Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gossip at Work: Vent

One of my co-workers called to see how I'm doing and she told me that more people at work know about my surgery than I told. So someone has been talking.

Ok, I can deal with that. But then she said that one of these people is actually angry that I didn't tell them myself, angry that they heard about it from someone else.

I wish I could just hear that and let it go in one ear and out the other. Instead I am sitting here at home and it's eating at me (interesting choice of words?).

I am going to think of this as a loud car driving by, one that needs a muffler, and it's awful to hear but then it's gone and it's quiet again.

I just hate office gossip. Vent over. Thanks for listening.

I'm sorry to hear that some of your work colleagues have betrayed your confidence in spreading around the fact that you had this surgery. As for the person who is angry that they didn't hear it from you, ask yourself just what right they have to be angry? If you didn't want to tell them, that's your business, and yours alone. Office gossip can be really petty. Either you ignore it, or you face it (which may be a waste of your energy) by going to see the angered person and telling them that you didn't want everyone knowing your private business. Anyway, try not to dwell on it because it's really not worth it. I hope they all get over it and that things settle down for you at work. I have not told a soul at work, but since I eat lunch with colleagues everyday, there are many times that giving an explanation has crossed my mind. I'm too afraid of their judgement.

Hugs to you,

Deana.

I know it is easy to say, hard to do, but

...let 'em talk....

I think the jealousy comment is most likely true, if I weren't banded, I'd be jealous too.

hugs and congratulations...

Congrats on your banding!

Too bad these people have nothing other to do than gossip. Pathetic.

As for the person who is mad, I would bring it up and tell them your medical issues are your personal business. Simply none of their business!

Is the person that is angry obese? If so, maybe they are jealous or embarassed by the fact that you have faced the fact that you have a weight issue and are doing something about it. As far as approaching that person about why you didn't tell them and their anger, I would just let it be. You don't owe them an explanation about anything.

I would be quick to remind everyone though, that if you don't want everyone in your office to know you have the band, then don't tell anyone. Especially if you work in office with primarily woman. People can't resist gossiping at work.

I wouldn't address this issue until (or unless) she confronts you with it. Simply tell her that you know that she is sensitive enough to respect your choice to keep your personal information private.......end of issue!

Carol

Woodys put it absolutely best.

Saying it that way, it makes it clear that you are not defensive or angry but are simply expecting (righfully) that the other person keep your confidence.

Well said, Woodys!

She was gossiping TO you about gossip ABOUT you, gee, that's helpful.

Try your best to put it out of your mind. You aren't Miss Cleo and can't know what's going on in other people's heads. If someone has a problem with it, they need to talk directly to you about it or else suck it up and deal. Even if the gossip is true, the fact that someone else has a problem with a decision you've made about your own personal life, it's still THEIR problem. Not yours.