Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 60+ and from Michigan. I started this process over two years ago when I found out my insurance company wouldn't approve unless you participated first in a 1 year physician guided weight-loss program. My husband and I went together, I lost about 30 lbs (he lost 60), but we had to eat their food which was very expensive. When we began to reintroduce what I call "street food", I began to gain even as we started maintenance. Of course, I gained it all back plus..... After reading "The Patient's Guide to Weight Loss Surgery" I realized no diet was ever going to work. So I started to re-pursue my first Quest for bariatric surgery. That started this past April, 2012 when I went to my PCP and had him apply for me as well as wrote my own letter to H.A.P., my insurance company. And here I am!....Surgery scheduled for Oct. 22. Seems like a long road, but not as long as I have been overweight. BMI now 41-42 with lots of health issues like blood pressure, arthritis, cholesterol, low Vit. D, incontinence, sleep apnea and more.

I am 63, wife is 61. I was sleeved Jan. 16, 2012, she got Roux N Y in Nov. 2011. We are both in single digits to our goal.

She has shed diabetes, sleep apnea, and high cholesteral. I got rid of high blood pressure, sleep apnea, and diabetes.

This is the best move we ever made together except for getting married. :wub: :D

Hey Justsleeven!!! We are sleeve sisters, my surgery is on the 22nd!!! I to am turning 60 on the 15th of this month and this is kind of like a re-birthday gift to myself :wub: I to suffer from HBP, diabetes, osteoarthritis, joint pain, just to name a few.. Is your husband going through the surgery with you? We should definitely keep in touch...What do you think???

Deb

Yes we are sleevin' sisters Deb! Aren't you excited??? The closer it gets the more excited I get. Like most of us, I have tried so many things only to be disappointed with either the loss or the super-gain afterwards. I did a lot of research on the gastric banding before I considered this, and it wasn't until my surgeon told me that the success rate for banding is not very good after 5 years. My sister-in-law had Roux-n-Y last year and lost 81 lbs so far. She was about 10 lbs heavier than me, is a little taller, younger and less co-morbidities. It was the high HA1C's, not full-blown Type 2 diabetic but very close, that really made me decide. Now I wish my husband would consider, he's Insulin dependent Type 2 for many years and not very compliant with diet. Maybe I can convince him after I get mine done.

Let's definitely keep in touch!!!!

Yes we are sleevin' sisters Deb! Aren't you excited??? The closer it gets the more excited I get. Like most of us, I have tried so many things only to be disappointed with either the loss or the super-gain afterwards. I did a lot of research on the gastric banding before I considered this, and it wasn't until my surgeon told me that the success rate for banding is not very good after 5 years. My sister-in-law had Roux-n-Y last year and lost 81 lbs so far. She was about 10 lbs heavier than me, is a little taller, younger and less co-morbidities. It was the high HA1C's, not full-blown Type 2 diabetic but very close, that really made me decide. Now I wish my husband would consider, he's Insulin dependent Type 2 for many years and not very compliant with diet. Maybe I can convince him after I get mine done.

Let's definitely keep in touch!!!!

You got it...I sent you a private message :)

I am 63, wife is 61. I was sleeved Jan. 16, 2012, she got Roux N Y in Nov. 2011. We are both in single digits to our goal.

She has shed diabetes, sleep apnea, and high cholesteral. I got rid of high blood pressure, sleep apnea, and diabetes.

This is the best move we ever made together except for getting married. :wub: :D

I think its just wonderful that you and your wife both had wls together..talk about your commitment to each other :wub:

I am new to this site I recently joined and I was sleeved on Oct. 2, 2012. I have been looking for posts from people who have diabetes. This is the reason I finally did the surgery. My sugars were out of control and I couldn't keep them down. In July my a1c was 10.3. In Aug. I attended my first class and decided to sleeve. I jumped through all the hoops and by Oct. 2, my a1c was down to 7.5. It was tough getting there but my readings were still up and down. I am 8 days out and I am no longer on my pills. My surgeon told me to monitor my insulin use. If my b/s was good I was not to take my insulin. He told me if I had to take it to take only half my usual dose. Guess what? Yup I have only had to use insulin twice and very little cause I was not sure. It feels WONDERFUL not to be worried what my b/s will be, another thing is the Neuropothy pain in my left foot and leg is almost all gone. This surgery is a big change but I feel blessed that I was able to do it. I would love to keep hearing from other diabetics and their progress on this journey. I do have one question. I have lost 10 lbs in one week. Is this normal? He has me on Clear Liquids and 30 grams of Protein Shake.< /p>

I am new to this site I recently joined and I was sleeved on Oct. 2, 2012. I have been looking for posts from people who have diabetes. This is the reason I finally did the surgery. My sugars were out of control and I couldn't keep them down. In July my a1c was 10.3. In Aug. I attended my first class and decided to sleeve. I jumped through all the hoops and by Oct. 2, my a1c was down to 7.5. It was tough getting there but my readings were still up and down. I am 8 days out and I am no longer on my pills. My surgeon told me to monitor my insulin use. If my b/s was good I was not to take my insulin. He told me if I had to take it to take only half my usual dose. Guess what? Yup I have only had to use insulin twice and very little cause I was not sure. It feels WONDERFUL not to be worried what my b/s will be, another thing is the Neuropothy pain in my left foot and leg is almost all gone. This surgery is a big change but I feel blessed that I was able to do it. I would love to keep hearing from other diabetics and their progress on this journey. I do have one question. I have lost 10 lbs in one week. Is this normal? He has me on clear liquids and 30 grams of Protein Shake.< /p>

Hi congratulations on your being sleeved, I'm almost there just 12 more days and I'm getting very excited. I to am diabetic however mine is easily controlled by my diet choices. 10lb loss is great, I say enjoy it while it lasts because it slows down way to soon for me, LOL I need to ask is your Dr only having you take in 30 gms of Protein daily?...just curious ^_^

Yes he has me on 30 gms of Protein daily. Before the surgery I was on 100 grams of protein. I have been on Premier Nutrition High Protein Shakes for 4 1/2 weeks. Next Tuesday I can begin eating soft foods. I am wanting something to chew on finally. lol, can't very well chew on shakes and all this liquid. Although I am still grateful. I wanted to ask of others in the community, I really am not starving just bored with lack of choice, but I see others saying they are hungry. I was told they cut off the part of the stomach that makes you feel more hunger. Anyone ?

Yes he has me on 30 gms of Protein daily. Before the surgery I was on 100 grams of Protein. I have been on Premier Nutrition High Protein shakes for 4 1/2 weeks. Next Tuesday I can begin eating soft foods. I am wanting something to chew on finally. lol, can't very well chew on shakes and all this liquid. Although I am still grateful. I wanted to ask of others in the community, I really am not starving just bored with lack of choice, but I see others saying they are hungry. I was told they cut off the part of the stomach that makes you feel more hunger. Anyone ?

I am much less hungry. I still can go food hunting if I don't watch myself but it is not the same kind of desperate scrounging that I used to do. I was hitting the food hard for over 60 years, that itch is still in the brain. My stomach is now an ally that holds me back and wakes me up.

I am 63 and was sleeved on 9/20. I have diabetes II, hypertension, high trigylcerides, bad cholesteral, sleep apnea, arthritis, etc. My goal in this is to eliminate all those 'lifestyle' meds. ( I do know that some of the diseases are not necessarily caused by lifestyle but I never gave them a chance to get better by improving my diet and exercise). My need for glypicide (sp), metformin and 45 units of lantus each day as been reduced to 15 units of lantus when my reading is over 160. I take my blood pressure twice daily and only twice have I needed to take my metropol. I won't know about the A1c, tris, and cholesteral until October 29 when I have my next lab draw. The neurotin has been eliminated as well but I did notice some hand pain and stiffness this morning. Hoping that is short term.

Mostly feel good but have had some episodes of pain that they believe are gall bladder related. Trying to hold off on a scan in hopes that it will resolve itself.

Best of luck to you. I have no regrets and will feel even better if I can completely empty the pill box except for Vitamins, etc.

I'm with you.. took me nearly 60 years to face the fact that I cannot successfully reach my goal weight and when I do lose, I cannot keep off. I joined this group a short time ago and seldom post but read what everyone writes hour after hour. I feel totally confident going forward with all the info I've learned here and love the fact that I have a support group waiting to help if I faulter.

I had my first consultation appointment this week and have already made each and every appointment needed to have everything wrapped up by surgery time in January when insurance will kick finally kick in! I was a little down, having to wait now that I've made the decision, but fully understand making sure I'm physically, emotionally and mentally prepared for this journey so I now look forward to start eating more like I will post op, getting into the exercise habit, and stocking up on all the food and supplements I'll need post op and planning my new life.

Good luck to all of us 60ish people who know we still have some of the very best years of our lives ahead!

Can't wait until I can post my surgery date! Good luck to you..it's not long now!! Keep us posted.

MGT