Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May Bandsters~October Chat

Hey fellow Maysters!

here is our new home for the month of October. Geez... October already! Where has the year gone?? Can hardly believe Christmas will be here before we know it!

I am hanging tough for now with my band. I haven't lost (or gained!) anything in the past month or so. I go next Monday for my flouro and hope to get back on track after that. I am wearing size 18 for the most part now with some 16's thrown in. Not bad from the tight 22's I was in in May!

I have been pretty stressed out in my life lately. My hubby and I are having some difficulties in our marriage right now in addition to his health problems. I think adding to the stress is me wanting a baby (now that my PCOS is totally under control, according to my gyno that I saw last week! NSV!!!) and feeling like I am having to put that on hold because he can't get healthy. I know that probably sounds selfish to some people but I can't help the way I feel. I feel like I have sacrificed so much for him and for him to be pulling the BS he has been lately is huge slap in the face. I just feel very lost and confused most of the time lately. I have agreed to try and work things out with him and see if we can't get back on track. I take my marriage vows very seriuosly and hope and pray he does too.

Thanks for listening to me vent. You guys mean the world to me!

Peace.

Drews - Sorry to hear you guys are having a hard time. Marriage is stressful under normal circumstances and when you throw health issues into the mix it is even more so. I will be keeping you and your husband in my prayers.

Thanks for starting the new thread.

Drewslou, I am sorry you are dealing with this mess.

I have regained a few pounds recently, but am back on track after a pretty good couple of days. I really let emotional stuff get to me.

For those that were wondering, my diabetic kidney disease has been mild, but slowly getting worse. I just found out that my doc estimates that I will need dialysis in one or two years. I am so afraid I did this surgery too late. I am trying not to keep that defeatist mindset and I am determined to make the most of my life.

With that in mind, I am going to Vegas for a week this Saturday by myself. I will see Phantom of the Opera and Elton John while I am there. I gamble a good bit and get to stay at some nice places for free. My meals are usually comped, too, although I find I don't eat very much while I am gambling. LOL! It's an expensive diet!!! Maybe i will lose a little more.:biggrin1: Wish me luck!!!

Marcy do you have any neuropathy with your diabetes?

I have it in my legs from my knees down and I am seeing a neurologist in the afternoon tomorrow. Hopefully I will get some meds that will help.

My PCP gave me Vicoden last week for when the tingles get real bad which they do when I walk alot.

I tried doing a shallow Water workout at the local pool and it put me in the bed for a week. I could barely hobble to the bathroom.

DrewsLou it sounds like ya'll have had a lot of stressors from yours husbands health virtually from the beginning of your marriage. Things like that are tough but can make you stronger.

My husband and I dated two weeks and got married. I immediately got pregnant. I mean I had the corny honeymoon baby who came nine months and four days after we got married. Three months after we married he got the chicken pox of all things. The day before we had our six month anniversary our house caught fire and burned. My mother was in the hospital on TEN different occasions the first year we were married. As a matter of fact she was in ICU in one hospital in my hometown while I was delivering in the other hospital. She wouldn't let them do ANYTHING to her till she knew we were okay. She passed away 54 weeks after we married. I was in the hospital twice. We moved three time because of the house burning. I delivered my daughter two weeks after the third move. I has to quit working because I developed gestational diabetes and worked nights. I was the major breadwinner and it liked to have ruined us financially.

I used to say to my husband if we didn't crack under that stress then we are meant to be together. We have our seventeen year anniversary October 13.

But for you to have gotten this far makes you one tough lady. Sticking it out through the tough times makes the good time so much more meaningful. You've got a good heart. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Myra

Drews -- I hope things start looking better for you.

Marcy -- Does the dr. think that as you lose weight, your kidney disease will get better? Or is the damage permanent? I'm so sorry to hear about this. I don't know anything about this disease.....is a kidney transplant a possibility? I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Myra -- Your story is very inspirational. We lost our house to fire in 1989. It was the worse day of my life. But, like you, I do believe it made our marraige stronger.

I have a question for everyone.....do you take ibuprofen? Ever? I know my book I got from the dr. says no ibuprofen but my shoulder hurts so bad, it's the only thing that even dents the pain. My husband says I have a torn rotator cuff. It's getting so bad that under my shoulder blade is going numb now. It's hard to explain, but it's just a wrong feeling. I'm going to an orthopedic dr. on Monday, but I'll have to tell her no ibuprofen. I'll also get her to call my surgeon to find out what I can take. For some reason, even when I walk for more than 15-20 minutes my shoulder and arm go numb.......so annoying. And the more weight I lose, the worse it gets. Do you think the fat was padding the damaged shoulder?

Marci - My doctor did not have any concerns about my taking ibuprofen. I know others do so I try to reserve it for my 1 or 2 crampy days a month. I can relate to the shoulder pain though. I've done something to mine and I havn't been taking anything. I plan on talking to my surgeon about NSAIDs, like ibuprofen, before I see my primary care doc because I know she is going to want me to take one in some form or another.

I'll let you know what I find out. It might be a while though since I tend to procrastinate about things like this. In the mean time, keep us posted.

OK -- I called my surgeon and they told me that as long as I'm taking the regular strength and not extra strength, I should be ok till I talk to the ortho doc. They said with the band, it doesn't sit in your pouch too long, unlike bypass. But the person I talked to said to have the ortho doc call them and let them know what type of pain meds they want to put me on. And liquids are best. It will be good just to make the pain stop.

Someone mentioned early about going to dense protiens. I've been trying to push the dense protiens and it seems like my loss is starting again. I know I don't eat near as much and I have to eat slow......just what the doctor ordered!!!!!! Now.......I just need to get my Water intake back up.

Myra, I cannot believe what you have been through in your lifetime! Makes me feel like a real whiner.

Yup, I have neuropathy too--Just in my feet. In fact, I just had ingrown toenail surgery and it doesn't hurt a bit since those nerves are shot. I get the bad tingles, too and haven't found anything that helps it. I have been afraid to try a new prescription because I hear they can make you fuzzy-headed and I have to think straight to work.

My doc hopes that if I lose weight and my diabetes improves (which it already is), that my kidneys may get a little better. Temporarily, that is. A transplant may be an option, but I am a pediatrician and surrounded by germy kids all the time and don't know if I can work and take the necessary immunosuppressants if I am transplanted.

By the way, I take ibuprofen also, but only when I really need it.

Hey MarcyD I hear you about the neuropathy. I went to a Neurologist today. I am kinda hard headed and have put it off for about ten years.

Well I got an EMG and of course I have no sensory nerves from mid-shin down but my motor nerves are all intact.

But I do have early neuropathy in my left ulnar nerve. How weird is that. I noticed in the past two years the my ring and pinkie fingers will get all tingly if I put pressure on my arm like hanging it on the window of my car.

So tonight I started on Neurontin and will see how that does.

Have you tried the Infrared light therapy for your feet? I may try that in a couple of months.

Wow you have my utmost admiration to keep working and be on your feet like I know healthcare providers are. I worked ICU for many many years and walked lots of miles on those hard concrete hospital floors.

So far my eyes and kidneys are okay. No high blood pressure either. Just the neuropathy that just drives me crazy!!!!!!!!!!! Also the teeth. Can't walk or chew. HA HA HA.

Well I'm am going on vacation until Sunday so ya'll take it easy.

Myra

Drews: Sorry to hear of the issues your having at home. Thoughts and prayers to ya!

In fact, thoughts and prayers to all of you, I'm saddened by the health issues some of us are having. I'm hoping as we shrink, so do our issues.

I have been home since Friday and its been really nice to be here. Even though its been rain rain rain. Only news I have is I lost one more lb. Wowee huh? One down, 60ish to go.... slow like a turtle but I'll get there.

Hope all are well and things are looking up this evening.

Well, I am finally posting my pictures. The first one is me at about 315ish. I had to look long and hard to find a real "before" picture. I rarely got in front of the camera the last few years. I was about the same when I started the pre-op diet!

The second one is from last Saturday at about 249. I can finally see the 66 pound difference.

post-204351-13813134466529_thumb.jpg

post-206932-13813134181609_thumb.jpg

Holy Moly Linda!!!! What a difference! You should be proud of yourself.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: