Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why NO caffeine?

Not only did it have it on my pre-op diet papers, but I found it listed as a no on more than one site. I pulled up dies recommendation on Obesityhelp.com and I found it on someones food list on this site as well. I just dont know why.:confused:

I'm really not sure, its on my plan too. It seems to be a consistent thing I see with other diet plans....maybe something with how it affects your metabolism.

Carol

Caffeine just isn't the healthiest thing we can put into our bodies. It contributes to dehydration and might actually increase our hunger (or so I've heard). But it's not on everyone's no-no list, by any means. I think it's just a generally recognized thing to try to minimize if you're really going to do as well as you possibly can for your healthy eating plan.

My doctor allows it, in fact I had it in the hospital. I would be a grump for sure if they took my tea and coffee away. You might check with your doctor and see if they will let you have it. I just read a report that came out lately that said coffee is good for you now, even help your blood pressure. Not long ago they said it was bad for you. I guess they can't make up their minds!

Thank you everyone! I dont think I can totally give it up. I will have to ask when I see the doctor next. :confused:

taken from: http://www.teeccino.com/weightloss.aspx

The following characteristics of coffee have an adverse effect on weight loss:

• Coffee Elevates Stress Hormones
    • Caffeine in coffee elevates the stress hormones cortisol, epinephrine (also known as adrenaline) and norepinephrine.<sup>8, 9, 10, 11</sup> These hormones are responsible for increased heart rate and blood pressure, and a sense of "emergency alert". Circulation of oxygen to the brain and extremities is decreased and the immune system is suppressed.
    • The purpose of this "fight or flight" response is to provide the body with a temporary energy boost for intense physical activity. With today’s sedentary lifestyle, the continual state of increased stress resulting from caffeine consumption can negatively affect weight control through disruptions in normal metabolism.

[*]Increased Cortisol Levels Lead to Abdominal Obesity

• Chronically elevated blood cortisol levels that are caused by frequent stress or regular caffeine or coffee intake lead to an increased buildup of fat in the abdominal area; this type of weight gain further stimulates the release of additional stress hormones.<sup>12</sup>

[*]Increased Stress Leads to Overeating

• This chronic state of increased stress caused by caffeine is associated with a markedly increased tendency to overeat. CNS stimulants stimulate anxiety and caffeine consumption increases the tendency of people to overeat or binge-eat and abuse laxatives and diet pills.<sup>13, 14</sup>
    • Coffee drinking increases physiological measurements of stress, and although this effect is greater with increased caffeine levels, decaffeinated coffee may also influence stress as factors other than caffeine in coffee are associated with stress.<sup>15</sup>
    • Elevation of stress hormones leads to fat cravings.<sup>16</sup>
    • Elevated levels of cortisol increase appetite.<sup>17</sup>

[*]Caffeine Exacerbates Insulin Resistance Syndrome

• Caffine ingestion contributes to insulin resistance and impairs glucose and insulin homeostasis as part of the stress response.<sup>18, 19</sup> Even moderate amounts of coffee can have this effect.<sup>20</sup>
    • Obesity, high blood pressure, impaired glucose metabolism and elevated LDL and lowered HDL blood lipids cluster to generate insulin resistance syndrome. Stress and the release of corticosteroids contribute to the pathogenesis of this syndrome. When people with this syndrome drink coffee as a weight-loss aid, it negatively affects all the conditions associated with this syndrome. <sup>21, 22</sup>
    • Drinking coffee can cause insomnia and sleep deprivation, both of which have been found to increase insulin resistance.<sup>23</sup> People who are deprived of adequate deep sleep, and are in situations of sleep debt have lower levels of glucose tolerance, greater insulin resistance, increased concentrations of blood cortisol and stimulation of the sympathetic nervous system.<sup>24, 25</sup>

[*]Caffeine Stimulates Appetite

• Although caffeine is included as an ingredient in many weight-loss aids, it actually stimulates appetite, and organizations including the mayo Clinic<sup>26</sup> discourage the use of caffeine as a weight-loss aid. Initially, caffeine may decrease appetite through its central nervous system response. However, subsequently caffeine increases cortisol levels, and higher levels of cortisol stimulate appetite.<sup>27, 28</sup>
    • Caffeine triggers hypoglycemia through the activation of the sympathetic nervous system and the adrenal glands, causing an immediate and sustained constriction of blood vessels, decreased circulation to the brain and a heightened feeling of low blood sugar.<sup>29</sup> The body’s reaction to hypoglycemia results in food cravings and increased appetite. People often crave higher fat foods resulting in increased caloric intake, further interfering with the body’s ability to maintain a healthy weight.<sup>30, 31</sup>

[*]Coffee Increases Serum Cholesterol Levels

• Lipid metabolism is an important factor in weight loss, and drinking cofee is linked to higher levels of serum cholesterol, with particularly high levels noted in people who drink boiled coffee or coffee processed at high temperatures (which includes espress and espresso drinks).<sup>32, 33</sup> Other forms of coffee including decaffeinated coffee have also been shown to increase serum cholesterol levels.<sup>34, 35</sup> Coffee drinking also demonstrably raises blood levels of low density lipoproteins in one lipid research study<sup>36</sup>, although results in other studies are inconclusive.

[*]Caffeine Interferes with GABA Metabolism

• GABA (Gamma-aminobutyric acid) is a neurotransmitter naturally produced in the brain and nervous system as well as the heart. It plays an important role in mood and stress management and influences a persons sense of well-being.
    • Caffeine has been found to interfere with binding of GABA to GABA receptors, preventing it from performing its calming function.<sup>37</sup> GABA’s role in stress management is compromised in the presence of caffeine, and increased physiological and psychological stress lead to overeating as well as difficulties losing weight.

Hi,

Caffeine is also listed from my surgeon's office as a "no-no" because caffeine can irritate the stomach lining in addition to the list of reasons mentioned in a previous post. Like alcohol, using caffeine may cause the irritation and thus weaken the stomach, thus causing band problems. I'm not a doctor, but that is what I learned in my classes/support groups.

I drink Decaf every morning (just one cup or half a cup) and when I really "party" I do have an iced tea just for a change of pace. I don't do that much, tho. I got used to it right away, and I was a big coffee/tea/Diet Pepsi drinker in my previous life!! :)

Cheers!

Rose

My nutritionist said "no caffeine" because it could cause gastritis. I, however, have continued to injest just as much if not more caffeine than I did pre-banding. They also said "no alcohol"... HA! That's a laugh. I think as with anything in life, you have to weigh and measure the calculated risks you want to take. I get all the information, consider all the risks and benefits, and make my decisions from there. Everything we do is a risk. Heck, getting into a car is a risk we take every day! I'll risk the slim chance of gastritis in order to enjoy my tea and coffe.

My nutritionist said "no caffeine" because it could cause gastritis. I, however, have continued to injest just as much if not more caffeine than I did pre-banding. They also said "no alcohol"... HA! That's a laugh. I think as with anything in life, you have to weigh and measure the calculated risks you want to take. I get all the information, consider all the risks and benefits, and make my decisions from there. Everything we do is a risk. Heck, getting into a car is a risk we take every day! I'll risk the slim chance of gastritis in order to enjoy my tea and coffe.

I totally agree. I gave up everything carbonated and even chicken so I think I deserve my daily dose of iced tea. JMO

I noticed on my post -op diet it said no caffeine. I love my coffee and ice tea. Can anyone tell my why it is not reccommended?

It is listed because caffeine is a gastric irritant, much like NSAIDS like aspirin or aleve. It can also increase GERD, I think.

I was told no caffeine. I see my surgeon at 6 weeks. If I could have at least one cup, I would be thrilled.

We'll see.