Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Soft Food Snack Suggestions?

I'm having a bit of trouble. I spend the majority of my days at school all day, where I do not always have access to a refrigerator/microwave to bring myself an actual lunch, and I'm failing at giving myself enough to eat/giving myself any variety. I am still on soft foods for another month or so, which really limits the things I would usually turn to (Protein bars, salad, etc).

Lately I have been bringing myself string cheese, a Protein Drink, and a fruit - but during my long days when I have class and then clinical that is not enough. I have tried a muscle milk and an Isopure but then I just feel like I haven't had anything to actually eat all day. I know Protein wise it's good for me, but I'd really like to switch it up and incorporate some actual food into the equation.

So I guess this is my question: Do any of you have any ideas for soft food lunches/snacks that do not have to be refrigerated or microwaved that I could take with me to school?

Thanks!

I'm not sure how your doc feels about them for soft foods, but I keep a couple of those tuna lunch kits with me for quick meals. No refrigeration required and they come in very handy for a high Protein snack or meal.

I'm gonna fo a bit of a different direction than you were looking for, but have you looked into an insulated lunch bag & frees able gel packs? With these you could easily carry refrigerated items. I would even consider asking if there is a freezer at school you could keep a couple gel packs in. Then on long days you could swap them out easily.

I know you said you don't "always" have access to a fridge, but do you most of the time?

Have you considered an insulated, soft-sided cooler bag? It looks like a purse or lunch sack, but you can use the frozen blocks that keep your food chilled for hours? Just pre-pack your Snacks the morning before, throw them in the bag with the freezer-blocks should carry you through lunch.< /p>

I really dig Greek yogurt with berries or cottage cheese with applesauce for my soft Snacks, but they do have to stay at minimum chilled.

I agree with the others about using an insulated lunch bag with a gel-pack. A thermos would be good for chili and Soups too.

Early out, I often ate lunchmeat and a couple of saltine crackers. Lunchmeat is also great wrapped around a string cheese. The Light Babybel cheese is also low in calories and high in Protein. Shrimp salad (shrimp with a little lowfat mayo) is also tasty. I often buy a roast chicken from costco and eat a slice or two for lunch.

For chili, I ate the lowfat turkey (my plan didn't allow beef for the first six weeks). I also like Anderson Split Pea Soup. High in Protein and sat well. Soups with potato bothered my tummy the first few weeks.

Lynda

Thanks for the suggestions =) I will definitely try them out. I love split pea Soup. I do have an ice pack, I think I haven't used it as much because I always seem to forget to put it back in the freezer. I need to make it a habit like I do with putting my keys on the hook - I finally don't lose them as often!

Thanks for the suggestions =) I will definitely try them out. I love split pea Soup. I do have an ice pack' date=' I think I haven't used it as much because I always seem to forget to put it back in the freezer. I need to make it a habit like I do with putting my keys on the hook - I finally don't lose them as often![/quote']

That's why you need a few of them so when you are packing your lunch you take the warm one out and put it in the freezer at the same time you grab the frozen one. ;)