Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Too Much Protein?

So, I basicly eat Protein for 80% of my meals and the rest is veggies, very few carbs at all. .(an occasional popcorn or cookie treat)... Lately I've been have some strange pressure in my kidney area (seeing my doctor next week)... When I eat more carbs (like this week), it disappears... My urine is kind of foamy, like when I was doing only Protein shakes pre-op...

Has anyone else ever experienced this??

what is the Protein count in grams on a typical day?

Are you taking a lot of antacids? They can have a negative effect on your kidneys.

From the mayo Clinic: http://www.mayoclini...y-urine/AN01702

What does it mean when you have foamy urine? Should I be concerned if it doesn't go away after a few days?

Answer

from Erik P. Castle, M.D.

Passing foamy urine now and then is normal, for the speed of urination and other factors can influence this. But you should see your doctor if you have persistently foamy urine that becomes more noticeable over time. This can be a sign of Protein in your urine (proteinuria), which requires further evaluation. Increased amounts of Protein in urine may indicate a serious kidney problem.

If your urine seems unusually foamy most of the time, your doctor may recommend that your urine be checked for elevated levels of protein. If the test is positive, you may need further tests to determine the cause of the problem.

90-120g (this includes 40g of supplemental Proteins from Protein drinks)...

Oh My, your a Protein Goddess! I'm lucky to get in 60g a day. CosleeveDude has provided all the info you need. CALL YOUR DOCTOR, see if he can see you sooner.

interesting... my nutritionists recommend, post surgery, 60-70 grams protein/day.

My NUT said our kidneys aren't able to keep up with filtering if you eat more than 100 grams of Protein per day, so it starts spilling over into your urine (proteinuria). She said there is no added benefit of going over 100, only damage to your kidneys. If you don't mind me asking, why are you still drinking Protein shakes if you're getting in that much with food?

I was told to try and get 100g of Protein a day, they said when I first start out I might only be able to get 60g but up it as my food stages change and get 100g a day.

If your not sure of anything always check with your doctor so you’re doing the right thing.

Some people only get 60g a day some people have between 90-120g a day maybe cut your shake in half one scoop if you do 2 and cut back a bit on the shakes so your not going over 100g

My NUT said our kidneys aren't able to keep up with filtering if you eat more than 100 grams of Protein per day, so it starts spilling over into your urine (proteinuria). She said there is no added benefit of going over 100, only damage to your kidneys. If you don't mind me asking, why are you still drinking Protein shakes if you're getting in that much with food?

From what I've heard, that's not necessarily true especially if you spread out the protein throughout the day.

I try and get 150+ per day, and usually do. But I'm also a 6 foot tall guy.

From what I've heard' date=' that's not necessarily true especially if you spread out the Protein throughout the day.

I try and get 150+ per day, and usually do. But I'm also a 6 foot tall guy.[/quote']

I don't know if stats has anything to do with it, but she did say that all you need is 60-80 grams with the sleeve, and quoted upwards to 100 grams with the duodenal switch. Too much of anything has the potential to be harmful. I think the OP should cut back to 100 or less until she has a urinalysis done, kidney function is not something to take lightly.

I get at least 125-150 grams of Protein daily. I am also a big guy and I do a lot of exercise including strength training.

Typical bodybuilding and strength training doctrine has always been 1 gram of Protein per lb of body weight. For obese individuals (us) it's 1 gram per lb of ideal body weight. I don't know if I believe that much is necessary, but from what I've read too much protein is only a problem in people with unhealthy kidneys.

Here's an excerpt from an article I found....

"Is it OK to eat a lot more protein than the minimum recommendations?

This is the crucial question for people on diets that are higher in protein than usual, as low-carb diets tend to be. In a review of the research, the National Academy of Sciences reported that the only known danger from high-protein diets is for individuals with kidney disease. After careful study, they recommend that 10 percent to 35 percent of daily calories come from protein. They point out that increased protein could be helpful in treating obesity. There is also accumulating evidence that extra protein may help prevent osteoporosis.

Extra protein can be broken down into glucose in a process called gluconeogenesis. On low carb diets, this happens continually. One benefit of obtaining glucose from protein is that it is absorbed into the bloodstream very slowly, so it doesn’t cause a rapid blood sugar increase."