Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Omgoodness...old Timers..i Need Some Advice.

Ok.here is my problem. I started the ease into 5k app yesterday and today I am so sore in my hips and inner thighs it isn't funny at this point. I did walk today and perhaps that was a no no. Any tips to help with soreness? Or just advice? I plan on doing a yoga tape here in a minute to see if I can loosen up some. Thanks for your help!

lol. a hot bath usually helps me!

How much exercise have you been doing up to this point?

How far and on what kind of terrain did you walk?

Do you stretch before/after and have proper walking shoes?

Chances are you are just experiencing what everyone feels when muscles are not practiced with exercise and strain. It should get better with more time and more activity. It is very important to have proper shoes to support your feet. It's amazing how much what happens at foot level can affect knees, hips and other joints.

I highly advise basic stretching and perhaps foam rolling (Google for videos, it's amazing stuff and I swear by it).

You may want to try adding magnesium to your diet with supplements. I use a brand called Calm, it's a powder you mix with warm Water and drink. Magnesium is wonderful for sore muscles (i.e. soaking in Epsom Salt bath), anxiety, energy, and heart health. Added benefits are better sleep and help with Constipation, if you have that. You can also buy it with added Calcium, since the two work well together to be absorbed by cells.

Hello, I'm doing the couch to 5k app too!

Everyone gets sore muscles after the work out. Make sure you warm up before you go and cool down when your done. And don't forget to stretch.

How much exercise have you been doing up to this point?

How far and on what kind of terrain did you walk?

Do you stretch before/after and have proper walking shoes?

Chances are you are just experiencing what everyone feels when muscles are not practiced with exercise and strain. It should get better with more time and more activity. It is very important to have proper shoes to support your feet. It's amazing how much what happens at foot level can affect knees' date=' hips and other joints.

I highly advise basic stretching and perhaps foam rolling (Google for videos, it's amazing stuff and I swear by it).

You may want to try adding magnesium to your diet with supplements. I use a brand called Calm, it's a powder you mix with warm Water and drink. Magnesium is wonderful for sore muscles (i.e. soaking in Epsom Salt bath), anxiety, energy, and heart health. Added benefits are better sleep and help with Constipation, if you have that. You can also buy it with added Calcium, since the two work well together to be absorbed by cells.

So far walking and yoga.. I never ran before..even when I was on the elliptical machine, I didn't hurt that bad..I moved things that I think haven't been moved before. I did about 1.5 miles..with interval walking and running. I did stretch and warmup with a warm down. I have Saucony running shoes..love them. I have seen the foam roll, and am seriously think of purchasing one. I just did Rodney Yee's AM yoga twists and feel much better. I am still sore, but not near as intense. I will certainly look into the calm product as well..Thanks for the advice.

lol. a hot bath usually helps me!

A spa sounds even better!

Hello' date=' I'm doing the couch to 5k app too!

Everyone gets sore muscles after the work out. Make sure you warm up before you go and cool down when your done. And don't forget to stretch.[/quote']

Yes..I did all of the above mentioned. I have had soreness, and thus was more intense...so once I did yoga, it seemed to relax those hamstrings up.

LOL....I'm sorry to laugh, but when I started C25K I was so sore after that first day I didn't run again for 2 weeks. Besides training your muscles to handle this kind of work, and having good shoes, having good form is very important. I was taught to concentrate on leading with the hips and keep your shoulders down. Start off with a very short stride. It will build gradually as you get in better shape.

I'm still a novice myself. I just finished week 4, but I've been doing it for about 6 weeks (plus the 2 weeks I took off after that first horrible night). But already there is a huge difference in how well I run from when I started. Don't quit. Until the soreness goes away keep walking and go easy on the stretching.

Butta,

No your not...lol...you remember how you felt and know exactly where I am coming from friend! It's ok, you can laugh at me, I've got pretty thick skin..you had to in my family...I was the smart fat one ..pretty only in the face...in a world of beauty queens...literally. Anyway..fear not, I won't give up because my coworkers and I are in training for our town's Tea Pot 5k Trot. Can't disappoint my peeps!

Suggestions from when I did this last year. 1. Do not try to do c25k every day. It should be at least every other day. 2. Stretch before and after you work out. 3. butta is right start slow. Keep your arms as relaxed as possible and you strides short and flat. Be careful not to run on your toes. (I always had problems with this). 4. It's always good tvstretch on in between days as well but don't try to over do it with tons more exercising. 5. And remember if you get to a week that you struggle with just repeat it until you are ready to advance. 6. Finally try breathing through your nose. I hels control the breathing. Take nice long deep breaths. Hope his helps!