Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Coming Here After Lap Band Talk

so I've been on lap band talk for months now. but after talking to my doctor I might get sleeve instead. has anyone have anything encouraging to say

Oye! What a question!

Yee Haw! Do I have encouraging things to say!

First off, have you checked out the Band to Sleeve Revisions forum? Basically, all the folks that had bands with complications and decided to go to sleeve.

For me, I needed a fundamental change with my relationship with food that was permanent. I know deep down that my relationship with food was not good and a band, for me, would have been a temporary crutch. I needed something permanent. Sleeve fits the bill.

While there are staples in my stomach, there are no other devices or re-routing of my internal organs. This is my same stomach functioning in the exact same way ... just smaller.

I had my surgery 14 months ago, have been at goal (lost 100% of my excess weight) for several months now and still have excellent restriction. I can eat any food I want to, just in smaller quantities.

It was the tool I needed to get to a healthier me.

If you are viewing through a web browser, you can see some of my before and after pictures HERE.

I got my sleeve 6 days ago and feel great! So happy I made this decision. One of the main reasons I decided on the sleeve was that the nurse I met with for the informational meeting had the RNY 15 years ago. I asked her if she were to do it now would she do the same procedure? She said she would do the sleeve. The first nurse I met with was PG and going to have the surgery after she had the baby. I asked if she minded telling me which one she would have and she said "hands down the sleeve"

They see patients every day and I thought that spoke volumes!

I had absolutely no reservations going into this. I did a lot of research and felt very comfortable. So happy I did it!!!

BTW, I've been poking around over at LapBandTalk lately just to see what the folks over there say about the sleeve.

The most negative comments I see are from people in the first month post-op complaining about being hungry and having issues eating/drinking.

Have no doubt about it, the first month is difficult as you begin to eat after having 85% of your stomach removed. If you think about it, though, it does make sense that you have to take things easy. From what I read over there, their expectations are higher than the reality. After 6 weeks or so, things smooth out nicely and you begin enjoying "eating like a normal person".

That is all I ever really wanted and that is what the sleeve has given me.

Stokes, I switched yesterday after my PreOp w Dr. Reilly!!! I am getting sleeved on 9/21; according to the Dr office an approval from BCBS is for all so I am having the EGD done this Friday.