Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To Band ... or not to Band.

Hi all,

I am looking at lap banding and I have an appointment with my doctor in 2 weeks. I am still trying to decide whether I want to go ahead with the procedure. I have approx 100kg (220 pounds) to loose. And am just not sure what to do.

Some days I wish the appointment would get here and really want the Lap Band ... other days I am quite scared of the Op and not sure I want to go through with it.

Does anyone know of any really good websites where they have all the statistics on success rates etc on Banding.

I so want my life back .... but just not sure how to do it!!!!

I don't know of any reliable sources on stats for the band, sorry.

I didn't have quite 100kg to lose (I had 70kg to lose, and have ended up losing 76kg) But the band worked well for me. I know that much.

Good luck with your appointment. If you have any questions, ask away. We are all here for you!

I also had about 220lbs to lose before surgery. I was scared too (most of us were) but it turned out fine. The surgery itself wasn't a big deal. I was in and out of the hospital within a few hours. By that afternoon I was home walking around with a bit of a sore tummy and not much else to complain about!

You're right, this is a huge life changing decision. But as someone who had a ton to lose as well, I can say that I am so happy I didn't do something more extreme like GB or something because my success has been comparable with my band versus the other options. I've lost over 100 pounds so far and I don't have plans for stopping.

So yes, if you're prepared to work at it then I think it will help you too. Once you get some weight off you'll see your life improving. There are tons of NSV (non scale victories) mentioned on this site that will inspire you and help you see how people are getting their lives back. Very motivating!

Good luck with the appointment and let us know what you decide.

Your surgeon should also provide you with statistics at your initial appointment. He should discuss all the risks and in what % of patients they occur. Do also try to research the risks of obesity. That will help you get a balanced picture.

Good luck in your decision.

I agree with want2lose. It's alot more dangerous to remain obese. Good luck, I know it's a tough decision, I've done it twice. But I don't regret it.

If you are self pay, make sure that you understand ALL of the charges involved. My dr was vague when explaining these extras and now I have much more than the 16 thou he quoted me... I did know that there would be extra fees for the anesthesiologist and the xrays, but with out ever selfpaying for anything, I didn't realize the costs!

Anesthesiology= $1000

Imaging= $200

ALL ADJUSTMENTS (flouroscope, surgeon's fee excluded) $800

*PRETESTS* $700

I am so very glad I did it, but I am now on the austerity program.

The band is still a relatively new procedure in the US, so there are not a lot of long-term statistics available yet. Talk to your doctor about your concerns. Have you attended a seminar yet?

Personally, I love my band. I knew I had to do something. I was borderline diabetic and there is a history of diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, etc. in my family. I determined the risks of not having the surgery far outweighed any risks of having it. The surgery itself was a breeze. And, the wonderful thing about the band is, it is completely reversible. However, I could not imagine ever wanting to have mine taken out.

Have you checked out Inamed's site? They have a lot of good information there as well, including some statistics.

http://www.lapband.com/lapband/portal.do

good luck on your journey. oh and I am reading this book by Ariel Ortiz Lagardere titled Lap-Band For Life: the complete patient guide to success with the Lap-band. So far it has been very informative. It talks about the risks and how much safer it is to the other surgeries. I can't stop thinking about it.

Samantha

I am waiting for approval on Lap Band from Insurance and am sure it is what I need. Its still just a tool and something to help me lose the weight that I need to lose to be healthy.

Good Luck as I think it is very important that you are very sure its the road you want to take.

I think that you should become very familar with all the weight loss surgeries to decide which one will be best for you.... I have had the lapband and now I have the Verticle Gastric Sleeve..... If you want to talk with me before you set out for this surgery... I will be glad to share my experience...:D

Best wishes in your journey....:clap2:

Patti

bandinfo@verizon.net

Hi All ...

Thanks for your help ... just thought I would post a note to say that I went to the doctors today ... start Optifast today (pre-op diet) and get banded on the 11th October. My head is spinning ... I thought it would at least be a month or two away. But I am glad it is this soon ... so I have less time to dwell on it.