Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Portions

I have notice that even after 4 months I continue to dole out big portions on my plate. I know your suppose to use small plates and serve small portions, but it just hasnt gelled with me. I continue to serve large portions, eat 1/4-1/2 of my plate, and end up throwing out the rest. What is everyone else doing. Just wondering??

Hi Cloe, I'm doing the tiny plate, tiny fork thing. I only put approx. half a cup of food on the plate. I know I can eat more but my fill is a couple weeks away and I want to exercise a modicum of self discipline. I even put wine in a liqueur glass.

I bought the plate that has the 3 dividers (kids size) vegetables biggest part ,meat second and potatoes smallest.Sometimes i can eat it all ,sometimes i leave it. If i am still hungry i will have a frozen yogurt bar or a fruit 1 hr after .That works for me .

I use the small plate, salad size, with small silverware. So far so good.

I am eating Soup out of a mug and am now buying those tiny cans of fancy flavoured flaked tuna. I eat those right out of the can. I know that I am kinda cheating since I am not supposed to graduate to mushies until this Thursday but I am being very careful with the chew, chew, chewing. Other than that I am eating (mostly) those small portions of yogurt right out of the little cups they come in. I haven't used a plate since pre-op. lol My washing up consists of loads of tiny forks and spoons and masses of cups and glasses. Okay by me. Our dishwasher died. Now I'm it.:heh:

Hey green, glad you can eat tuna, but be careful. My first golfball and PB was with tuna, man, what a horrible memory!! Take Care, thats all!!:confused:

I'm going to have to get myself a kids plate, I don't know why I never started to do that?

Thanx for the warning, Cloe. I had been feeling no sense of restriction until I went out with a girlfriend on Saturday. I ordered a plate of braised tofu in Chinatown - it's as liquid as yogurt - and had a few bites of rice. After I left the restaurant I felt a bit weird for a few minutes. I found myself explaining to my girlfriend about productive burps. She looked scared. LOL Actually I was a little freaked out myself. I've got a phobia about anything coming up the same way it went down.

Hey Green: it twas likely the rice that did ya in. I've heard many bad things about rice and I s'ppose that is the reason I haven't tried it yet since being banded. But I'm not missing it.

Cloe: I used the kids plate/fork at the beginning but now I'm pretty much using the regular size plate but not putting a whole lot on it. I figure I can go back for more should I want it (actually, that hasn't happened yet!). Sometimes I use a side plate if what we're having doesn't require a lot of "room". I too am also trying to put smaller portions on my plate....I think I have a handle on it; though sometimes I still leave stuff on my plate.

I know, I know...it is tough though, ain't it? I mean, it is a HUGE mind set change. Though I think I'm doing well "eating slowly"....it still feels weird when I am still sitting at the table trying to get through my meal; it brings back too many vibrant memories of when I was a kid at the supper table and either didn't like something or just plain didn't want to eat anymore and yet my parents would force me to sit there and keep eating. *sigh*. How little they knew back then! So, I guess the inner child in me feels like she is in trouble when I'm still sitting there chewing away.

Weird.

I did the same thing as you Yoda, started out with the smaller plate, then went back to the regular plate, just put smaller portions on it.

Because i gained some weight last week maybe i should switch back to the smaller plate.:hungry:

Maria:)

I'm all over the place... big plates and small plates. I can never eat all of what's on my plate (any size) anymore... even if I have a small plate, I'll still dish myself out more than I can eat.

small small small plate or the kids divided into three sections plate works for me - i can't use a big plate cuz i will fill it up - no way can i judge a small portion on my own - i think i am permanently mixed up in that regards!

I bought a set of corel dishes about 6 months ago. The square kind, I like the look of them but if you ever saw them the plates are humungous, they don't even fit in the dishwasher. I have been eating on a side plate ever since I bought them, the side plates are a little smaller than a regular plate. The difference is that I don't go for seconds anymore.

I used a side plate last night, I was surprised how little I ate, I couldnt finish what was on it and I know it wasn't too much because of the size of the plate. I really have to make this a habit!!

Yeah Cloe...AND bonus...less dish surface to wash!

That's true Yoda, we have to look on the bright side of things. You know like is your plate half empty or half full?