Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Much needed Support

Hello, all you awesome Bandsters,

Boy could I use your support, I have been on cloud 9 for last 2 months about getting the band, no one has really commented, Well, today I got my approval which Dr. office tells me will be in next 2 weeks well, friends and family have freaked out on me telling me horror stories, I think they were waiting to see if I was approved well what should have been an awesome day for me I spent crying and upset just wanting the ones I love to support me. I am normally a strong person and not a cry baby but today was hard. Thank God

Hi Nanny,

I am not sure if I can help, I have only been banded for 8 days and I would do it again in a heart beat! I feel revived and excited about my new adventure with the thin person in me trying to get out! This is the first time in years that I now have hope for success, this board has been a major part of that!

I am now on mushies and enjoyed some mashed potato and gravy...it was fantastic!

I was scared, that is a healthy feeling when having any surgery, I found myself weighing the pros and cons of doing this surgery and the pros far outweighed the cons.

Hope this helps!!

Take care!

Baileym

June 14th

:)

Thanks Bailey M for your encoragment, I'm blessed to also have a hubby thats supporting me. I have had no hope for years now I feel as though there's hope and want everone to be happy for me.

Nanny, congrats on your approval!!

I am so sorry that your news was not met with the support you needed.

I find it hard to believe the horror stories they were passing on to you were about the band - undoubtedly they were about the bypass. You will find many people don't realize all WLS is NOT the same.

Hang in there, girl!! :)

Nanny

Thank God, and Bless you. My life has changed so much in the last 10 months. You are heading in the right direction. I'm so Happy for you.

Congratulations! Once your banded, take it slow, people will wonder why your not loosing fast,... Tell them it's the Band way not Gastric by-pass, These are thing to remember, the weight won't come back up if you use your band correctly as a tool, Always think "what foods will go through my band"

2 weeks will be here before you know it.

If you need more support, WE'RE here

In 1976, my mother told me that if I took my infant daughter from Los Angeles to Wisconsin in the dead of winter, it would KILL the baby, no doubt about it.

They really are doing the best they can, and they are trying to deal with their fears. I'll bet most of them have no clue about the band as opposed to the bypass. And, BTW, the baby I took to Wisconsin is pushing 29 and seems to have gotten through the ordeal just fine.

This is why only my husband and best friend know I'm banded! Well, them and all of cyberworld! I sort of ran by weight loss surgery with my sisters and their lack of support and interest was amazing - they all dismissed any wls as "the easy way out" and genuinely behaved as if I was thinking of getting 44 FFF boob implants! I said no more to them about it, continued with my research, and was banded about nine months later.... I file it all under "people just don't understand" - they're not cruel, or unkind or bad people, they just don't get it.

I hope you come here often - I credit this forum with helping me lose weight almost as much as my band - people here get it, and will always support you :)

Nanny, you should remind yourself that most people don't know what they're talking about with regard to WLS. I was terrified to broach the subject with my husband at first, so I just handed him the Inamed book and let him read it. He then came to me with questions. (You can download the patient handbook from www.inamed.com.)

Whenever someone started to express concern or talk about side effects or dangers, I just nodded knowingly and thanked them. It's simply a matter of comparing apples to dinosaurs--they know not whereof they speak.

One thing I've found that works to allay some of this is to use the word "implant" rather than "weight loss surgery." If you say that they seem to get it that it's not the same thing as they've heard of and maybe have a more open mind.

Congratulations on your approval and good luck!!

Hi Nanny,

Most people are completely unaware of what the Lap Band is and like some of the other gals mentioned... they lump it in with the gastric bypass. Know that they love you or they wouldn't make such a fuss... I'm sure they feel they are protecting you. I'm so sorry that they can't see through their own fears to support you but am very glad your hubby is there for you! You also have lots of support here!

(((((hugs)))))

Darcy

CONGRATULATIONS on your ins. approval !! Don't let anyone rain on your parade !! In the next month you will begin an amazing journey that you never thought possible.......don't let uninformed people get in your way. When all is said and done they will agree that you did the best thing for YOU !! I chose to only tell my closest friends that I knew wouldn't have discouraged me (if they did disagree) because they knew the energy I have wasted in my life wishing for a cure to my weight problem. My DH has been incredible and so have my children and in the end those are the ones who worry the most about you and know you best. Enjoy this time and prove the negitive thinkers wrong !!

DR Borao

3/8/04

241/207/170