Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 Weeks Post Op And Gallstones Already!

It has been 6 weeks since my surgery. My main complaint is the constant belching. My surgeon says it is very common and stems from air we ingest when eating, sipping Water, or just breathing. Apparently, it takes awhile for the new smaller stomach to get used to this air, but I am told it goes away eventually and I CANNOT FREAKIN’ wait! As soon as I put anything in my mouth, the burping begins and the gurgling noises coming from my esophagus area are fantastic, let me tell you, especially while at work! I am eating verrry slow and chewing like crazy but I am going to try to focus on waiting a consistent amount of time between bites and taking smaller bites ... I also started having severe pain in my shoulder/neck a couple weeks ago. It would start in my chest, under the breast bone and feel almost like there was a pocket of air stuck in there – then it would move up into my left shoulder and neck. This got really bad for a few days and I called the nurse, who scheduled me an ultrasound. They ended up finding gallstones, which is crazy since there were none there 8 weeks ago @ my pre-op ultrasound. 30 lbs in 6 weeks will do it, I guess. Of course they want me to have it removed, but I just don’t know. Gallstones run in my family, and my fiancé and I are planning on having kids after my wedding and one year “waiting period” are up, so it is something I will have to consider carefully. I’m not sure if the chest/shoulder pain is from the gallstones, from too much pressure on my diaphram, or from the air/gas but it always happens at night. It is so crazy to see how your body reacts to this surgery! I am hoping for some relief soon. Any advice on these issues would be greatly appriciated.

Having had gallstones myself and suffering with them for years, I can tell you the pain will only get worse. The last attack I had I was curled up in a ball of abject misery on the bathroom floor for 2 hours waiting for it to pass. As soon as I could get up off the floor I called the surgeon I had seen 6 months prior when I was considering having the cholecystectomy. I went in the next day and we scheduled the surgery for 2 weeks later.

FYI - I haven't had my sleeve surgery yet, but can tell you that I did have the exact same pain symptoms you are describing when I had gallstone attacks.

I just had my gallbladder out one week ago.. Due to gallstones and very bad pain. Totally worth it to get it out (btw I am 5 months out). Never had a problem with gallstones pre surgery. The pain can become unbearable. Get it out now.

I had gallstones a couple of years ago and after I had 5 gallstones attacks in 2 months did I decide to see a surgeon , had an ultrasound on monday to confirm , results on thursday and surgery the day after , they were that bad , my advise is don't wait they only get worse ..... and the worst is getting gallstone attacks while being pregnant .... so take care of it now

I agree it's better to do it now than wait until it gets really painful. I suffered for years until one night I woke up crying couldn't hardly walk it was worse than having labor contraction's at least those come and go this was a non stop pain and I had 4 kids. I went in at about midnight and had surgery at 8 a.m. I had a big one and one stuck in the opening the Dr. said it looked really bad and it was so swollen and he said I should of had it removed along time ago and he said he was surprised I lasted this long. So don't wait until it gets to that point. Good luck