Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering the Lapband

I have been doing alot of research and have read alot of the comments on this forum, which has help alot. I have selected Dr. B at the Richardson surgery center if I do decide to do this. My question is, is there anyone that has had to lose between 40 - 50 pounds that can share their experiences with me? Most posts that I have seen, the weight loss goals have been greater than that. Any info would be appreciated.

Welcome Awsheba, I'm glad you found us. Check the threads and do a search on low BMI. That may help you with your questions.

All the best and keep us posted.

I did a search and did not find anything on low BMI. I check some of the threads and didn't find anything. Does anyone know if they have seen this topic before and where??

Has an American doctor agreed to operate on you with so little weight to lose? What is your BMI? In the U.S., the band is not indicated for use in people with a BMI under 35, and I'd be surprised if a doctor would agree to do it unless you had really significant co-morbidities.

Dr Veninga in the Dallas area did my banding, and he won't do them for anyone who needs to lose less than 100 pounds. Remember, this is surgery and not something to be taken lightly. If it were a haircut, it would be one thing, but getting cut open and having your stomach banded is not a fix-it for people who are not considered morbidly obese. I am sorry if this is discouraging to you, but I would have my doubts about any doctor that would be willing to band for a 40-50 pound weight loss, unless, of course, you are 4 feet tall.

WLS is a very serious decision. You are not a candidate for WLS at 40-50 lbs. overweight and if a doctor is willing to perform this surgery on you, you need to run the other way. You need to do research on WLS. This is not something that anyone should take lightly. I would have done anything not to have had this surgery but, I had no choice. I have struggled with my weight for 15 years and I started having health related problems due to my weight issues. I am confident that this was the right choice for me. But in the back of my mind, I worry everyday that one day I may have complications and have to get it removed.

I am not minimizing the amount of weight you need to lose. However, it's not enough to consider WLS. I truly wish you the best of luck whatever you choose to do.

Regards,

I only have about 60 pounds to lose but my BMI is 34 and I have high blood pressure and other medical problems run in my family so what ever it takes I,m getting the lap band.

I know it's certainly not to be taken lightly but things have changed in the world of LapBanding.

The LapBand is routinely performed on lighter weight patients in places other than the US, where they (rightfully) focus on preventing obesity, rather than just trying to cure it retroactively.

Now, in the US there are more and more Lap-Band surgeons who will perform the LapBand on patients with a minimum of 40-50# to lose or a lower BMI (these are almost all self-pay needless to say) ... This is especially true when the patients have other co-morbidities and a long history of diet attempts. My own surgeon does not prefer to do lighter weight patients (they have to make a superhuman effort to convince him that need surgery but that's just how he is) - but meanwhile many other surgeons will take patients with lower BMI, nationwide.

In fact one high-volume LapBand surgeon now advertises "Are you more than 40# overweight with a long diet history? Call us now! " (In an online article by this surgeon who is discussed quite a bit on this website he touts the 40# minimum and discusses the fact that he does surgery on those with a BMI of 30 or more. If anyone is interested, I can find the article somewhere and post the link. I'm not affiliated with the office in any way so I don't have his details right on hand. :phanvan )

So, no matter how people feel about it, the lower weight LapBand patient (with a long history of obesity) now has this option in many geographical areas.

And also remember, if the FDA does approve the LapBand as a treatment for acid reflux and G.E.R.D. - then we will see more and more lighterweight LapBand patients.

Yes, there is a doctor where I live (Texas) that advertises, if you are at least 30 pounds overweight you can have the surgery. Which is why I contacted him. I have been strugaling with my weigh since I was a young child. You name the diet program and I have been on it. It is just as hard for someone that is 40+ pounds overweight to lose weight. So I am glad that the doctors are realizing this. I do realize that this is a BIG decision, which is why I am trying to get all the info that I can. So thats why I was hoping to hear from someone that is in this same situation.

I can remember reading somewhere that the band was really effective for low BMI patients, but I can't seem to find it again. My friend Jane who came to Mexico and got banded with me was like you, low BMI, tried everything. I have never seen anyone work so hard at losing weight. She's doing really well. She's losing at a different rate than I am, but of course it shows a lot more on her. She's very happy and says she feels 10 years younger.

So if you have a doctor who is willing to take you on and you trust him, then I say go for it and all the best on your journey.

Hi everyone. I am new here and have not been banded yet, however I am researching it. I am at about 35.2 BMI. I have been overweight all my life except when phen-fen was legal....I did lose very easily on that. Over the years it has crept back up on me and now I am near 50 years old. I know I have to do something before I get too old. Is there an age limit where they will not except people to do the surgery on? I would like to lose about 60 pounds.

Thanks to everyone for their replies!!

The primary thing that scares me the most is not the surgery itself (all though that is pretty scary) is that I will do this and still not be able to lose weight, just like all the other diets I have been on!!