Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I Swallow And Not Sip?

If I take small swallows is that ok? Why do we suppose to sip? It hurts the exact same either way I do it I was sleeved on the 19th but swallowing is much easier to me but I don't want to do anything wrong. Thanks Lloyd

I think it really only depends on how much you are "swallowing", if you are swallowing an entire mouthful at once you are putting a lot of pressure on your new tummy. I personally could not swallow as the pressure in my chest hurt too much. I also found I was more likely to get in my required 65oz if I sipped consistently instead of swallowing. If it isn't hurting you, and you are getting in your Water than I say do what feels best, but make sure to listen to your body!

Well it hurts the same either way. I was able to finish 20oz in about 5 hrs which is about what my goal is at this point. I do feel full now but not in pain.

It's really hard for me to swallow as well. Glad to hear you have to same experiences. Kinda hurts my belly and also really feel the pressure in my chest. So I'm just trying to sip as little as I can. But that makes drinking something small take a long time.

Hi there, I am also able to swallow Water from the liquid caps we are given, and my surgery was on 9/19 as well. I am more cautious sipping the diluted juices and broth. I hope your recovery goes smoothly. I was discharged from the hospital today and have no nausea and little gas pains and I was walking fairly soon after recovery - which might be the reason the gas pains are minor. Good luck!

So this is a little scary to me. I was sleeved on 9/12 and I can swallow. It doesn't hurt or feel uncomfortable to me in any way! Not sure if this is a good or bad thing?

Rather than making a joke out of this subject, I will just state that I swallow liquids following the first 3 week. Now I ccannot down gallons like I used to, but I can usually consume 4-6 oz of liquids before having to wait 20 seconds and repeating. Otherwise, you will feel the consequences of having too much liquid in your stomach at once.

Rather than making a joke out of this subject, I will just state that I swallow liquids following the first 3 week. Now I ccannot down gallons like I used to, but I can usually consume 4-6 oz of liquids before having to wait 20 seconds and repeating. Otherwise, you will feel the consequences of having too much liquid in your stomach at once.

It is amazing the variance we see with our sleeves!! I am a year out and I still could not do 4-6oz of liquid at a time. I can do 2, maybe 3 if it is a warm liquid!