Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Poll - Democrat or Republican?

What Political Party Do You Vote For?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. What Political Party Do You Vote For?

• Democrat
    • Republican
    • Independent
    • I Don't Vote

Ok. I get it. I don't need anymore of your list of perceived problems with the left wing. I certainly do not agree with much on your list. I doubt if you agree with much on mine.

One thing we can agree on that Voondabah mentioned, is that by the time a person is at the point that they can compete politically on a national level, they've already sold their souls and it doesn't matter which party it is. :) It's really disheartening no matter who you decide to support with your vote.

The best we can do is to support the person and platform that we find more in tune with our beliefs, and to let our voices be heard as much as possible.

P.S. I, for one, do not wish to take your guns away. I believe everyone in the U.S. should own at least one gun and should be well-practiced at shooting any guns they own.

I don't own a gun, but I'd love to know how to shoot and then get one. I lived near the NRA in VA, and one time went there w/my daughter. I wanted her to get into a gun safety course, and for both of us to learn how to shoot. They were RUDE. I was told to buy a gun before I even thought about shooting there...and when I asked what kind of gun should I get, they couldn't answer because they can't endorse a gun. ARGH. So much for gun safety, etc, that they tout. I just want my kid to know enough about guns so that if she's visiting a house that does have them she'll know how to or not to handle them.

I believe that guns don't kill people - people kill people. I live in TX now, I just assume that everyone has a gun!

Sorry...I went of course for a moment. Back on topic:

It would be interesting to see how many people really stand for the individual issues of their party. I honestly think I'd be split, which is why I am registered one way, but can vote either way with a clear conscience. I'm not emotionally dedicated to either party, but instead to the politcal agendas presented each election.

Obama forgets to salute flag, forgets to wear flag button, etc., etc.,

Yet Bush never misses a chance to salute the flag, wear a flag button or salute flag-draped coffins returning from Iraq and Afghanistan.

Wow! Things are just crazy in this country!!

P.S. When I grew up, we saluted the flag when it was in motion (a parade, for instance, or when it was being moved down an aisle) and we saluted when we were saying the Pledge of Allegience to the Flag. That was the ONLY time it was deemed appropriate to salute our flag. We didn't salute during the National Anthem. It was a song which was sung often without the flag being present. Things have changed some these days due to the increased military presence we encounter. Many times our Armed Forces salute when regular citizens aren't expected to.

Republicans would like for everyone to believe that they have a corner on patriotism - what a joke. They don't seem to believe in Americans as much as they believe in themselves.

The truth is: that Republicans are no more war mongers than Democrats are afraid of war. Neither extreme is true. One can win an argument about the issues without being ridiculous and personally insulting.

Obama forgets to salute flag, forgets to wear flag button, etc., etc.,

Yet Bush never misses a chance to salute the flag, wear a flag button or salute flag-draped coffins returning from Iraq and Afghanistan.

Wow! Things are just crazy in this country!!

Don't they deserve the respect of the Commander in Chief? To not think after there sacrifice that they don't is plain crazy. No one is stopping anyone from moving out.

Dude, I'm not dissing the Pres because he salutes the flag draped coffins of our military... I'm dissing him because he is responsible for their deaths.

Yeah, Democrats are war mongers, that's for sure!

I want to keep more than half of the money that I earn!!! I am tired of the government giving it to people who sit on their ass all day eating Doritos and watching Judge Joe Brown!!!

I wonder who would be for more social programs??? Duhhh!

Duh. I'd like to keep more than half what you make too. Kidding, of course. I don't know what you make but I'd bet you'd like to keep ALL of what you make. I'm sure you'd do your part for those unfortunate Americans who needed serious help through no fault of their own, if we let you keep ALL the money you work for. Right?

Nobody wants to foot the bill for good-for-nothing, Dorito-eating, Judge Joe Brown watching people.

The difference between you and me is that I believe that there are some very good government programs (although I admit that some are extremely poorly run). I don't mind working some of my week to see to it that we can provide a decent education for our children. I will work to make sure that if someone is hit by a car, that they can be treated at a hospital whether they have insurance or not. I know that the reason we enjoy such a wonderful way of life here in America is because we have worked for it. We contribute to our country in so many ways and that is what keeps it great for everyone.

If it gets too lopsided in this country, if the rich continue to just keep getting richer while the poor and middle class get poorer, things WILL change. And not for the better.

I know I came off as not understanding your point, but I do understand how unfair it feels when you think people are sponging off you and you see that significant amount of money going to taxes every week out of your paychecks. But the Republicans haven't, nor are they going to, put a stop to that. They just like to make you think they are. They are experts at spin when it comes to elections. It's what they do best... they get elected.

They get elected and then they personally get richer. You and I usually do not get richer when the Republicans are in power. Somehow you and I are going to have to pay for this war they've waged and it is not an insignificant amount. And it is more, I'm willing to bet, than any amount of money we've spent on Dorito-eating Judge Joe Brown viewers.

I want to help give a hand to anyone who is UNABLE to work and have the means to provide for their family.....I am a human being for gods sake! I just do not want to pay for 3rd generation welfare families or illegals that commit crimes over and over again. I know some illegals are hard workers but.....so am I. I have to pay half of what I make to the government....maybe if I didn't have to I would donate to more charities. I would spend it the way I see fit....to better this planet but when I have to pay taxes when I earn it, taxes when I spend it and if there is any left to save....taxes when I save it. The system is broken.

You are right....I would like to help the less fortunate in any way I can.....I just do not think that the less fortunate are the ones benefiting from my hard earned dollars. It is the people that know how to work the system, the junkies and the alcoholics and the people who are here illegally that I am paying for. Check out some of my other post...I have donated clothes to people in need, suits to a charity that will give them to women getting back into the work force after leaving shelters etc.

Okay I am starting to rant and I do not want to. Just do not judge me because I think the government is broken.

Honestly Metal, I'm trying not to be judgmental. I totally understand what you're saying. In some ways, the government is definitely broke. My argument is more about what the Republicans promise and what they deliver.

I believe that at least the Democrats care about the country more and about individuals more than the Republicans have demonstrated.

I believe that we've been trying to get rid of welfare fraud and that we have made inroads. There are lots of other problems and lots of programs that cost us more than the welfare program. I don't like any fraud or waste in government. I just disagree with you that the Republicans have the answers or care enough to fix any of it. They only do what it takes to get elected and line their own pockets. In my humble opinion.

Hey, that's why we have the two-party system. Doesn't make us bad people because we vote one way or the other. The whole election process is tainted anyway. If we allowed ourselves to really dissect the way the government is run, we'd probably move to Canada.

BJean-I disagree with you that the Republicans line their pockets....I think both parties do!!! I do not really fully agree with either party, just in my opinion the lesser of two evils. My political views do not define me. It is so not what I am about and it sounds like the same with you.

I think this country is on a slippery slope and heading down hill fast. I am scared about the future!

Cheers,

Maureen

Just a reminder: That large, non-partisan study done last year showed that conservatives and religious people gave far more $$ and time to charities and needy people than did the non-religious and liberals. The reason was that conservatives believed taking care of others was a personal responsibility, while the liberals believed it was the government's job. I think we can all agree that there is validity to both sides, but I wish that we could stop promoting stereotypes and judgments against those who don't look at things in the same way we do. I think reasonable people can see that most people truly want what is best for others. No one wants to see people starving or homeless. To make one side or the other out to be uncaring or selfish does nothing to solve problems and only promotes the differences between us. I know that everyone here wants what is best for others. We just differ in how to go about that and so I think this debate is a good one if we can focus on the positives. IMHO......