Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie Intoduction And Question

To the amazing VST community! You are all awesome in my book!

The decision to have WLS hit me about a month ago and I began my research. I went to an informational meeting and have my consultation appointments this Tuesday on October 9th, 2012. I refer to the decision as "hit me" because that's pretty much what it was. I am 59, have been obese nearly my entire life and have been unable to maintain any significant or tiny weight loss. I considered surgery about 4 years ago and had the same thoughts I see others have... I should be able to do this on my own, why would I take such a drastic measure, etc, etc... But this time...it is right for me and I know it without a doubt. I have, so far, had an amazing life but I'm about to take an action that will extend my life and make it much more enjoyable!

I will able to retire in a few years and move back to another state where my grown sons, their wives and my two little grandsons reside. I absolutely cannot wait! My entire focus the past few years has been to position myself for that new portion of my life, but now this new and thrilling option of the gaining the help I need to claim control my weight and its limitations, has taken over my every waking moment!

You guys on this site are amazing. The positive way you deal with those of us with only the dream of a better us, is to be commended. I've found several of you to be my "faves" particularily OTR Sleever, LilMissDiva and AngelBaby... mainly because the positive way you provide truly pertinent content in your postings. There are tons more of you who have provided amazing info so my intent is not to start out my journey with any "haters." =] It's all love and caring here!!

One of my concerns that I have not seen anywhere here is this:

I have to change insurance options so will not be covered until January of 2013 which means I'm at least 3-4 months out and self-pay is not an option for several years and most likely never. I currently have a 241 BMI with only hypertension as a comorbidity. I am so stoked, excitied, reved up..insert whatever word fits here to describe my over-the-moon excitement to get going on my healithier life but here's the problem. I lose weight pretty easily because I can follow healthy eating and great workout plans to a "T" for certain amounts of time. I would not be here if I could maintain that lifestyle - thus WLS to add to my toolbox.

According to my calculations, I could easily hit a lower BMI BEFORE the surgery and knock myself out of insurance qualifications.

I basically need to maintain or loose very little.

Currently I've been thinking over these possibilities but thought I'd get some good advise/opinions from all of you who know more than me about this adventure!

I have just joined this site, myfitnesspal.com and have preordered a fitbit. I have extensive info on pre and post op food options, proteins/carbs/fats required and I know how to calculate exercise/calories burned.

So the only option I see for me is to monitor carefully my weight while replacing muscle weight with fat weight and with changing my current horrid eating habits with those I will be following post surgery..with the exception of amounts I guess.

I also have to remember there will be a pre op diet plan which could very well pull several pounds off. I don't mind the time and energy this level of management/monitoring will take, but I just want to get it right..not spin my wheels and sabotage myself. I expect on Tuesday, when I see the NUT, I'll be handed the "usual" info which is to start the eating/exercise plan now. I'd love to channel all this excitement and energy into that, but it could also mean no surgery if I'm successful! So how am I supposed to manage this??

Finally, if I'm nutzo here please just say so! I've constructed a pretty tough shell over the years!! =] I truly appreciate your thoughts, suggestions, ideas, comments... You have all contributed more than you can ever know to what is going to be, my next "best years of my life!" Thank you, thank you, thank you!

MGT !

Just to clarify, you stated your BMI is 241? That is your current weight, I presume.

To answer one question. Wherever you are when you start the process is what will be recorded. It is anticipated that some loss will occur and should not hinder the decision for the surgery.

I started with one BMI, by surgery date that will definitey change because I'm already 16 pounds down from the initial consult. My hope is to be down at least 4 more if not more. My surgery is already set.

Edited by PatientlyWtng

Oooops!

BMI 41

Weight 262

Welcome to the forum MGT,

I will start by saying that all of your concerns are valid. I'm not really too familiar with insurance as I am for the most part self insured(I have a $15K deductible). What I am wondering is, do you know who you are going to be insured through & what plan you will have? If yes try enquiring what weight they will use, if you start the program before coverage begins will they honor Dr. supervised diets tgat started before coverage? Do they require previous verifiable weight loss attempts?

Your proactivmess might just save you a couple months.

Oooops!

BMI 41

Weight 262

Any co-morbidities? Arthritis, back pain, sleep apnea, diabetes?

Only hypertension

One of the 4 I see on Tuesday is the finance person. The questions about what weight/bmi timing the nsurance co uses, and if they'll include the dr supervised program .. will be good to ask then! And what they require regarding previous attempts- Thanks.. have a list for the doc, but had not begun one for the others... here we go...more lists!

Sincerely appreciated

MGT