Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October 2006 Bandsters!

Morning! I know i must be feeling better since my appetite is back. I tried to make a smoothie with a Protein sample of Mixed berry I had. Yuck. then the painters were here to fix some cracks and I felt weird in my own kitchen. So once they left i figured I'd try a dannon light & fit smoothie. It was Ok but I got distracted and left it and now its warm and funky. figured I'd have some Jello and then just make some Soup early.

Anyone else dreading going back to work on Monday?? =)

I am glad to see I was not the only one to miss LBT.... I feel normal again.. it is amazing hw we get hooked.. I would rather this be my hook than candy or something I should not eat..

I am also glad to see I was not the only one with a yeast thing.. I even had it under my arms.. my family Dr said it was because of a change in my diet so she gave me meds.. and I can finally wear deoderant again.. YEH!!!

I am on mushies now.. and I have had a hard time with Protein in liquid phase.. but I found a high protein Special K cereal.. that I let soak in 1% milk.. and it is a good protein breakfast.. I tried the Quaker Oats Weight control high protein breakfast..and I did not like it.. so I will stick with Special K.

HMMMM, i have a question i want to eat oatmeal yummy but i had a nutrition class yesterday and they told me that i shouldn't eat oatmeal,,mashed potato and a lot of other things. I was so bum becuase i eat the mashed potato and it fills me up until like 10:30 or so and then i drink a cafe con leche. 4 -5 oz of milk 1% with Decaf folgers instant coffee and one splenda. So now i don'tknow what to eat. I also don't know what to have for Breakfast so this special k might work out if you just eat a little of it???? help i don't know what else to eat i had a egg this morning i boiled.It was okay but i need something else. the day b4 i had a shake. and the day b4 that another shake. :hungry:

Hello, I was just banded on 10/31/06 I was doing well with slim fast shakes and broth etc. but...

Hi everyone. I'm 3 weeks out now and weight loss has really slowed.. I think it is because I am able to eat many more things now. I am not worried though because I am eating so much less then before. Just think when I can exercise (about another week) the weight should start coming off again.

I wanted to tell you all about something I found at wal-mart today by the Protein Shakes. Its called K2o and its by kellogs. Its a flavored water that has 5 grams of Protein in each bottle. It actually tastes really good so that is one way to sneak in some extra protein and to get some Water. I am finding I am not having any trouble with the water I've been very thirsty.

Wanna hear something else so great. I am officially off all my diabetes medication. Blood sugars are looking great!! Life is good and I love my band. Hope everyone is doing good.

I am so hungry. I am tired of liquids and have 6 more days. Lord help me.

I was banded the same day as you were...Oct. 26th...and I was only on liquids for two days after...then on sunday I was switched to a "creamed diet"...like puddings and yogurt and creamed Soups and vegetable juices like Clamato juice.< /p>

I blend up anything and everything to the stage of creamy and since we eat so little, they said the calories at this point are not an issue.

My problem is I am not sure what "full" feels like. I never eat more than like a half cup or so of anything at a time. And I always am content so I must be at the right amount for now.

Hang in there julestwu....or maybe call and see if you can not have something in the "creamed category". I was told anything that could be sucked through a straw.. (but don't use a straw)...well, little did they know ... I could suck spagetti through a straw if I put my mind to it. *ha*

I feel great...and have been back to work all week. Hope everyone out there is doing great too!

:clap2:

getnhealth,

you have a point. Why do we all have such different diet plans?? THis is what i just got sent by my dr's online support group.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>

"Questions to determine if you need an Eating Adjustment<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

• Are you eating 60 grams of Protein a day?<o:p></o:p>

• Are you eating 25 grams of Fiber? <o:p></o:p>

• Are you avoiding all liquid calories? <o:p></o:p>

• Soup can be sign of “soft calorie syndrome”<o:p></o:p>
    • Alcohol contains a lot of calories – 7 calories per gram<o:p></o:p>
      • It’s also a stomach irritant<o:p></o:p>

• Fruit juice is just sugar water<o:p></o:p>

• Are you making healthy food choices from a wide variety of foods?<o:p></o:p>

• Are you avoiding soft foods?<o:p></o:p>

• You can’t just eat what’s easy<o:p></o:p>
    • Cheese and Peanut Butter are glorified fats (read the labels)<o:p></o:p>

• Are you drinking six to eight glasses of Water a day between meals?<o:p></o:p>

• Are you eating too much junk?<o:p></o:p>

• Chips, chocolate, nuts, ice cream, Cookies and other highly processed junk foods are too calorie dense to be regular parts of a healthy diet. But don’t avoid them completely to the point where you feel deprived.<o:p></o:p>
    • Stay out of fast food places (alcoholics don’t hang out in bars)<o:p></o:p>

• Are you getting in two servings of Calcium daily?<o:p></o:p>

• Do you always eat the protein first?<o:p></o:p>

• Do you then eat the vegetables or fruits?<o:p></o:p>

• You need three to five servings of vegetables or fruits a day<o:p></o:p>

• Potatoes are NOT a vegetable<o:p></o:p>

• Is your portion size appropriate?<o:p></o:p>

• Meat or fish – three ounces – the size of a deck of cards or a computer mouse<o:p></o:p>
    • Vegetables ½ cup – the size of your fist<o:p></o:p>
    • Starch – if you eat the protein and the vegetables first you don’t need much<o:p></o:p>
    • Avoid: bread, rice, potatoes, pasta<o:p></o:p>

• You might try avoiding artificial sweeteners.<o:p></o:p>

• Some people think that artificial sweeteners stimulate the appetite. They are HUNDREDS of times sweeter than sugar and they teach you to like things too sweet. There is no evidence that people who use them are any thinner than people who don’t<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>Avoid most diet foods<o:p></o:p>

• Real food usually tastes better<o:p></o:p>
    • Real food is more satisfying than low-calorie substitutes<o:p></o:p>
    • When you are only eating a tiny bit the caloric savings are not that great<o:p></o:p>
    • Use a teaspoon of real butter instead of a tablespoon of diet margarine<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>The body has no way to break down artificial fats (trans-fats)<o:p></o:p>

• They may go into permanent storage<o:p></o:p>
    • Some people think liposuction is the only way to remove hydrolyzed fats from the body<o:p></o:p>

Soft Foods – slush and mush phase is that i<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:PersonName w:st="on">t t</st1:PersonName>eaches you tha<st1:PersonName w:st="on">t t</st1:PersonName>hese “soft foods” that can be fairly high in calories go down easily. This is not a good lesson to learn and you should move from the slush and mush to regular food as soon as your stomach is healed. Regular food will stay in the pouch longer and make you feel full and satisfied. The goal of banding is to be able to eat small quantities of real food, no<st1:PersonName w:st="on">t t</st1:PersonName>o switch to a pureed diet."

Posted on dr. oliak online support group.

Hi everyone! Hope everyone is doing well with their healing! Well I had my one month anniversary earlier this week (the 2nd). It's so hard to believe so much time has passed!

I feel great and am happy to report that the scale FINALLY moved for me this morning! I had been stuck at 252 ever since I started mushies two weeks ago. I told myself not to freak about it, and just stick to my 1200 calorie diet. I did, even though I did have a day where I indulged in waaay too much chocolate, and I'm happy that the scale decided to move. Sometimes we need that little extra motivation.

So I am starting my excercise next week. I am going to start off with 3 days a week and try and work up from there. Anyone else already exercising? If so, what are you doing?

Hi All

I started walking on the treadmill on Tues (Halloween). I am starting very slow and will gradually build up time and incline. In the past, I start off maybe doing too much and after a few weeks give it up. Hopefully I can make this into a lifestyle change along with everything else. I do want to start doing some weights when I can. Anyone know how soon after surgery they recommend that? I just saw a diet show that said you CANNOT continue to lose a decent amount of weight until you weight train. Eventually, reducing calories will slowly cause you to lose muscle. I also think that toning may help with the extra skin after all that fat is gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am only a bit over two weeks out and on a regular diet. Yesterday I had an egg for breakfast, some chicken and green Beans for lunch and dinner was one slice of homemade pizza and a salad. My dr. said as long as you can tolerate it, its fine. I have had NO problems with anything I've eaten so far. I feel like I don' even have a band. I am eating much less but that is me, not the band. Anxious about the fill in a month.

Chrispy - any word on a MA get together? I will go to my first support group on 11/21 at the hospital.

Take care, keep up the good work everyone and keep making those good choices!

Halloween bandster and I had a hight Protein slim fast for breakfast with a scrambled egg...anyone know if it's too soon for that. I am holding it down ok...

I am a little over 2 weeks out (Oct.19th), (threebeauties is one of my bandsisters) and I had won ton Soup last night. I still can't seem to eat solid foods, so I have been trying things that aren't that hard to get down. I need to start exercising too, I think I am going to go on a hiking trail near my house today.

I feel great though!

Austin, Texas

Banded 10/19

Lost 20 lbs.

I am 5 days post op and think getting in enough Protein in this 3 week full liquid phase is going to be the biggest challenge..

Today's Straw Diet Menu:

Breakfast: Blended to powder special K Cereal with milk and 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder

Snack: 1 cup Egg Nog

Lunch: Nouriche High Protein Yougart Smoothie

Dinner: Homemade Potato Cream cheese Soup that has been in my crock pot all day. (I will send my serving through the blender to meet straw qualifications).

Snack: sugar free popsicles

Water, Water, Water, Diet Snapple, and Crystal Light

I am feeling MUCH better today and can tell swelling and bruising have gone down some. Hope everyone is doing well!!

Hi bandits! It's my one month Bandiversary! For the most part things have gone well. There is so much to learn and get used to. I can hardly believe a month has gone by.

Chrispygal, I too, am stuck on 235.4. Starting to wonder if the scales really work. LOL Glad to hear yours moved!!!

I seem to have little things going on instead of the scale..NSV's I believe they are called. My clothes are way too loose, my watch is sliding on my arm and my favorite Mavs ball cap is actually loose on my head. That one cracked me up.

My doc is letting me eat regular food. I do that for maybe 1 of my 3 meals of the day. Still not comfortable going full solids yet. My pouch seems fine, my brain just isn't ready. I really don't want to mess anything up.

My only real concern is my fill. I am scheduled for the 16th, but have an appt with my knee Dr on Monday. If he can fit me in for my knee surgery, I am going to hold off on the fill. I have never had any trouble being put under, but I don't want my first problem one to be with a newly tightened band. Last thing I want is to be nauseous and tight. At the same time, I am sad to think of having to put off my first fill. Ah well, I've decided, better safe than sorry.

I am going out to dinner tonight with friends at Joe T Garcia's (mexican food). Wish me luck!!!

Thanks to all my Oct. bandster buddies and the rest of the gang for being there. Best of luck and continued success to everyone! We CAN do this!!!