Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I accidently posted a question about what is Grazing in the pre-op section. Opps!

So I'll ask here too. What exactly IS grazing? I prefer to eat my Protein rather than drink it. But it takes my about 45 minutes to eat, or about an hour to drink a shake. By the time i'm done, about an hour or so later its time to start again. Esp when trying to get 64oz of liquid in! So it seems like i'm eating/drinking all the time. That sure seems like grazing to me, and isnt that a 'no-no?'.

Thanks!!

No, your doing it right. Grazing is more like continuous snacking or eating. It does seem to all run together in the beginning.

How far post op are you? In the beginning yes you will be eating and drinking all the time. By the time you get to full foods it should ease up some. But the drinking, if you mean Water, doesn't count. I still have days where it seems I spend all day going from one meal, to the next bottle of Water, to the next meal. That's not grazing. Grazing is constantly grabbing a handful of this or that between meals. If you eat your Protein properly, then wait 30 minutes before drinking, you should not be hungry for a while. For me it's 3 hours or so. So during that 3 hours I will drink water. By the time I'm finished drinking and wait 30 minutes, it's time to eat again (or drink a shake).

The biggest problem with grazing is you lose count of what you're eating because it's hard to log every single small bite you grab to eat. And since you never get satisfied, you keep grabbing for the next food item. For me, eating 3-4 oz of Protein satisfies me. A hand full of nuts or a bite of cheese really does not.

Grazing is when you're home and bored and constantly walk back and forth to the kitchen to eat something (mostly snacks).

Grazing is when you're home and bored and constantly walk back and forth to the kitchen to eat something (mostly snacks).

LOL!! I USED to do that!!! :-)

I still eat that way. As I posted on another thread, I do not like the very full feeling I get so I weigh and portion my food for the workday which includes Breakfast, lunch and a snack. The I eat it very slowly throughout the day.

I stick to my nutritional guide for calories, fat and carbs by plugging everything into My Fitness Pal. This won't work for everyone, but it works for me.

I would define "grazing" as uncontrolled and undocumented snacking throughout the day, e.g. a handful of chips here, a half a cookie there, some nuts as you pass by the kitchen, some cheese as you pass again ...

It sounds the same, but you really do not know how much you've been eating.

ButterTheBean;

Today I'm four weeks out! Yay!!!

No, not Water, but other things that could count as liquid like pudding or posicals, although I'm trying to back off from those.

You are right, after 4oz of a Protein shake i AM full, but i keep at it bcs I need the Protein & liquid.

I know I'm getting all my protein in, but i've started to lapse on my liquids and thats not good. So i was thinking of adding tea (w creamer) and more substantial (and less boring) than Water. But would those count as grazing?

I guess, to me, my mouth is constantly eating or sipping something.....and it kinda feels like grazing, but I guess it depends on what goes in?

Thanks! (to you & everyone)

No' date=' your doing it right. Grazing is more like continuous snacking or eating. It does seem to all run together in the beginning.[/quote']

Does it ever!! Thanks!! :-)

CaTracks,

Ok- that makes sense! I am tracking on MFP, so

I'm not mindlessly eating.

Geesh, this is a darn full time job!! Just when i think i have it all figured out something else pops up!

Thanks to all of you guys! Great group!

It gets easier....in about 6 years.

J/K....at this point, it's still work for me. But you get much better and much more efficient at it so it's not a big deal. If I didn't think about it or put any effort into it, I would go back to eating the way I did before.

Hah! Thanks BTB!! ( like your new handle? Lol!)

6 years...thruuppppp!!! :-)