Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One Day Post Op And Doing Great!

Hi everyone! I had gastric bypass yesterday and although i know this is support for sleeve (which I originally thought was going to happen), recovery is similar. In the pre surgery room, the nurse put a nausea patch on behind my ear. He said it would be good for three days. It must be working. No nausea, no gas pains, they took me off the IV and the morphine drip. I am taking liquid pain relief. The pain is mostly soreness inside but I really feel almost normal except when i get out of bed to walk in the hallway or to use the restroom. Everyone (staff, my surgeon and nurses) all have told me i am doing great and look great too. (Could be the make-up I put on this morning....LOL!). They helped give me a sponge bath and brush my teeth and use deodorant. I will be discharged sometime tomorrow. I am allowed to drink four oz cups of hot tea or diluted juice or broth. The ice chips have been heavenly. I had sent a flower basket yesterday on my surgery date to my surgeons team because they are so wonderful so they have stopped by or called to say thank you. I got one of the little carnation puppy dog design with Fall flowers and leaves. I was told the doctor's office loves it. I know everyone's bodies are different but I truly hope for a smooth surgery and recovery for you. Thanks!

Thank Jesus you posted this! I had the IVC filter placed yesterday. Coming out of anesthesia freaked me a little, but lying on my back for four straight hours with awful lower back pain was the worst. I also couldn't take my protonix so my acid reflux made me congested and feel like breathing was difficult. I needed to hear while tomorrow (my sleeve day) may be rough, it would be more bearable than yesterday. Please tell me that at least sit you up and you can move. There is nothing worse than laying through pain. I'm asking for the nausea patch as well :-) Hoping your recovery continues smoothly!

Hi Lisa! I will be thinking of you. I have a compressed fracture in my L3 from a not so smooth landing skydiving in 2003. So i was concerned about lying on my back. I usually sleep on my side at home. It might be the morphine which helped me sleep here on my back, but i did ask the nurses if i could lie on my side. They said they want us moving as to much as we can. So I used the bed rails to help support and it did take considerable effort. The band /girdle they put on afterwards from surgery helps too. I started changing sleep positions and your insides are sore but I could tell the progress once I was able to move, such as using the restroom. I really had to go and that motivated me to move fairly early following surgery. I honestly do not feel pain now except if i get out of bed. I will be keeping you in my thoughts!!

You rock! The support from folks here has been great. Surgery is at 7:30am tomorrow. First thing in the morning. Hoping I will feel like updating by Saturday. Keep me posted on your progress. It's good to know we aren't alone in this...

Hi everyone! I had gastric bypass yesterday and although i know this is support for sleeve (which I originally thought was going to happen)' date=' recovery is similar.![/quote']

May I ask? Why did you choose bypass over sleeve?

So glad you posted your surgery story....I like the idea of sending flowers...wonderful gesture......they care so much about the success of their patients in these surgeries......nice to say TY like you did.....I will be sleeved on Oct.2......going to ask for the nausea patch if they use them........

Hi everyone! I had gastric bypass yesterday and although i know this is support for sleeve (which I originally thought was going to happen)' date=' recovery is similar. In the pre surgery room, the nurse put a nausea patch on behind my ear. He said it would be good for three days. It must be working. No nausea, no gas pains, they took me off the IV and the morphine drip. I am taking liquid pain relief. The pain is mostly soreness inside but I really feel almost normal except when i get out of bed to walk in the hallway or to use the restroom. Everyone (staff, my surgeon and nurses) all have told me i am doing great and look great too. (Could be the make-up I put on this morning....LOL!). They helped give me a sponge bath and brush my teeth and use deodorant. I will be discharged sometime tomorrow. I am allowed to drink four oz cups of hot tea or diluted juice or broth. The ice chips have been heavenly. I had sent a flower basket yesterday on my surgery date to my surgeons team because they are so wonderful so they have stopped by or called to say thank you. I got one of the little carnation puppy dog design with Fall flowers and leaves. I was told the doctor's office loves it. I know everyone's bodies are different but I truly hope for a smooth surgery and recovery for you. Thanks![/quote']

What happened? Why did you end up with gbp? Happy to hear your doing well!

Hi there! My surgeon is a huge fan of the sleeve but my exercise level has been nonexistent. (Single mother with 14 yr old twins who have sports and they attend two different high schools. My son chose Jesuit HS which is an all boy Catholic school and his sister chose a co-ed catholic HS.) These two schools are far from where we live so I commute all the time leaving very little time for exercising. My surgeon wants me to lose over 100 lbs to reach 150/160% weight loss which he felt I wouldn't achieve with the sleeve and my current stuff lifestyle . I first weighed in at 239 and during the pre-op diet weighed in at 224.5 day of the surgery. He recommended bypass to reach goal weight of 135/140 in a year that he didnt feel i would achieve on the sleeve.