Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One Year Fast Approaching!

Hi fellow sleevers. I have not posted in awhile but come back to this life-saving forum and read often. I had my surgery on Oct 3, 2011 just 3 weeks shy of my 68th birthday (best gift ever to myself). I have lost 90 lbs and my health reports are great now, but I still fall in the BMI of 35 (still obese, started at 48). Even though I watch carbs, sugar, get Protein and Water and exercise in, I vary betwen 212 and 216. I was hoping to have lost 100 lbs by the one year date. My question is has anyone here continued to lose after the one year mark and do you have any suggestions as to how I might kick start my loss? I so apreciate all of your suport and in put.

Wow, I think you are doing great! I have been reading postings and yes, people continue to lose (I am pre-surgery, so personally, I cannot give you my experience) beyond the 1 year and even 2 year mark.

The only thought I have that might help you, did you keep a food journal? If so, compare what you ate for the first 6 months to what you have eaten for the last 5 months. Looking at your ticker, it looks like maybe you have gotten lax in the last 5 months or perhaps your physique is catching up with the scale -- like clothes are hanging or fitting differently.

But, really - go easy on yourself, you are near the goal you set (you still have a month to go) and you have better weight loss than some 1/2 your age. To me you are an inspiration!

Thank you for those kind words. Sometimes a pat on the back like that helps you see things more clearly and motivates you to keep trying. I use "my fitness pal" to track my food, exercise, nutrient count etc. But you are right I probably have not been as diligent as in the first 5 months. I have dropped a couple of sizes but nothing like some of the 5+ sizes I have read about here. The general theory of one size loss for every 10 down just does not work for me. One Dr said my bones were probably 1/2 of my weight. LOL. I will keep checking back here to see if there is anything else I might pay attention to. I know you will have equal or better success! Enjoy the journey!

90 pounds - that's awesome! I am one of those people who drops sizes slower too, always have been when I try and lose weight. They do eventually drop though. There are a number of posters who have been on here and are a few years out that have said they lost over longer than a year. Cheri is one of them I think, I always enjoy reading her posts, she's quite an inspiration. If you want to contact her, her username is clk.

Don't give up! You can make it the rest of the way. How is your restriction? Are you still measuring your portions? Sometimes when I get off track eating if I go back to the basics I can get on the right course again. Are you exercising? Getting in all your Protein? I really do believe that you could pick right back up here and hit the end of the rainbow in your ticker. If you need any support/an ear to rant to (I know that helps me when I'm having a hard time), feel free to message me. I'm always happy to have new buddies.

Izuri, Thank you for the info and reminders. It is slow going but I am trying to stay the course. Good luck to yo on your journey as well.