Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fill # Four

Hi All,

I saw my Dr. today, and she did add .9cc to my band, filling it to 3.0. As she had instructed me prior to my appt., I brought a thick puree--an Atkins peach yogurt, and she was astounded that I could easily eat half of it (maybe more; I didn't try) after my fill?? She told me that I am only the second band patient (and she has done THOUSANDS) she has filled to 3.0??? She says most are at 1.4, 1.8 or 2.0 at most??? I felt like a freak! At my doctor's request, I am going to schedule an upper GI early next week. She says that it is a standard 6 month check, but she wants to make sure that I have not stretched my esophogus allowing me to eat so much??? Is this pouch stretching?? I can still drink Water easily, and I came home and ate some clear Soup with no problem. She did check, and all the previous saline (2.1) was still there.

If I had esophogus problems wouldn't I have heartburn or other symptoms??? Do I need to worry about this? Does anyone know anything? She said that if that was the case that she would need to remove some fill to let the esophogus go back to normal.

Since we were discussing this recently, I did ask her about the longevity of the band, and she said that it had been tested for 20 years, but was expected to last a life time. At the rate I have been going, I figure I can lose some weight in 20 years. I did lose ONE pound since last month.....so depressing.

Thanks for the info about the new book....I ordered a copy.

Any words of wisdom or encouragement?

Sultana

Sultana, there will always be people at either end of the bell curve, and you're just lucky enough to be one of them. Dr. Kurian will be talking about you to new patients in the years to come. :D

When you ate that peach yogurt, I assume you did it in the doctor's office? Did they ask you what it felt like as you were eating it? Being able to stuff a thick puree of something (which, btw, I am POSITIVE I would have absolutely no trouble with) does not necessarily mean you've done any damage. Can you feel it actually going down? If you're taking big swigs at once do you feel it building up in the back of your throat? Try an experiment with drinking some icewater and see if you can feel it traveling. Maybe that will shed some light on the situation.

(It just occurred to me, that when I get a fill the doctor has me take three big swallows of Water when I'm completely closed off so I'll know what it feels like. So, I guess three big swallows is all it takes to fill my pouch AND my esophagus to the point where I can feel it in the back of my throat. Yet when he pulls out a tiny bit of saline so that the stoma is letting through what only looks like a tiny thread of barium, the difference in sensation is astonishing and I can suddenly drink and even gulp Water with ease. I don't think there's a 1:1 correlation in what we feel vs. what is actually there. I'm just rambling here, I don't know where I'm going with this, but it's something I think I'll ask about next week at our meeting.)

I take it you haven't been having fills under x-ray. That tells the doctor a lot and it's a good idea to have it done. If you were having a serious problem I'd think it would have made itself known by now, but I'm no expert. Do let us know what you discover next week, and try not to worry!!

Hi Alex,

Yes, I did eat the yogurt in her office---when she had the saline syringe in my port and after the .9 additional fill. I did drink cold Water, and I could feel it sitting there--the cold. I have had nothing since my Soup earlier...AND I AM NOT HUNGRY!!! I'm hoping I am onto something here.

Dr. K. does not do fluoro--she (and I know many doctors disagree, and I can see why) believes it is a "flawed practice" because it only shows the passage of liquid and not food. She was making comments when she was injecting the saline that she could feel the resistance. She has so much experience that I guess it is second nature to her.

I appreciate your rambling--it makes me think. I sure hope this is the one that does the trick for me. I just wonder why I require so much fill? I have to agree with you that if there was something wrong, I would probably have problems or symptoms. I guess I am just a freak. Oops! Now I am rambling.

Hey, good news about band longevity, eh?

Thanks for your wisdom and support. I will keep posting!

Sultana:confused:

Sultana, you are not a freak!!! :D

There are many people who need fills greater than 3.0.

I am filled to 2.6, and can eat reduced amounts of anything. I can eat a whole yoghurt slowly.

:D

Hi All,

I definitely feel this restriction since my fill yesterday and I am very excited hoping it will really start some serious weight loss, a bit apprehensive that I may be filled too tight, challenged at learning to eat all over again, and grateful to all of you.

I have my upper GI scheduled for Tuesday of next week.

Hey, I just invented this GREAT milkshake--especially for those who may not be able to "eat" Breakfast. Atkins has come out with low carb yogurt (12 grams of Protein and 80 calories). I spooned one in a glass, added milk and one packet of Sweet and Low, and it sure is yummy and not too many calories. It's not as much Protein as the Protein drinks, but a lot cheaper! It's going down nicely too, so I am not too restricted I guess. I do feel like burping all the time I drink??

Thanks Donali, Alex, and others.

I had a fill last fri 18th and my doctor put .8 in since I was going on a trip. I called today and told them I didn't feel anything, and I can't believe that at 10am I'm going in again to add more. I'm so happy and shocked I get to go so soon. I'm gonna ask for 1.5? Is that too much to ask? Hope not.

Hi,

I think it's great that you have a Dr. who is willing to accomodate you. As to whether 1.5 is too much who knows? It seems that we are all so individual. I remember Sue told us that with 2.0 she would be blocked. I currently have 3.0, and so far so good, although I have not tested it on solid food yet. I received a private e-mail today from a bandster who told me that Dr. Ren, in a support meeting said that she will fill to 4.0 and even 5.0 if a patient is lacking restriction. I wish (boy do I ever) that fill amount was completely objective, but, alas, it's not. Keep us posted, okay?

Sultana