Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Visit With Surgeon Today...

So my son and I had our first visit with the surgeon today. It went very well and we already have most of our "hoop jumping" scheduled during the next two weeks. I went on record as weighing 265, 5'5" and my son is 6'6", 429. We don't have to do a cardiac test but we do need the psych eval, the nutrition eval, RMR and H-pylori tests, and we will have upper GIs as opposed to the other test for checking our insides. We have to have a letter of approval from our PCP and a record of five years of weigh-ins in the doctors office . Bid all goes according to plan, we could have our surgeries in mid to late December. We are shooting for this year because our insurance deductibles have been met and next year will bring inevitable changes.

Sthanks for reading and cheers to all of us starting the journey, on the journey, or reaching their destination! Keep posting!

Good luck to you! I have been jumping through hoops and seeing dieticians, psyhcologist and everything else for 12 months. I am hoping for Jan 2013, I should have satisfied all the garbage for the insurance co :)

Thanks, Tstorm, but my goodness, 12 months?! Sometimes I think they (insurance companies) do that hoping we'll give up and go away. Good luck to you too.

Thank you. And yes its been actually longer. I had to do a 12 month supervised diet with my primary Dr AND then all the testing and classes etc through the clinic :( been a long time and I am ready!!

Tomorrow, my son and I have our psych evals. The 567 question questionnaire was such fun and only took three days to finish! My son (22) and his friends had a lot of fun with it.

I'll post the story of the visit to the shrink after our appointment tomorrow.

Did you do dr consultation before consulting with a surgeon? Are both of you guys doing this surgery?

Anyways, congrats on your work so far and best of luck to the both of you. I too have nearly met my yearly deductible and am lucky to have gotten a date in November as not only will it be an early birthday gift, but it will be a lot cheaper then it would have been if i had been scheduled next year.

We had our consultation with our surgeon last Wednesday and right after that we met with the patient advocate who set up all of our other appointments needed to get to surgery. For us, I think the hardest part is going to be getting our PCP to write the approval letter and also getting our weight stats for the last five years. We moved from CT to NV and we were never bigtime doctor goers. I've had to order our files from the doctors in CT and I am waiting on their mercy. We are lucky in that our healthcare plan does not carry any crazy demands like 3, 6 or 12 month supervised doctor visits or dieting.