Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Celiac's Out There That Have Had The Sleeve ?

I was diagnosed with Celiac's Disease in 2002. (Allergy to Wheat and the Gluten in Wheat, Oats, Barley, and Rye). I am wondering if anyone else is a Celiac that has had the Sleeve ?? Anything to watch out for? My sleeve operation is scheduled for Oct 9, 2012. Would appreciate any info in advance.

You should talk with your doctor...but since gluten is in most carbs...and they want you to use whole wheat products, you should be doing excellent on this plan

I am not celiac but am quite familiar with the restrictions as I cook for someone who is. Before surgery it was hard to find meals to eat in common - now it is no problem! Many sleevers pretty much give up carbs particularly in the losing stage, and since surgery in May I haven't had any wheat, oats, barley or rye. It just isn't part of the plan anymore! Should be a similar transition for you as someone without dietary restrictions I would think.

Hi Directec, yes I have Coeliac Disease diagnosed when I was 13, 37 years ago. I was sleeved on 14 August in Brisbane, Australia. I have been consulting a dietician beforehand and since. Once you are back on solid food after 4-6 weeks, it is important that you have at least a certain amount of each food group and grainy carbs are some of the most important, especially to ward off Constipation.

Luckily in Australia we can buy grainy (GF) fresh bread from supermarkets. I also eat brown rice, brown rice porridge, GF Pasta, corn and rice cakes crackers, Beans and legumes.

I have to eat each day:

Min 1 Protein

Min 3 grainy carbs

Min 3 light vege

Min. 2 dairy

Min. 1 fats (nuts, avocado, olive oil)

Min. 3 fruit

Min 1 starchy vege like potato (optional)

To eat all of this, i need to spread it over 6 small meals a day of approx 1/2 - 3/4 cup each

With the sleeve you and still eat any healthy good quality food, but in smaller portions. Coeliac should not be an issue if you plan ahead. Good luck

You should talk with your doctor...but since gluten is in most carbs...and they want you to use whole wheat products, you should be doing excellent on this plan

I cannot have wheat either. Oh well. I had my sleeve Oct 9th. Lots of pain from one of the incisions, the other 5 are really good. Hope it goes away soon. Thanks for the info.

You can still follow your restrictions and you will probably do well since you are use to eatting high Protein. I think you will do very well.

Congrats on your surgery!!

I just love the website

Yourlighterside.com

:)