Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

does anyone else spit in a cup?????????

Yes, it's 3:30am and I decided it's time to find out if anyone has the same problem. When I feel food or Water getting "stuck" I find that I get relief sooner if I don't swallow my saliva until I feel "clear". This means I look and act like a tobacco-chewer - spitting in a cup. I do this at restaurants, which is getting bothersome to my husband (can't imagine why :) ) I do it at home, right now in fact. I'm feeling a bit loopy right now, but would really like to know if this is common. I've been banded since March 30 - have had several fills and an unfill. I'm trying hard to master the band and am happy with the results... but it can be exhausting. Thank you for any replys.

Yup! I am a big spitter. It is more socially acceptable for me to use an opaque cup and a straw. I use the straw to scrape so there are no spit threads of embarrassment. For me to swallow would be inviting a foamy PB (productive burp)

I try and keep one in the car. :)

Thanks Morsaille, you are my first "reply" to my first post. Glad to keep it light and happy to know I'm not a lone spitter... good night

Hi there,

If I have eaten a little too much and/ or too quickly and get "that feeling" I do find spitting helps, I figure the less of anything- liquid or food, that is weighing down, the less pressure, and therefore the less pain.

Cheers

I did the same thing for a long time, though rather than spit in the cup, I had to leave restaurants to walk around the back to spit up saliva and eventually that little piece of food that I did not chew properly and was clogging me up.

Sometimes the problem is caused by being too tight, but usually it is caused by either improper chewing or improper food selection.

Slow Down!!

Chew, Chew and Chew some more!!

Betty, I can't believe you've never spit, you're an ideal bandster, WTG!

As for the spit cup, chit, my DH does dip, (much to my dismay), but I can out spit him in a heart beat now, although, he flips TFO if I spit in front of him, he thinks that's the most disgusting thing.

I keep those gargle size cups in my car for those emergency spits.

At restaurants, I always order a to go cup with my meal, with a lid, just looks like you're taking a sip, LOL.

I know it all sounds disgusting, but it's my way of life with my band, and NO, I'm not too tight. I probably just don't chew enough or too large of a bite....my bad.

I rarely have this problem after 7:00 pm, but before 2, I can count on it unless it's Soup.

Except for now b/c I have no saline in my band I ALWAYS have a spit cup on hand when I have eaten. I never know when I will need it and for me my food will not go down if i keep swallowing the extra saliva--it HAS to come out. It is gross but my boyfriend has gotten used to me getting a spit cup for my meal to have on hand when I am done.

~Liz~

03/10/06

241/167/160

5'7''

I don't even go to restaurants any more because of this problem, for me it was way to embarrassing! Besides once I get a fill I have to take a bite then go do something like put up dishes or whatever, other wise it gets stuck to easy and when you have to start that spitting I don't know about anyone else but for me it really hurts!!!! I hate it. I am now beginning to believe that is how this band works it makes you very afraid to eat so you don't. I have only felt restriction in the beginning of fills and it's wonderful till it starts to stretch or go away. I still haven't figured it out yet. I have not lost weight in about a month but I certainly KNOW I don't eat nothing compared to before the band! I really can't believe how much I used to eat. Plus I make alot different choices.....GO FIGURE

I never thought of a spit cup, but I head fast as a bullet to the restroom and spit. I've pulled off the side of the road when driving to spit. One time, I didn't pull off fast enough and got choked. I spit all over myself and really made a mess. Yep, I'm a spitter too.

I never thought of a spit cup, but I head fast as a bullet to the restroom and spit. I've pulled off the side of the road when driving to spit. One time, I didn't pull off fast enough and got choked. I spit all over myself and really made a mess. Yep, I'm a spitter too.
I was spitting up in a stall of a restaurant's Men's room and from behind the door I heard, "Next time don't drink so much, if you can't hold your liquor".

That's why I usually go outside. Once while spitting up near a canal behind a restaurant here in Florida, I saw a 'gator about 15 feet away. I could imagine the headlines:

Lap-Band Mortality Rate Rises

And few would bother to actually read past the headlines to the story of the fat old gray haired man (sort of a Santa Claus clone) who was dragged to his death while spitting near a canal behind a restaurant in Florida. :faint:

I am definitely a spitter...although I think I am a bit too tight right now, because I even spit with Water, until about 7 pm. Today I am going to get a little taken out.

I thought I was an abberation and the only one who ever had to spit because it was not going down. Thanks everyone for making my day. It better now hardly ever spit anymore. Learning to chew and not drink with my meal.

Banded in December 2005

lost 30 lbs 1.5 cc

This spitting talk is grossing me out! :)

I just had my second fill yesterday and am a little queasy with my morning meds and coffee. I am trying to sip Water slowly and hoping not to become a "spitter" soon myself!:speechles

No....I've never had to spit....although I only had my second fill today so lets see if that changes anything. :)