Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For anyone who is told they have to get an Inferior Vena Cava (IVC) filter inserted before surgery, I would like to tell you it isn't as big a deal as you may think it is. I suffered a lot of anxiety leading up to this procedure because no matter how much research I did, I was still freaked about it. I thought I would share my story with you for anyone who might have to go through this, in hopes that I can ease some of your own anxieties...

Because I have a history of DVT (deep vein thrombosis) in my left calf, my bariatric surgeon required that I have an IVC filter inserted prior to my surgery. The placement will allow it to catch any clots (hopefully there won't be any) that develop in the legs or abdomen as a result of the surgery. My vascular surgeon performed the procedure this past Wednesday at the hospital. I arrived at the hospital at 10:30am, where I only had to wait 15 minutes until they called me up to the cath prep lab. There they had me change into a gown, asked me all the standard questions about meds and such, took my vitals, and inserted my IV. I was then brought up to the cath lab/suite itself where I had an EKG done and more vitals while I waited for my actual procedure to be done. My surgeon was running a bit late so I didn't go into my procedure until almost 2pm (was scheduled for 1pm). They took me into the room, transferred me to the table, and set up all the machines around me. It is a lot of machines and screens and other equipment, but its rather open so I didn't feel claustrophobic at all.

My filter was inserted through the groin. The surgeon numbed the entire area so I felt very little, only some pressure. There was no pain from the injections and no pain during the procedure at all. If anything, maybe a little pressure and it felt a bit weird, but definitely no pain. He made a tiny incision, then fed a catheter through that incision into the vein and then released the filter in the large vein in my abdomen. Once he was done, he pulled the catheter out and a nurse put pressure on the incision until it stopped bleeding and then just put gauze and tape over it; no stitches, glue, or anything else.

Aside from the local anesthetic used in the groin, I received no other anesthesia or sedative. I am told that some doctors will give a sedative through the IV to take the edge off but you are awake during the procedure because they need you to take deep breaths and hold your breath at certain times throughout the procedure.

The procedure itself took only about 30-40 minutes and then I was wheeled back to the cath lab/suite for about an hour, where they monitored my vitals and checked my incision site. They then wheeled me back down to the cath prep lab where I started out and I spent another hour or so being monitored before I was released to go home. All in all, I was at the hospital for a total of 7 hours. The only post-procedure restrictions I had were to try and keep my leg straight and elevated as much as I could for a 24 hour period and I couldn't drive myself home that day. I went back to all normal activity the next day, though.

If anyone has to get this done and has any questions, I'm happy to share anything else you might want to know about my experience or answer any questions I'm able to.

Sorry for the long post but I hope by sharing my story, anyone who has to get this done will feel a little bit less anxious about the whole thing.

Thank you for sharing. I too will have a filter when my day finally arrives. Had no idea how or where it would be. I think they said mine would be inserted day of surgery.

@jerzeygirl Thank you so much for your post. YES I am extremely nervous about my filter. I am more nervous about this than my surgery itself. My vas surgeon said he will go through the groin but he may have to go through the neck. I am juat scared. I have been on youtube looking at videos of procedure but didn't feel amy better about it. After ready your post I do feel alittle about it. Thanks for sharing

I had the same procedure, plus had the filter removed after surgery. The only thing I'd add to Jerzy Girl's experience is that I had conscious sedation (Versed). I remember both procedures, but the Versed made it so I didn't give a darn what the doc was doing. My IVC filter was installed 5 days before surgery and removed 2 weeks after surgery. It's super important to get your Water in after your sleeve if you're going to have your IVC filter removed. Being even a little dehydrated makes it difficult for the nurses to start your IV. :)