Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WOW!!! I just paid for my lap band....

Well actually, my husband just did... hehe ....anyways.. My name is Raynie ...And this is my first post. Hello everyone! I am from Cali and my surgery date with Dr.Ortiz in Mexico is on Oct. 26th, I am very anxious and excited. I have been heavy for all my life and cant wait for a new journey! ~Raynie!

Thank goodness for supportive hubbys eh? Mine paid for my band too!

You won't regret a thing Raynie. As the nurse in surgery said just as they were putting me under, "This is the beginning of a whole new life for you"

Raynie,

I was just banded on 9/28 by Dr Ortiz in Mexico... He, Dr. Martinez, and the whole staff are FANTASTIC..

You will not regret your decision to go to him...

Good luck on your journey.

ANy questions regarding anything there please ask,

Peggy

Oh yays! its so nice to hear or see from other bandsters from Dr. Ortiz! I fully believe he will be the best! I dont even want the darn surgery to be done in the us. All I hear about is how much they have to go thru. I could not possiably wait another 6 months to schedule this procedure. I have to have it now! And then I will be saying I have to have a fill NOW! hehe

What a new life this will be! I keep getting discouraged a little about the stories of slow weight loss. Ugh! what a bummer. Sometime i think Gosh are they cheating? or what? Why isnt it working damnit! I dont want to fork out all this money for nothing. I would just die! Escpecially after I practically told everyone I know about this surgery! So they will all be looking at me over the next year or so to see progress. I can not be a failure again! Its seems easy- this is a tool, and we need to watch what we put in ourselfs. I just get worried about the rules. What not to eat. And how the heck do I not eat and drink at the same time? I dont understand that too much. I have been programmed to get full on Water while eating to eat less. So I am practicing it now to get into the habit later. its very hard! I even bought a timer to time my liquid intake. No drinking for an hour after! Is that to keep the food in the stomach longer, so I feel full longer? and what the heck does feeling full feel like? or at least on Lap Band. Just curious. Ok thanks everyone for all the replys! ~Raynie!

Hi Raynie--

Congrats on making such a great decision!!! You have found one of the best webistes around--there are so many knowledgable people here to help you through any questions that come up--just ask!

My opinion on the drinking and eating thing....I was just like you, I drank huge amounts when I ate, I weaned myself off of soda, but I drank ice tea by the gallons! Well when I was first banded, I can't say if I felt any different with drinking as I ate, I truly tried to follow the rules. Now, following 2 fills, I have found restriction!! I have 1.75cc in my band, and drinking with food is an engraved invitation to a PB! It feels like the liquid goes in and floats the food right up into my esophagus. Not sure exactly what really happens, but thats how it feels to me!!! I am at a point now, where I don't really miss the drinking with my meals. I wait for about an hour and then drink as I want.

As for how it feels to be full...have you ever eaten and eaten at Thanksgiving and it feels like you have no room left to breath, let alone eat another bite? It is similar to that for me, after only a few bites. I now eat approximately 10-12 bites...small ones, mostly Protein and veggies, and I feel totally full. I have learned the feel of it before getting to the miserable stage, for the most part...not always. Sometimes I am talking, or not paying attention, and wham!!! I am overfull!

But since I am feeling full, and seldom feel really hungry, I don't feel deprived. I eat so much less now, that if I feel a craving for something sweet, I have a bite or 2 and am fine with it.

I love my band!! My surgery was very easy, no serious pain, no gas issues. A very uneventful surgery and recovery...I wish the same for you!! I too went to Mexico, and flew home the 3rd day without issue.

I am even learning to enjoy exercise!!! Who woulda thunk it???

Good Luck to you!!!

Kat

Raynie,

Before surgery I thought the same as you did, how can I ever eat without drinking, what about my diet cokes, what does full fell like...

I thought I would give up diet coke before surgery so I would be ready.. well, that didn't work BUT I can tell you that once you have surgery you WILL know what full feels like. and since you are on Clear Liquids for 7 days post op you don't have to worry about eating and drinking at the same time...lol... I am only 5 days post op and I have been doing clears and I truly am NOT hungry.. a few sips and I am okay.. no telling what the next stage will bring but I am ready for it.. 3 more days and I can go on to the creamy soups... and drinkable yogart..

My suggestion to you is not to fret too much over this..although easier said then done.. as my date drew closer I began questioning myself more and more and found out through reading here and on Dr Ortiz's forum that that is a natual feeling.

Enjoy your meals now.. not pigging out or overdoing but eat regularly..you will get your pre op diet form Dr Miranda and just follow that.. Like I said I finally said I need my diet coke ,but now since surgery I am fine without it...

As far as some of the other posts with some people losing slower than others, each of us is an individual and so is our rate of weight loss. I am just going to go by the theory that I will follow instructions to the letter and see what happens.. if it's slower than what I think is normal . I will consult with the doctors..

Good luck to you, take a deep breath and know you are going to be in excellent hands.

Peggy

Oh my ladies, that is great news! I thank you for posting and gratz on your successes already! *hugs* I am sure to be posting for along time now and making new friends! I wish you guys all the best and send me pics and keep me posted of your ups and downs! *cheers!*

~Raynie!