Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 Weeks Post-Op...tired!

I am 5 weeks put and dealing with the same. I find eating goes fine' date=' but I'm not getting in the fluids. I've tried adding other things to drink, but Crystal Light makes me sick and I don't tolerate sweet or chemicalish stuff well.[/quote']

I used to love to drink Water, but now I don't like it at all, so I add a little MIO to my Water and can drink it just fine. They have a lot of flavors.. You can make it strong or light. Try it!

I am an ER nurse and was sleeved on 9/17 so 3 weeks out. I have not returned to work and frankly I am scared to. No one at work knows that I had the surgery. I am still so weak and shaky and the thought of a 12 hour shift practically puts me into an anxiety attack. Luckily I am PRN but I think they are still wondering when the heck I am going to return. I just want to feel back to my normal' date=' happy self and it is not happening fast enough for ol' instant gratification me. Sigh.[/quote']

I am a L & D nurse and I see the doctor for the first time tomorrow. I will be four weeks out on Tuesday. I am going to ask her for an additional two weeks off. I am not back to my regular self either. Trying to just drink fluids on my shift is difficult. It sounds terrible, but sometimes in a 12 hr shift I don't go to the bathroom at all, until I go home and then realize it!! I am going to take care of myself when I return to work! Lets hope they let me have the additional time off.

My surgery was Sep. 7th. The tiredness hit me about week 2. You mentioned you were taking your Vitamins. I didn't see Iron listed. That may be part of it. Also the Water. One of the 1st signs of dehydration is tiredness. Maybe try to drink more water. That's been a challange for me. Good luck.

i am having my suregery nov. 7th . i was wondering if Water is difficult to drink after, becauase I see alot of posts about people who are dehydrated and it sounds like it is hard to drink alot at one time.....?

@aliasmith, it really depends on the individual. I had the same concern, reading probably similar posts, and I haven't had problems drinking anything at all. Actually surprised I can kinda gulp but only one gulp not chug.

Maybe because people are addressing concerns in this type of forum so it seems like its the norm but I get the feeling most people tolerate fluids ok.

Dehydration can happen quick after this surgery and easily too if we don't stay on top of it and really concentrate on making sure we get it all in. Even though I didn't have trouble it still was a chore in the beginning.

Best of luck to you! :)

i am having my suregery nov. 7th . i was wondering if Water is difficult to drink after, becauase I see alot of posts about people who are dehydrated and it sounds like it is hard to drink alot at one time.....?

I agree that it depends on the person. I personally have had an incredibly hard time getting my liquid in. I feel dehydrated and am shaky and I am in my 4th week post-op. Immediately post-op I could only take one swallow at a time or maybe two but they hurt and felt "stuck". During week 2 post-op that stuck feeling got better but still having trouble getting liquid in because I am always so full. Now during my week 3 the stuck feeling has returned a bit so back to taking smaller sips. I think everyone will give you a different answer. Good luck with your surgery! Keep us posted.

The past couple days my energy has started to pick back up. Sleeved on the 14th of September. I still can only eat about half of a 3oz can of tuna. I made the mistake of trying some fruit and it didn't stay down long at all.... I really have a hard time getting 64oz of Fluid in a day. I can normally get in about 34oz so I've got to somehow find a way to get in the other half. I'm glad I went back to work 1 week post op. Yes, I was exhausted and on my lunch break I would have to go to my car and recline the seat and set my alarm on my phone to wake me up haha --- BUT I got back into my old routine and now tomorrow I will be 4 weeks out and I am feeling alot better even from the post I made a few days ago. Maybe, the Iron helped :-) However, I've only lost 3lbs this week for some reason. It's kind of discouraging, especially when you aren't able to eat barely anything and you feel like you deserve to lose more weight.... I never knew how bad I was actually addicted to the habit of hand to mouth eating..... until I had this surgery. Now, I can't believe how much I use to eat.... It's really been an eye opening experience.