Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April 2006 Bandits October Challenge

OK April Bandits, here we go, it's OCTOBER!

This month's challenge is as follows:

(1) Complete at least 17 workouts that are 35 minutes in duration or longer.

(2) For one or more of your workouts, try something (anything!) new that takes you out of your exercise comfort zone (A new class? Why not fencing! :fencing:Or boxing? :boxing:Go for a walk in the rain? :rain: Sign up for your first race? :P). Report back to us on what new activity you tried.

We can do it! The holidays are around the corner -- sign up for the challenge and meet your goals! Woohoo!!

Hey Julie,

I am definitely in. I didn't get much real exercise in the last week of September. I had a yard sale yesterday and spent all of last week going through closets, etc. getting ready for it. Between working all day and doing that in the evening, I just didn't have time to fit exercise in too. But I am back on the ball effective today!

I'm in also. September's challenge taught me a lot about the importance of being consistent with my exercise.

Well, I just got back from the gym. One down, 16 to go. I had planned to try something new today -- the "wave" cardio machine, which is similar to my beloved elliptical, but is more of a roller skating action (i.e. you push out and work the thighs), but I didn't make it. I've had a sour stomach for about 3 days (I'm tighter with TOM and always had a sour stomach during that time, even pre-band, though it's worse now) and I wasn't up for it. So, I did 36 minutes on the elliptical and called it a day. Again, but for this challenge, I wouldn't have gone at all, so I'm enjoying checking in with you all.

I'd been "paused" in my WL for about 10 days but I'm back on the losing side again as of this morning. I'm aiming for a very good exercise and diet month in October. I might join the century club this month (9 lbs to go)!

Wow, Julie, that would be so impressive, to lose 100 lbs in six months! Your weight loss always inspires me.

I didn't begin the October Challenge yet because a) it has been raining all day, and :P it's Sunday and I like to take the weekend off. But tomorrow morning at 10, I'll be in Movement class, and then do extra laps to extend my swim to 35 minutes.

And now, for your amusement, and to kick off the October Challenge, I offer a poem titled "Exercise" that Garrison Keillor read yesterday on National Public Radio. The opening of the poem offers valuable advice on the mind-set of exercise, but from that starting point, you'll see it goes far afield indeed!

"Exercise"

by W.S. Merwin from Migration: New and Selected Poems

First forget what time it is

for an hour

do it regularly every day

then forget what day of the week it is

do this regularly for a week

then forget what country you are in

and practice doing it in company

for a week

then do them together

for a week

with as few breaks as possible

follow these by forgetting how to add

or to subtract

it makes no difference

you can change them around

after a week

both will help you later

to forget how to count

forget how to count

starting with your own age

starting with how to count backward

starting with even numbers

starting with Roman numerals

starting with fractions of Roman numerals

starting with the old calendar

going on to the old alphabet

going on to the alphabet

until everything is continuous again

go on to forgetting elements

starting with Water

proceeding to earth

rising in fire

forget fire

I finished my 15th workout for September last night! (I did start the challenge late, but no excuses.)

Thank you everyone for the encouragement. I officially broke through my plateau. Got on the scale this morning to find I had lost 4 pounds since starting the challenge! AND I pulled out some size 12 pants and skirts from my old "skinny" storage bins. They are a tiny snug, but I can zip! I filled the box up with all my 16's, 18's and anything that had an "X" on it!! woohoo! Size 8/10, here I come.

Come on ladies, let's go!

Congratulations Boo on meeting the Sept. challenge, and getting into those size 12's!!!! I do think that after the Oct. challenge you'll likely get into those 8/10's!!!!

Roberta

Roberta: Thanks for the encouragement. I don't know...it seems so far off. But I am going to get there, no matter how many challenges it takes!

Goooooooooo Boo! Go!

8/10 -- ahhh, that sounds fabulous.

I just bought my first XLs in "normal" stores yesterday (Ann Taylor, the Gap and banana Repulic all fit -- even one L in Ann Taylor). That felt good too.

I'm in too. One quick question....does running around with twelve 11 year old kids for 2 hours count? We had a birthday party on Saturday (tag, egg toss and trampoline) and all I know is I was exhausted when we were done.

Yeah, I did it.....just got in my 15 days for Sept, but am proud that a lot of days got in more than an hour of exercise. This has been a great incentive for me to get in my 15 days - thanks for all the encouragement from all. Onward to October.

Just wanted to let you all know that my 6 month band anniv. is coming up

on the 7th and I'm down (as of last Friday - I weigh on Friday's) 49 lbs!

All of our anniv.'s are coming up...............congrats to all! This 66 year young Grammy of 8 is feeling great, off all prescription drugs (anti-inflamatories, high blood pressure meds and PROZAK)......YIPEE.

Happy weight losses to all of us in the remainder of our first year.

You girls are so cute! Here you are clapping for me, when I have lost the least weight of the group. Thanks for your encouragement. It does feel good to get the biggest clothes out of the closet. It is less cluttered and I'm more excited to look in there.

I remember how I longed to buy clothes in the "normal" department instead of the plus-size department in the back corner of the store. The only thing worse was to put on outfit after outfit and walk out of the store empty-handed because it all looked so hideous on me. Instead, I have spent money on gorgeous, expensive scarves and designer bags because they would always look nice and fit. I never dreamed that I would EVER fit into an 8/10 again. If so, I'll still have my scarves/bags AND some hot clothes!!

We are really ALL going to do this!

OK, I posted in the Sept. challenge before I found this!!! Not going to relive the TX trip, again!!!! I forgot the 2006 when I did the search....duh!!! Anyway.....count me in!!! Today we took 2 walks, and cut and hauled a cord of cedar wood in....wish I could claim that as my new and different work out, but lately hauling wood is a normal thing for me!!! My niece is supposed to come over this next week, and we are going to learn to hula hoop again....her for the first time, I am going to try to relearn it!!! I used to be good....used to be, as in a lifetime ago!!! She needs an adult to be in a hula contest with her....grass skirt and all, and her Mama (my niece...little one is technically a great niece) is due to have a baby in a month...she fits in the hula hoop even less than I do!!! So if I ever get the hang of it again, that may count!!! I figure the belly is my problem area, so maybe this is a good thing to do!! I have seen some girls bring a hoop into Curves and do it on the recovery stations....hmmmmmm

Good Luck guys....Off we go into October shrinking by the day!!!!

Kat