Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Doc Said...Durrr

My Doc said I dont know what being full feels like LOL. I have been keeping my portions pretty small so maybe I havent had to tell yet but he says I have good restriction because I cant even drink without having to burp so he must right? But when I eat stuff I dont recognize full. Humm. The only two times I have felt uncomfortable after eating I felt like my throat was swelling off and I assumed I was having a panic attack because I have those anyway (but none in the last year until recently) and they lasted a long time. I wonder if I am eating too much on those few occassions getting some throat annoyance then giving myself a panic attack anyway? or is that too far fetched lol. I have been to the docs for this they just gave me panic attack meds which havent worked all the way yet maybe they take a bit to kick in I dunno.

Hi Gummiebear,

I don't know what to say about the panic attacks (except that I hope your meds work!), but it's true that some of us have a hard time recognizing the new "full" sensation the band gives us. I know for me it took some serious work to accept that when the band says I'm done, and I know that one more bite will be too much, THIS feeling is what "full" now feels like. It's different, indeed, than the old full-belly satisfaction of old times, but it's no less real for that. It means I'm no longer hungry.

Next time you're done with a meal of reasonable bandster proportions, push away from the table and close your eyes. Really try to feel what's going on in your stomach. If you still think you're hungry, give it ten minutes and try again. If you've had enough to eat there should be no sensations of "hunger" emanating from your stomach. Sure, you may WANT to eat more, but that's the head hunger we all have to deal with. The band helps with PHYSICAL hunger, but we have to let it work and recognize what it's telling us.

We really only need a small amount of food to satisfy our bodies' needs. That's what full feels like now.

Well so far the panic attack meds are working or maybe I just haven't had anymore panic attacks LOLOL....I think the panic attacks are due to some personal issues involving me going back to school and some other stuff so I am stressing over it all. ***I R a STRESSOR***

Aside from that I am NOT finishing everything I dish out for myself I am eating what I think looks like a good amount then leaving the rest and not trying to listen to that tongue of mine so much. This is much easier to do when u r eating bland foods.

Anyhoo thx for ur replies.

Later

-Gummie

Hi Gummiebear,

feeling is what "full" now feels like. It's different, indeed, than the old full-belly satisfaction of old times, but it's no less real for that. It means I'm no longer hungry.

Great post. Absolutely true for me also. Don't look for feelings of fullness. Look for the absence of hunger.