Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

i had lapband surgery in 2008. i went from 213 pounds to my lowest 114 pounds. i've always had problems with my band (i.e. acid reflux, vomitting, binging/purging on purpose). i did see a therapist about the binging and purging and i no longer do it BUT i think that is why my band slipped. when i was at my lowest weight i looked anorexic... old... haggard... but i couldn't gain weight no matter what i did so i wen to get a slight unfill of my band so i could eat more. that's when i found out about the slip.

i'm self pay and STILL paying for it. my choices are remove the band and go on with my life, remove the band and get rebanded and take the big risk of it slipping again or remove the band and revise to the sleeve. luckily i'm not in any pain from the slip so i'm able to take my time and make a decision.

since i'm self pay i need to go to Mexico. any suggestions would be appreciated.

i worry about life after the sleeve. i'm already below my goal weight and i'll lose even MORE weight after the surgery since i'll be on liquids for a long time but i don't think i can remain this thin without help.

post-38355-13813659732229_thumb.jpg

post-38355-13813659732425_thumb.jpg

I haven't had a lapband, but I know that from reading other posts sometimes the doctors will have you wait a while between removing the band and having the sleeve. Maybe this time in between will let you reevaluate how you are doing and what would be the best decision for you. I'm not sure what advice exactly to give you, but I do agree that at this point it definitely doesn't seem like you want to lose any more weight, which could happen with the sleeve. It sounds like you have been through a lot, are you still currently seeing a therapist? I know that you said you no longer binge/purge, but if you get the sleeve, you could seriously injure yourself if you fall back into that place. I am not saying you will, but maybe having some extra support and a doctor's point of view on whether you are ready.

It sounds like either way you need to have the band removed, and you can always decide after giving yourself some time. I know you say you don't think you can remain that low on weight without help, but maybe you will end up surprising yourself. If not, at least you gave your body time to heal from getting the band out and really see where you are at afterward mentally and physically.

I hope that no matter what you decide, that it works well out for you.

Sorry in advance if this sound rude but if this is the size u are in the last picture with the bathing suit then any doctor that does any wls on you should be punished. U are a very thin, great size! If you have a problem with binging and purging then you should really seek some therapy and a good nutritionist to help u maintain your weight. Again I apologize if this sounds rude.

no offense taken, valdosta. not one surgeon has said they wouldn't reband me or revise to the sleeve because when you see the before picture, i obviously need help keeping the weight off. yes, i will most likely get very underweight the first month after surgery since i won't be allowed to eat, but i'm confident i'll be able to get back up to my current weight of 125 and hopefully, someday, 140 which is when i looked my best.

lzuri, since i'm self pay, i have to have both surgeries done at one time for financial reasons. otherwise it will cost me $4000 to remove the band and another $4500 for a revision. if i have them done at the same time i'll only be charged $4500. no, i no longer see my therapist, not because i think i'm "cured" but she was forcing me into an eating disorder clinic and i don't think i need that. i do see a psychiatrist for medications and we talk.

since i've had all the Fluid taken out of my band, i haven't purged at all. i feel good. if i happen to start again, i have no problems going back into therapy. believe me, i have my entire family watching everything i do to the point where my mom or sister will ask me to get on the scale to make sure i weigh what i say i weigh.

i have nothing to hide...

i just know i CANNOT gain that much weight back and i don't know if i have the self control to do it alone. i'd rather be safe than sorry.

I personally think that a sleeve revision would be your best bet. I also think with a little creativity you could keep from losing much weight even through the healing process. There are very high calorie shakes on the market that were designed for people tha have a problem gaining. Boost VHC is an 8 oz shake tha has 540 calories. You could incorporate these into your full liquid phase to seize further weight loss

I only hope for your sake that you don't have signifigant scar tissue from the band, most band revisions I hear of require a healing period between removal & revision. There are the fortunate few that can be revised in one surgery, but they seem to be the minority.

I was a band to sleeve revision in one surgery and had no problems. I did not have success with the band at all, but am finding it with the sleeve. I agree with OTR in getting a revision. I think most of us have been able to lose weight, it's the keeping it off that has been the true challenge. Good luck with your decision.

how was the recovery different between getting banded and getting sleeved? do you have new scars or did they start with "fresh" skin?

I would like to ask if you think your purging was because of the band? I too threw up alot with the band...probably the only reason I lost weight. But I don't think I had an eating disorder. I ate and threw up because of how uncomfortable I was after eating most meals. Yes...sometimes I knew I should stop eating, but never felt full, never felt satisfied and when I did-the food had to come out. I think there is such a thing as band-induced bulimia. Since I had my band out in April I have not once thrown up (unless I was sick). I am hoping to revise to a sleeve...just taking my time making my decision. I meet with the therapist next month for my psych evaluation. I'm just scared of the finality of having half of my stomach removed. But--since my issues started (pouch dilation), I have gained 50 pounds in the last year and that fact is outweighing any fear I have now. So I think you should evaluate the reasons behind your bulimic issues. I'm sharing my insight from life on the other side when you have the band out, as someone who also threw up regularly. Not many people knew how often I did (probably except my hubby and he probably didn't really know). Personally I know from experience that the weight you lose does not stay off and your metabolism is basically **** so once the band is out it is extremely hard to keep the weight off. Since waiting and seeing how you do is really not an option, maybe you can ask for a larger sleeve? Sorry I'm not more help, I just know I gained 10 pounds with my dilated pouch, 10 pounds with my unfill, and 30 since my band was taken out. Ugh... Best wishes with your decision.

Crystal

thank you, crystal. you might be right about the band induced bulimia. i never threw up before i was banded and haven't felt the need to throw up since i've had all the Fluid removed from my band. i do know i always had a hard time knowing when to stop eating. my stomach told me to stop but my brain told me to keep eating. i usually listened to my brain. i weighed 145 consistantly for 2 years and then in December my weight started dropping. i was down to 114 which was not healthy for me but i couldn't gain weight no matter what i tried which is why i went back to my surgeon the beginning of August to find out my band had slipped... which could be why i made myself throw up too. since having all the Fluid removed i'm back up to 125 pounds but really should be about 140. my surgeon said i have about 3-6 months to make up my mind...

i too am worried about half my stomach being removed. it's so... final but i was told that getting rebanded left a very high risk of slipping again. i know if i just have it removed i'll gain the weight back. there is no question about it.

now i just have to find a surgeon in Mexico that i trust since i'm self pay!

how was the recovery different between getting banded and getting sleeved? do you have new scars or did they start with "fresh" skin?

They used the same scars so I'm sure there was scar tissue, but I didn't think the pain of this surgery was any worse than getting the band in and gall bladder out at the same time. I have 1 new one where the drain was put in, but other than that they are all the same ones I had.