Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stupid Carb Question.

everyone is different. I never have counted mine. I do however eat Protein as the main part of my meal. I don't do sugar free for fat free anything either. I do the real deal including full fat cheese and 2% milk. It works for me.

How many calories do you eat? Have you looked?

I also don't do fat free and stuff, but my calories get high so quickly.

Yes, I do Net Carbs. Total Carbs - Fiber + sugar alcohols = total

I lost 40pounds in 3 months eating the Atkins way, and i don't eat red or processed meat. I really like eating this way bcs I don't eat fake or low fat either. It never agreed with me.

I am tracking my calories on MFP. I've managed to keep my calories between 600-800 post surgery. Pre-surgery I have no idea. Honestly, I'm not sure what is going to work for me long term, but I like cheese too much to give it up. :-) But, I think I need more carbs for my workouts. So.....I'm a work in progress.

I was tired from about week 5 to 8 post op. I played with the idea of upping my calories and carbs (600 cal/min 60 prot/under 40 carbs) but I didnt. I even went and had my lab work done but all my nuumbers were great. Turns out ... I was just tired...really tired. Now, I have much more energy. I stayed the course and it worked itself out. Im 5 months out and down 114 lbs. This is what worked for me but we are all different. Hope this helps!!

Whoa. That's a huge weight loss in 5 months! Congrats!!

everyone is different. I never have counted mine. I do however eat Protein as the main part of my meal. I don't do sugar free for fat free anything either. I do the real deal including full fat cheese and 2% milk. It works for me.

Glad to hear of someone that is going to lose the sf and ff foods as well. Right now I am only one week post op and very limited but when they turn me lose on real food I want it as close o unprocessed as possible.

Catracks- wow, that's crazy!! So.....how do you make sugar free cookles? I'm new to all this different way of cooking. Any guidance helps. I've been looking at eggfaces website but it can be a bit overwhelming. :-)

Thanks!

I use Torani syrups and Splenda. In one oatmeal raisin cookie I used vanilla Protein powder, Peanut Butter and a bit of vanilla Syrup along with the oats and raisins. In a lemon shortbread I use butter, multigrain flour, Splenda, lemon zest and lemon and vanilla syrup.

When you guys are staying under 40 grams of carbs a day are you staying under total carbs or Net carbs(total carbs - fiber) of 40 grams?

No, I do not subtract the Fiber. My carbs I get are from fruits, vegetable, traces in dairy and few crackers I eat every day and even those are high Protein, whole grain, seed things. I have plain white potato or quinoa once in a while and higher protein bread on hiking/kayaking days.

It's what works for me. I find I don't really miss Pasta or rice. I tried the Dreamfields last night and it was good, but I could only eat 1/4 cup. It's just too heavy. I might have it once in a great while.

From my NUT I should aim for the following after week 3 (weeks 3 and 4 are purees):

1000-1200 calories

20 grams fat

60-80 grams Protein

150-180 grams carbs

25 grams Fiber

25 grams or less sugar

From my NUT I should aim for the following after week 3 (weeks 3 and 4 are purees):

1000-1200 calories

20 grams fat

60-80 grams Protein

150-180 grams carbs

25 grams fiber

25 grams or less sugar

I suppose it depends on what your BMI is and what your calorie deficit should be. I take in 20 grams of fat on 750 calories. I am definitely not going low fat. Butter and coconut oil are my friends! My Protein is set at between 70-90. Now I do see that I have my carbs set at 47 gross a day. I'm usually a few grams over in fat each day, but not over on carbs. Over 50 grams would cause me to stall or actually gain even with the calorie deficit.

Savarra-

What's your BMI?

Thanks!

My BMI is currently 39. The NUT goals are the general guidelines distributed from the UCSD bariatrics program. I don't have trouble at all staying within the fat guidelines, but I've busted the sugar every single day and I'm only getting 500 calories a day at the moment. As I said, it's a goal to work toward, and to each his own. Just thought I'd share for comparison purposes.

Catracks-

I just can't get into coconut oil. Maybe i'm not using it correctly! Anyway, my NUT keeps telling me that fat is my friend. I've embraced that and i eat SO much healthier now. Silly low fat craze. That added more poundage to my body than anything else.

Catracks-

I just can't get into coconut oil. Maybe i'm not using it correctly! Anyway, my NUT keeps telling me that fat is my friend. I've embraced that and i eat SO much healthier now. Silly low fat craze. That added more poundage to my body than anything else.

Yes, when they take the fat out of foods they usually add sugar and simple carbohydrates.

I use extra virgin olive oil for most of my sauteing. I also put it on meat and fish as a part of a marinade before barbequing. Yes, I know they say the smoke point is too low, but I just love eggs fried or scrambled in olive oil. I even pop corn in it and it tastes good!

I use the coconut oil to saute beef, pork and seafood - depends on the recipe. I also use it for making nut butters. It has a slightly sweet taste to it. I think loving coconut helps. A lot of people do not.

Butter. I love butter too. My SF Cookies are made with it. It's liberating not being freaked out by fats.

1000-1200 calories

20 grams fat

60-80 grams Protein

150-180 grams carbs

25 grams Fiber

25 grams or less sugar

That's a lot of carbs. How many of those carbs are fruits and veggies, and how many are starches? I only ask because that would be a huge volume of fruits and veggies to eat after having VSG.