Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've been a hit and miss board lurker recently, so I just saw in your signature that you have to have your band removed. I'm so sorry. How are you feeling?

Nancy

Thanks, Nancy.

Physically, I feel just the same, except for thinking my tummy feels tender off and on, but I think that is due more to my imagination about what's going on down there than anything else.

Emotionally, I took a couple of days to bawl my eyes out and freak over how on earth I'm going to maintain my weightloss, and after much support from BF and you guys, and tons of soul searching, I decided I am as prepared emotionally for what comes next as I'll ever be. If I need physical help (and I can't imagine why I wouldn't), I will take Meridia or something that is stimulant free to help dial-down the physical hunger.

I feel so normal now, I'm not sure I remember what it was like before being banded, so it's hard for me to predict what will come next. I plan on leaning on everyone here for lots of support, though!

I'll keep everyone posted - hopefully the recovery won't be too bad, and I'll feel good as new within a couple of weeks of unbanding.

:D

Donali -- you sound like you're in a pretty good place about all this. Since I had my fill removed last week, it's been shocking to see how easily old habits -- emotional eating, etc. -- can creep back in. I'm practically joyful at being able to eat without fear of pain, discomfort, etc.

At the same time, it's good to see the band helped minimize some of those habits. It's now up to me to really, really work with it.

I tried getting the 411 on your band removal from previous posts, but I couldn't quite piece it together. From what I gather, your band eroded, for reasons unknown -- and you're having it removed. Will you go back and have it in again? How long do you have to wait.

Since I have to go back and have mine re-positioned because of the slip, I've thought about getting it removed. There's always the risk of it slipping again, and while I HOPE I would make every effort to avoid that, the best intentions can go to hell in a handbasket when it comes to me and food. And I don't want to be on an endless cycle of corrective surgery -- not to mention bankruptcy.

Unlike my weight pre-band, I feel like the amount I'd like to lose now (another 35-40 lbs) is more manageable through diet and exercise. (I'm good about working out.) But, then again, the band has gotten me this far.

Best of luck with your surgery next week; I'll be keeping up with you here!

Elizabeth

08-28-03

-55 and holding

Thanks, Elizabeth.

Yes, you've pretty much pieced the story together.

Supposedly after about 6 months I would be eligible for rebanding, but at this time it's not an option as a self-pay. Plus the vast majority of the info I've gotten is that there is an increased chance of erosion for the next time if you eroded the first time.

I'm going to see how it goes, and if I start struggling look at my options again.

Good luck with your decision.

Donali, Do you have someone that will be going with you for the band removal? Will someone be at home with you after surgery?

Hi Jeanie -

My Mom is going to be with me during the surgery, and get me home. If I need anything she's only a few blocks away - after my banding I kind of lived on my couch for a couple of weeks, and my couch is waaay more comfortable than hers. :D