Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gallbladder??

I have had a pretty severe pain in my left side for a few days now that seems to get worse after I eat. We were at the mall yesterday and I thought I was going to die it hurt so bad! It hurt about 5 minutes after I was done eating for about an hour then the pain changed to a dull ache. When it is at it's worst it feels like a hot poker being stuck into my side. Could this be my gallbladder?? Anyone felt like this before??

Thanks in advance for your input!

I guess it could be thats an unusual location. I have had a couple of attacks and they have been higher, to the right and between my shoulder blades in the back. If it continues call your surgeon. Id call anyway since its monday it gives you all week to take care of.

I had issues with my gallbaldder for Years and finally had it out when properly diagnosed in 2000. From what you describe i think thats where my pain was. I'd get it checked!

I was a mylanta-junkie to get rid of the paid or take what I would refer to as a "Sonia Soup" bath - where you put the Water so hot that you fall asleep in the tub and wake up cold when the pains over.

i have a pain similar to what you describe when i get a fill. it occurs after eating...not an overfilled sort of restriction pain, but more like a severe gas pain that stays in one specific place and intensifies so much that i am certain it is not gas. i tend to get these pains for about two weeks after a fill, then they stop, and i usually feel the need to have a fill within a couple of days.

WHen you say you side, whereabouts exactly? Ribs, waist, lower? Gall bladder attacks are usually right between the shoulder blades. I know b/c I thought I was having gall bladder issues but my doctor said it was muscle strain from pulling weeds every day -- but that it WAS in the same place one would feel the gall bladder. Anyway, I felt like an idiot.

Does it seem to change if you have eaten? Is it near your port?

It is on the left side right about my waist line. I was just guessing when I thought it might be my gallbladder. It was so bad my hubby called my mom to see what side my appendix was on. LOL!

Ok, here is some stuff I just found on gall bladder attacks:

1. Sporadic pains in the middle of the upper abdomen, or just below the ribs on the right side.
  2. The pain may spread to the right shoulder or between the shoulder blades.
  3. The pain can be accompanied by nausea and vomiting and sometimes excessive wind.
  4. The attack can last from a few minutes to two to three hours before getting better.
  5. The frequency and severity of attacks is very variable.
  6. Attacks can be triggered by eating fatty foods such as chocolate, cheese or pastry.
  7. It can be difficult to distinguish the pain from other diseases, such as: gastric ulcer, back problems, heart pains, pneumonia and kidney stones.

Also this from the mayo Clinic:

Sudden, steady and moderate to intense pain in your upper middle or upper right abdomen. This may signal a gallbladder attack. The pain may occur one to two hours after eating but may also occur at other times — even at night. It can last from 15 to 30 minutes to several hours. Gallbladder pain starts in your upper middle or upper right abdomen and, on occasion, may shift to your back or right shoulder blade. After the pain subsides, you might have a mild aching or soreness in your upper abdomen that can last for up to a day or so. Gallbladder attacks tend to occur infrequently — weeks, months or even years apart

HEY DREWSLOU...

that really sounds like the pain i have, right side waist line...hmmm...hope it gets better! mystery pains are the worst!!