Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Does Nausea Manifest Itself After Vsg?

My surgery date is scheduled for October 11th, so what happened to me today is not a result of already being sleeved - but today I was sitting at my desk at work, and all of a sudden, I was extremely dizzy, nauseated and began sweating. I had just eaten some ice cream, and I thought maybe it was food poisoning or onset of a stomach virus.

I had to leave work because I just didn't feel right but before I left, I checked my blood pressure and it was "off" - I was recently diagnosed with HBP and take medicine every day for it. Before starting the meds, my BP was about 145 over 97. After adjusting my meds my doc got it down to 120 over 80. But today it was 148 over 77. I don't know if my nausea / dizziness/ sweating was because of HBP or if my weird BP was a result of the episode. I went home from work, laid down, fell asleep and woke up feeling okay.

I started wondering if this is how the nausea feels after VSG - do you eat something and then suddenly get nauseous? Are you ever dizzy and sweating too? Is the nausea triggered by smells of certain foods? How long does it last? Any idea of the percentage of time that you get nauseous and then throw up vs. get nauseated and it just goes away? I want to know if I am going to be ill enough to miss work (I certainly don't want to - I will have used up my paid time off after my surgery).

Just trying to prepare myself for what's to come......Thanx!!!

Had basically had zero nausea post op. I Definately was turned off my certain foods for a few months but that's it.

In my case, I had nausea and was given IV drugs for it and prescription pills for home. I still have them though and I'm 10 weeks out. The nausea was short-lived (and in my case, I think it was due to the anesthesia). Now, occasionally, I'll get the sour mouth queasiness after eating but that's only happened three times since surgery.

My surgery date is scheduled for October 11th' date=' so what happened to me today is not a result of already being sleeved - but today I was sitting at my desk at work, and all of a sudden, I was extremely dizzy, nauseated and began sweating. I had just eaten some ice cream, and I thought maybe it was food poisoning or onset of a stomach virus.

I had to leave work because I just didn't feel right but before I left, I checked my blood pressure and it was "off" - I was recently diagnosed with HBP and take medicine every day for it. Before starting the meds, my BP was about 145 over 97. After adjusting my meds my doc got it down to 120 over 80. But today it was 148 over 77. I don't know if my nausea / dizziness/ sweating was because of HBP or if my weird BP was a result of the episode. I went home from work, laid down, fell asleep and woke up feeling okay.

I started wondering if this is how the nausea feels after VSG - do you eat something and then suddenly get nauseous? Are you ever dizzy and sweating too? Is the nausea triggered by smells of certain foods? How long does it last? Any idea of the percentage of time that you get nauseous and then throw up vs. get nauseated and it just goes away? I want to know if I am going to be ill enough to miss work (I certainly don't want to - I will have used up my paid time off after my surgery).

Just trying to prepare myself for what's to come......Thanx!!![/quote']

Sounds to me like you had an anxiety/panic attack. I know this from experience!

For the most part though, there could be some nausea right after surgery, but not for long. If you eat something and it doesn't work, it will come up, but you're not sick for a long time before or after. You just have to adjust to eating slower, chewing well, and going through the post op diet slowly. Don't try to rush eating solids.

For me the nausea & vomiting came quickly & left quickly. Mine was from eating too fast after surgery. I was fine after I vomited. I hv always been a fast eater so tht ws something hard for me to get used too.

Everyone experiences things diff after surgery.

Im not a doctor but it does sound like it ws your blood pressure.