Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can Someone Please Help Me Understand Fills?

Hello everyone, first please let me just say you all are great and I congratulate all of you on your weight loss or taking the steps to enter your new journey in life...I myself am just getting the ball rolling...After waiting two years to make a consulation appointment I finally did but before that appointment happens on 10/24 I am trying to understand this surgery and lifestyle change as best as I can....There is one thing i do not understand and it is the fills....What are they? Why do we need them? What do they do for us? How often do you get them? Is is a quick process when you get them etc? Any advice or help on this or any part of the surgery and what to expect would be unbelievably helpful....You guys are great, thanks!!!

I'm new to this for myself, DH was banded a couple of years ago, and I've seen him get fills.

The procedure itself goes quick and easy for him. They stick a needle into your stomach where your port is, and just inject or remove the saline. Much like getting a shot. He saysi t doesn't hurt at all.

What they are is adjusting the size of the band, which is what restrict the amount of food that can pass through and how quickly. When you get to the right point, you can eat a small amount, and stay full for 3-4 hours as I understand it. Too tight, and you can't eat healthy foods. Too loose and you can eat too much.

What are they? Why do we need them? What do they do for us? How often do you get them? Is is a quick process when you get them etc?
The band is placed around you, but typically does not restrict the opening much. In other words, it's usually about as big around as you are. Think when you put a watch on, and tighten it just enough that it doesn't move around a bunch. That's kind of like your band, only it's secured in place by some stitches. It's not really squeezing you, but there isn't a lot of extra room either.

The bands have "balloons" built on the inside. They are deflated originally, but fills "fill" the balloon with saline. As the balloon inflates, it makes the opening smaller and smaller.

10cm-vg-lapbands.jpg

"Fills" are what fill up the little balloon areas you see in the pictures above. Having those filled up is what causes restriction -- the passageway between esophagus and stomach is "restricted" by the pressure the balloon puts on your organ... so now take that watch, and make the band as tight as you can get it. Your hand will start to turn red because the flow of blood is restricted. Bands do the same thing, but with food.

Fills are done with a needle filled with saline. When your band is placed, they also place a port. Ports are self-closing, meaning they can be punctured, but will seal back up. The surgeon will insert the needle through your tissue into the fill and push saline into some tubing that eventually makes its way to the "balloon".

Fills are usually given on an as-needed basis, with the first one often being 6 - 8 weeks post-op. What you can eat, or more specifically how much of it, before no longer feeling hungry, frequency of eating, etc. are all things your surgeon will use to gauge whether or not you're ready for another fill (that's a great question to ask your surgeon when you have your consultation -- what does he let drive whether or not to fill, and how aggressive is he with fills). In a way you know if you need a fill or not because if you're past your post-op recovery phase, and still eating just like you did before surgery, you probably don't have enough restriction. If you can't keep liquids down, you have too much and will need an unfill, where the surgeon inserts the same needle but pulls out Fluid instead of putting more in.

Here is a visual I sent someone that I was trying to explain the band to:

Hope this helps!

post-205294-13813134175012_thumb.png

Wow, that was a detailed post Wheetsin! I just had a fill today and still enjoyed reading it!

Soprano...I just got my second post-op fill this morning and they are a breeze! My doc talks to me during my appointments and if we decide I need a fill he says "hop on" and I get on the table and we're done in a few minutes. No biggie!

The procedure itself goes quick and easy for him. They stick a needle into your stomach where your port is, and just inject or remove the saline. Much like getting a shot. He saysi t doesn't hurt at all.

Lisah....I had to chuckle when I read this. I'm not sure I would have had the band if I read this. Just want new people to know the needle doesn't go into the stomach. It goes into the skin and then the port....I fear needles as it is but I have never had a fill that I felt. Sure that wouldn't be the same if it went into the stomach...lol

Wheetsin. I too liked your post. It explains it with very little left to understand

Great post Wheetsin!! I wanted to add that, depending on the doctor, you may also be put on a table for a scan while drinking a Fluid called fluoro. It tastes pretty nasty but it gives the doctor a view of the fluid going through the band and helps him/her gauge how much to fill it. Some doctors do this, some don't. That's another thing you may want to ask during your consult.

Lisah....I had to chuckle when I read this. I'm not sure I would have had the band if I read this. Just want new people to know the needle doesn't go into the stomach. It goes into the skin and then the port....I fear needles as it is but I have never had a fill that I felt. Sure that wouldn't be the same if it went into the stomach...lol

Wheetsin. I too liked your post. It explains it with very little left to understand

ACCKK!!! :faint:

That's what I get for posting in a hurry! Sorry.

The band is placed around you, but typically does not restrict the opening much. In other words, it's usually about as big around as you are. Think when you put a watch on, and tighten it just enough that it doesn't move around a bunch. That's kind of like your band, only it's secured in place by some stitches. It's not really squeezing you, but there isn't a lot of extra room either.

The bands have "balloons" built on the inside. They are deflated originally, but fills "fill" the balloon with saline. As the balloon inflates, it makes the opening smaller and smaller.

10cm-vg-lapbands.jpg

"Fills" are what fill up the little balloon areas you see in the pictures above. Having those filled up is what causes restriction -- the passageway between esophagus and stomach is "restricted" by the pressure the balloon puts on your organ... so now take that watch, and make the band as tight as you can get it. Your hand will start to turn red because the flow of blood is restricted. Bands do the same thing, but with food.

Fills are done with a needle filled with saline. When your band is placed, they also place a port. Ports are self-closing, meaning they can be punctured, but will seal back up. The surgeon will insert the needle through your tissue into the fill and push saline into some tubing that eventually makes its way to the "balloon".

Fills are usually given on an as-needed basis, with the first one often being 6 - 8 weeks post-op. What you can eat, or more specifically how much of it, before no longer feeling hungry, frequency of eating, etc. are all things your surgeon will use to gauge whether or not you're ready for another fill (that's a great question to ask your surgeon when you have your consultation -- what does he let drive whether or not to fill, and how aggressive is he with fills). In a way you know if you need a fill or not because if you're past your post-op recovery phase, and still eating just like you did before surgery, you probably don't have enough restriction. If you can't keep liquids down, you have too much and will need an unfill, where the surgeon inserts the same needle but pulls out Fluid instead of putting more in.

Here is a visual I sent someone that I was trying to explain the band to:

Hope this helps!

Wheetsin- for any of us visual learners, that post was fantastic! :clap2: :clap2:

I'd like to recommend that this thread go into the FAQ section.

Thanks,

Jo Ann

I second that FAQ suggestion Jo Ann! I am going to use Wheetsin's so very helpful post to explain mine to my Mom....she has been very supportive, but I still don't think she "gets" it!!! I knew everything she posted...but it was so well organized, and supported with the visuals...it was perfect. Thank You Wheetsin for taking the time to answer so thoroughly, and giving all of us the ability to use your post!!!

Lisah -- your answer was something I would have posted!!! I get in a hurry wanting to help someone understand too!!

Kat