Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting This Journey....

Hello All -

I am just starting this journey to getting sleeved. I met with my PCP last Thursday, she sent a referral which got approved by my insurance to the bariatric surgery department. I attended a mandatory orientation last night, and the bariatric surgery department contact me this morning and I am scheduled for my 1:1 consultation with the surgeon this Friday! This seems to be moving so very quickly for me. Has anyone else had this experience?

A little about me - I am 34, 5'4" and weigh 270 pounds (BMI of 46) (boo). In 2009 I was diagnosed with Melanoma and have since had 5 surgeries, 9 months of experimental chemo and a host of other medical problems. I have been in a wheelchair several times (for 3-6 weeks at a time), then progressed to crutches, a walker and then a cane. I have also gained a little over 100 pounds in two years due to surgeries, chemo, medications, inability to walk (let alone exercise) etc. But I have made it through... It was actually my oncologist who recommended this surgery to me. I thought I wouldn't be eligible, but he seems to think I can have the gastric sleeve with the fewest complications. At this point we are both looking at quality of life type options, and this might help to save mine. I also have been diagnosed with sleep apena, siatica and degenerative disc diesase all within the past year or so. I have a lot of lower back pain. I also have mild lymphodema from where my lymphnodes were removed due to cancer and my leg and foot swell.

Anyway - those are just some of the reasons I am having this surgery. There seems to be a sense of urgency within my team of doctors so maybe that's why it's moving so fast? I don't know. I have had therapy and nutrition classess, more MRIs and CT scans than I can count, blood work & labs every three weeks and countless other medical visits over the past three years. Maybe I have enough documentation to "push this through"???

I found this website last friday and am reading it religiously. I find all your stories comforting. Thank you for reading.

Really, the biggest holdup is jumping through the insurance hoops, so it really depends on how long it takes to get the approval and the requirements of your particular coverage has. The doctor/hospital could operate that same day if they chose to, so probably once you cross that insurance hurdle they can get you in much quicker than normal.

With everything you've already been through, VSG will probably be a piece of cake. Best wishes and good luck to you.

dwbrown

sorry you've had all these medical problems/surgeries - you are obviously very brave/strong dealing with what you have gone through

happy you found this site - we love to give advice, but first we need to hear the questions you newbies should be asking ;) we're always here to support everyone

you didn't ask, but i just want to mention there are videos that you do from your chair only - i started out with some of those before WLS and continued for awhile - they could be helpful to you also

you have a wise dr. - suggesting the sleeve as the way to go

we on the sleeve board all say how wonderful the sleeve is, we're kindof biased, but the sleeve is the best WLS ;)

The sleeve works as a tool/assisting you to loose weight. Be good to the sleeve, work with it, and it will be good to you

there is alot you have to do also - but i see your strength, so i'm sure you can accomplish the rules that go along with the sleeve

glad you already have been approved by your insurance - thats one big thing you don't have to worry about :)

early congrats on your future with WLS

you will love your sleeve

good luck

:)

Thank you for the very nice replies.

A quick update.... Met with the surgeon on Friday 8/31. He said I was about 75% there already which was nice, but there were still a few things I needed to do before he could schedule my surgery date. I needed a x-ray of my chest, some blood work and schedule at least one appt. with a nutritionist, and have a psch/mental health eval done. Since yesterday was a holiday, I had to wait until this morning, but I have everything scheduled for this week and next week. Also my doctor called this morning and asked me to get a ultrasound. I was able to schedule that too.

Whew!

The pre-op diet consists of 7 day liquid Protein fast, which doesn't seem so bad. I have certainly done those in the past, so I don't think I will have too hard a time with that.

Keep on keeping on.....