Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One year bandiversary (Crosspost)

Hi Everyone,

Today I woke up and thought to myself, its my bandiversary!! Yeah! Its hard to believe that it has been one year since I have been banded. For the newbies, the time goes very fast even though the liquid phase feels like it will never end!!!

Gosh, where do I start? So many good things have happened to me with -120 pounds lost forever.

THese are the highlights:

I can run up a flight of stairs without even being slightly out of breath. Last year this time, I could not walk up a flight of steps without stopping 3 or 4 times to catch my breath. It would take me 5-10 minutes for my heart to stop pounding in my chest.

I flew two times on an airplane without extenders and even crossed my legs the second trip! I had not flown for several years and would have anxiety attacks and cry before getting on a plane.

I am no longer embarrassed when I go to restaurants or food establishments. I can fit in the booths and I no longer measure distances between the seat and the table. When I think of all the time and energy I exerted thinking whether or not I would fit in chairs or booths, it was exhausting.

I exercise regularly 3x a week with a personal trainer and do 1 hour of weight lifting, eliptical and circuit training. Who ever thought I would like exercising?

I no longer have skin problems, edema from my knees to my ankles, borderline diabetes and hyperinsulinemia and borderline high blood pressure.

I rode a horse and he survived!

Went from a tight 28 pants and 26 shirts to size 16-18 pants and size 14-16 on top.!!

I am now smaller than my husband and at my lightest weight in 18 years!

I made dozens of new friends like Donali, Alexandra, Kellymoos, Michelle, Kimberly, Jill S. and so many others here in my local DFW support group, obesity help, smart bandsters, lapband talk and graduate bandsters that it would not be possible to list everyones names. I have never had such a strong support network of people who understand what its like to live as a banded person and the struggles of obesity. FOr all of you and the ones I did not mention, I am eternally grateful for the support, the transition clothing and for the daily pep talks when I had problems or questions.

I have decided to modify my goal weight and aim for 168-170. That leaves me 44 pounds to get to a weight I can live with pre- plastic surgery. I know that we dont have this surgery for vanity reason and health is the primary goal, but why not aim for the stars?

Thank you everyone for your support.

Hugs,

Babs in TX

334/214/170

6/23/03

BABS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banana :banana :banana :Bunny :Bunny

I think yours is one of my favorite one year updates EVER!!

And it's not because you mentioned my name... :D

I am so very proud of you! And I know how good you feel.

WHOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

***hugs***

***roses***

I heart Babs :D

I am so happy for you - you have been such an inspiration to me all through your first year - you have done so well, I am completely thrilled for you - congratulations!

:banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana

I hope your next year makes all your wishes come true - please please post us all your hints and tips - and PLEASE some photos!

Congratulations again - you're amazing! :knockedou :knockedou :knockedou :knockedou

Babs, Donali and Bright said it all. What a wonderful testimonial! And you have done soooooo well!!! Here's hoping the second year and beyond bring more of the same.

It's true, being banded brings much more into our lives than just a little band of plastic. Bandsters are amazing people, and it's a privilege to be among them! :D

OH BABS!!! i am so happy for you! you have done simply amazing in working your tool.

i would also like to thank you for all the support and great advice you offer. you were answering my questions when i was pre-op!

i cant wait to see where this next year takes you!!! :D :D :D :D

((((((hugs))))))

michelle

Hi Friends and Thank you.

I have been notoriously bad with the whole photo thing. I dont know how to scan and post them and I am reluctant to have my hubby help me. This is my private place to vent and share. So can someone out there tell me what I need to do to post pics? I know I have to scan them, but whats the next step?

Bright: MMM, helpful tips..... DONT EAT! LOL

I met a guy today at my lapband surgeons office who lost 125 pounds in 6 months and went from 310 to 185. The guy really scared me. Apparently he does not eat sometimes for days. I asked him why. He said he wasnt hungry at all, but it sounded like he had bigger issues. I told him that I derived great joy from eating, especially social eating with friends and family and I was not prepared to give that up. He said that he did not go out socially and eat with friends. I felt sorry for him thinking what he was missing. He also mentioned that he slimed daily even on Water. To me, this sounded like he needed an unfill.

Actually my advice is to eat the Protein first. I find that I have very little room for anything else after that. But I do not deprive myself of anything. If I want it, I eat it. Tonight, I had a bowl of Special K low carb Cereal with 2% milk. Yummmm! But I worked out at the gym for 1 hour, so I felt justified. Besides it was only 200 calories and 25 grams of Protein so my body was telling me to eat. At least it wasnt chocolate cake!!!

Anyway, thanks to everyone who responded.

Babs in TX

334/214/180

6/23/03

Great Job Babs! I would love some tips and pictures as well. Best wishes, Teresa

Oops, we were trying to write and post at the same time:)

Hi Again Babs,

I just got a chance to read what you wrote and wanted to comment. I am only 6 1/2 weeks post op, and you are exactly where I hope to be next year at my anniversary. You are phenomenal! I still haven't gotten a fill and am just waiting till I plateau. I thought for sure it would happen this week, but I went in and weighed today and I had dropped another 4 lbs. Now at a 32 lb total loss. I don't feel deprived and only eat what I dish up for myself. Never seconds or pre-meal nibbles. Anyway congratulations!!! You are an inspiration. Teresa

Banded 5/8/04

Dr. Lopez

362/ 330/ ?