Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

getting surgery, I hope!

I am 45 yrs. old woman, five foot four and weigh about 225. I am having an inititial consultation with a surgeon in Georgia who is doing a low BMI study with Lap-banding. My BMI is about 36 or so. I am pretty sure I will meet all of the criteria for the study, and hope to start my pre-op testing soon. I am so nervously excited about the whole darn thing that I can't think of anything else! Since I am a "self pay" patient, I hope everything goes well, and anticipate that it will. My friend is going down with me, and she hopes to be in the study as well. I can't wait to shed the outer layer of blub that has consumed me for the past several years. I am dying to escape this dreadful fat life and start living the life I had loved for so many years. My husband is so wonderful (he is from the tall, skinny tribe) and we used to have so much fun together before I became cursed with the blub. Sometimes, when walking by a mirror or storefront window, I catch a glimpse of something grotesquely proportioned and then realise it is me. I don't feel anything on the inside, like I look on the outside. Sometimes, I forget what people are actually seeing, and I feel like they can see the inside me....but they can't :think I am so looking forward to dancing the night away, passionate love-making, fashion that doesn't contain anything stretchy, and being able to run.)

I have heard differnt notions of what diet after surgery is like. ANy feedback on that would be appreciated.

Andrea

Welcome to the forum.

But to be frank, it's kind of hard to really go through your post and find an actual question to respond to or answer.

As for "diet after surgery" that could be mean as a brand new post-operative patient, as a one month out patient, after a fill or adjustment or years after surgery - I don't quite know what you mean about that.

But kudos to you for attempting to battle obesity at this stage. I sometimes wonder if Weight loss surgery is one of the only areas where we reward people for waiting until (or being forced to wait) until they are even more significantly obese to get surgical help. I'm very supportive of those who have a lot more weight to lose (far more understanding than I think some heavierweight patients are, to the challenges that so-called lighterweight patients sometimes face). But there used to be a woman in my support group who would often interrupt the comments of another very active member who was a 'lighterweight' Bandster. This know-it-all used to say things to the lighter member like "Well, Jane Doe, remember you've only lost 50 pounds - I've lost almost three times that amount, and I think..." :) And she would go on and on.

Finally one day after she belitted this member for the zillionth time, I snapped back to her: "All that means is that you were almost three times as obese when you got banded. Is that really something to brag about ??? ":phanvan

That shut her right up, and she actually stopped to think about it. Rarely had trouble from her since.

Anyway, good luck on your banding - remember it's not a surgery, but the start of a journey.

Congratulations on your decision and being accepted into the study. That is wonderful news.

As far as the diet after banding, once I got past the required liquid and mushy stages, I can honestly say I don't diet. I do not count calories, carbs., points or anything else. I don't want to be on a diet for the rest of my life. I just want to be a normal person who eats a reasonable amount of food. My band does a very good job of controlling my portion sizes. With all that said, the only real change I have made is to cut out the majority of the junk food and am making healthier choices. In order for me to succeed with my band, it has to be something I can do and live with for the rest of my life, and this is. I am not losing as fast as many on this board do, but I am ok with that because I am happy and able to live with my new lifestyle.

Let us know how everything goes for you and don't be afraid to ask questions, we love to help. I think it will be great if your friend gets accepted too, that would be great for both of you and you would be able to support each other through this wonderful journey.