Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hoping for surgery

Hi All

I want to have surgery and have my first Dr. Appt on 10/10. I have been been overweight all my life. I have at points managed to lose up to 40 lbs but have never been able to get to a normal weight. I have many complications brought on by being obese. I understand that having surgery is serious and is not a magic bullet. At this point I am desperate to lose the weight and regain my health. I think my having surgery is my last chance to save my physical health. Emotionally I am not sure where I am. Excited to start losing weight but afraid of going thru this and failing. Thanks for reading. I appreciate the support

Hi Kimmi,

Welcome to LBT! We are glad you found us.

Making the decision to have the band is not one I think any of us go into lightly. Most everyone has tried just about every method of losing weight we can think of. Sometimes we are successful. Most of the time we either aren't successful, or we gain the weight back (in my case, we add even more pounds than we took off). I see this as being no different than a person who is addicted to smoking or alcohol. It is very difficult to "kick the habit" and we usually have to reach an all time low point before we finally decide we have had enough and if we want to continue living, be healthy and have a good quality of life, then we have to make that final, life changing decision. For us here, that decision is to acknowledge that we are unable to succeed at the more "traditional" ways of losing weight and we need help. For us, that help comes in the form of our band. It is not taking the easy way out. You still have to make good food choices and you still have to exercise. But, with the band, you have a constant companion who is there to tell you you have had enough and it is time to quit eating. With that being said, I personally feel that if you have proper restriction it is almost impossible to fail with the band. I don't always make great choices, I still eat cheetos and chips and dip. But you know what, even when I do, I still lose because my band does not let me get out of control with the quantity that I eat.

It is normal to be nervous before having surgery. But with the band, the risks of not having it probably far outweigh the risks of having it. I think you are making a wise choice.

Please check out the stickies at the top of each forum. They have a wealth of information that you will find very helpful as you begin this journey. And, of course, do not hesitate to ask for help and advice. We are all here to support one another.

Welcome Kimmi, I agree with Susan, most if not all of us had second (and third, and fourth etc.) thoughts about this surgery. It's perfectly normal to feel like you're on an emotional rollercoaster. It's a big decision and only you can make it. The best advice that I can give you is to educate yourself as much as you can. Listen to your doctor. And don't beat yourself up about failing past diets. food is addictive. Food is always there for you (when you have a bad day, break up, are pmsing, you get the drift). And unlike other addictions you can't just quit cold turkey for the rest of your life. You have to have some sort of food to survive, the trick is to know when enough is enough. That is what the band is for. I am new on this journey. But I know that at least I am trying to be healthier, we have to give ourselves credit for that. Good luck and keep reading. There are a lot of good people here that are just like you.

:clap2: I see Dr. Spivak on 9/23. How long does it take to actually have the surgery? I will be self-pay. Do they run any certain kinds of tests, like scope stuff? I am really excited about this.

Welcome, Kimmi! I think all of your feelings are very normal and something most of us can relate to. We have all been there. Do some soul-searching and be honest with yourself about your fears. Then read, read, read all you can to arm yourself with information.

Good luck on your journey!