Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Advice From Post Op Sleevers

I am scheduled to have Sleeve in Mexico later this month. I scheduled it to coincide with my transition to a new job. Now I'm having reservations about the timing and wanted to get the opinions of those that know what the recovery is like.

My situation: I will be traveling 1000 miles approximately 8 days after surgery and starting new job 10 days after surgery. It's an office job, so it's pretty sedentary. I know there is always the risk of complications, but if everything goes okay, do you think it's a bit too ambitious of me to think I can do this?

One other concern- I will be staying with a friend for approximately a month while my husband finalizes everything in the state I'm moving from and then joining me there. So I won't have much help.

I would appreciate any and all advice. I am so torn about what I should do. I want this surgery SO bad and I really don't want to delay it.

It's so hard to say! I felt great after surgery and returned to work on post-op day 10, I probably coul have gone back sooner too. But, I read on here all the time about folks feeling miserable for weeks after surgery. There are so many variables, and even then it's still not predictable. I think having complications is less likely than just feeling exhausted & uncomfortable.

Is there anyway to move your surgery up a week? Just to be safe?

like Frza said it really is hard to say.. everyone seems to heal differently. I was out shopping and walking all over the place 2 days post op and didn't have ANY pain after surgery.. but I've heard others say they were tired and needed to take pain meds. I work as an RN and spend 13 hours on my feet and was fine going back to work after 10 days.. but I was fairly active pre op. My mom was tired the whole first month after she had RNY and wanted to sleep all the time LOL she was 25 yrs older and much less active pre op though. Also I haven't had any complications at all..

maybe like the other poster said you could move your surgery date up a week to be safe? buy yourself some time just in case you don't feel up to going to work so soon? I knew I wouldn't be able to take any more time off work and I wanted this surgery so bad I just took a chance and I'm SOOOOOOOOOOO glad I did.. and my best guess is that you would be ok to follow your plan but prob best to have a back up plan just in case ;)

I believe that we do what we have to do. If you can't get the surgery one week earlier, then start walking now, and when the time for the surgery comes up, make the decision then if you should go ahead or not. Have a plan in action. :)

do you think it's a bit too ambitious of me to think I can do this?

lolly

IMO, i would call your new employer, askingif you could delay your start day. you want to make sure you feel fine, but the truth is you are making a move from one state to another - things would be better if you could wait to start a new job

your time of employment sounds too close to WLS - even if you feel fine post WLS (which many many people do, returning to work within a week) just sounds too close for comfort

good luck

Like everyone else - it really depends on you. I went back to work in 2 weeks & I live in NY so I have a crazy, crowded subway commute, but it was fine. I could've went back even earlier, but everyone is different... I'd like to say it would probably be fine....

I had no complications and could get in all my fluids, Proteins, soft foods. The difficulty for me was flat out fatigue, (due to incision pain) and inability to sleep on my side & tummy which I was use to, made me super tired plus recovery. Also my mind was very scattered due to the thinking required for my new tummy, lack of calories, carbs and sleep. I once put strawberry Supreme Protein Powder in my cream of mushroom Soup and wondered why it was turning pink? (thought it was unflavored protein) I did many of these types of careless mistakes my 2nd week post-op.

Starting a new job with that kind of confusion is what would most concern me not the physical aspect. It is hard to start any new job, even when you are in top mental and physical shape. If there is a way to get more time do it, each week of recovery makes a huge difference.

Well, as you know, we're all different. In my situation, I had no problems. I had my surgery on a Tuesday, in Mexico & was back to work the following Monday. (I know, others aren't as fortunate) As far as the move, no heavy lifting for 6 weeks. I wish you the best & will be thinking of you.

I am scheduled to have Sleeve in Mexico later this month. I scheduled it to coincide with my transition to a new job. Now I'm having reservations about the timing and wanted to get the opinions of those that know what the recovery is like.

My situation: I will be traveling 1000 miles approximately 8 days after surgery and starting new job 10 days after surgery. It's an office job, so it's pretty sedentary. I know there is always the risk of complications, but if everything goes okay, do you think it's a bit too ambitious of me to think I can do this?

One other concern- I will be staying with a friend for approximately a month while my husband finalizes everything in the state I'm moving from and then joining me there. So I won't have much help.

I would appreciate any and all advice. I am so torn about what I should do. I want this surgery SO bad and I really don't want to delay it.

Hello Lolly,

IMO I think it would be best to wait to have your sugery. My first reasoning is because you really don't know how you will come out. Some come out great and are back on their feet the next day. Some come out needing a few weeks, and some come out feeling down and lethargic for a few months. Let alone any major issues that might happen, that could set you back a good six months or longer.

The reason I caution you is because the job market plainly stinks right now, and I think anyone just starting out SHOULD make that their first priority. You will be a newbie there, and you will want to do a good job. I can tell you from experience that it took me a good 4 months to even get my head out of a tired fog I was in. I was not 100% for a long time. I would have had problems if I had a new job, regardless of what I was doing... which I am a desk worker.

Do you have some kind of probationary period? Perhaps waiting until that is over, and especially until your Husband can be there to assist you would be better timing.

NOT ONLY THAT but when you have weight loss surgery, you absolutely will want your whole focus to be on that. It is not easy, and staying completely focused is going to be of the utmost. If circumstances happen after that are a surprise then you will just have to deal with them, but if some are foreseen it is much better to wait.

Keep in mind this is my opinion only. Whatever you should decide, I wish you the best.

I'm 2 1/2 weeks out from surgery. I'm having a hard time getting in my fluids and Protein. I'm tired ALL the time. I'm a stay-@-home mom, so I am able to take it easy.

See what you can do to move the surgery up, or the start date of your new job back - or be sure you are able to handle the consequences, up to and including losing the job.

Good luck!

At 9 days out, I had to travel a little over 400 miles by car to attend nursing training. It was 10 hour training days, and I was on my feet for 6-8 hours per day for 3 days straight. I had paid the 4,000 non-refundable fee for the training long before I finished insurance requirements. Because of the surgeon's office screwing me around with a date, I had no choice. I won't lie, I felt lousy, but I drank a lot of carbs and full calorie Gatorade, and I was able to get through it. When I got back to the hotel every evening, I was knocked out until it was time to get up the next day. If it's new job orientation, and all you'll do is sit and listen, I think you'll be fine. Just make sure you're sipping the entire time, and go home and take naps everyday. Also, know in advance, the nearest hospital with a bariatric program, just in case you have complications. Good Luck!

My situation: I will be traveling 1000 miles approximately 8 days after surgery and starting new job 10 days after surgery. It's an office job' date=' so it's pretty sedentary. I know there is always the risk of complications, but if everything goes okay, do you think it's a bit too ambitious of me to think I can do this?

I would appreciate any and all advice. I am so torn about what I should do. I want this surgery SO bad and I really don't want to delay it.[/quote']

Every single person responds diff to surgery. I was also sleeved in Mexico (Acuna-thk thts the spelling) on Monday July 16th & started an office job the very next Monday July 23rd. I had no problems. Granted I was tired but no actual issues but minor things tht didnt interfere w my job. Im also a firm believer in "positive attidude" has a lot to do w recovery time. I went in w the attitude "I hv to recover by then." Im not talking abt major complications or anything but just a state of mind if that makes since.

About the help...as long as your careful about Not picking things up or pulling on things as stated by your doctor you should be okay or at least I was. I hv a grandson & it was hard not to pick him up. I had to wait 6 weeks & couldnt pick up anything over 25 lbs.

Everyone is different in their recovery process. That being said, I felt no pain after four days...and was able to resume my normal activities....but I was very tired for the first month or so. Just don't overdo it, listen to your body....it will tell you when you need to take it easy.

its different for every person, weight, height, pain tolerance all of these play a role in your recovery. I am 21 years old and was sleeved in September; by day 4 post-op I was working already.

Best of Luck! :)