Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So A $3.50 "split Fee" In Our Favorite Restaurant

So we visited our favorite Italian restaurant, the portions are huge and we either split an entree or each eat 1/3 to 1/2 an entree and take the rest home. This time we decided to split one as we were going somewhere else afterwards and didn't want to leave the left overs in the car for a few hours.

When the bill arrived there was a $3.50 "split fee" on the bill. They didn't even split the meal, the brought it on a single plate and didn't even bring an extra plate for me, I ended up eating off a bread plate.

We ordered a $13 entree, one beverage (the wife drinks water) and a dessert, the bill came to $23, which I think is about right for a mediocre family restaurant. I decided not to leave a tip as the $3.50 "split fee" would have to do.

Is this the new norm in the USA? Has anyone else experienced this? I doubt we will ever return, we've been going to this place since it opened and feel they are just getting unreasonable. So if I dine alone am I going to be charged a "singles fee"? Did it really make that much of a difference that another person was sitting there and we shared an entree? Am I being unreasonable?

It is simply, they got greedy and now will or should cost them your patronage. The way I see it that $3.00 just cost them hundreds of future dollars. Maybe I am ole school but I tip accordingly when they deserve it but today's generation expects to be rewarded for poor or nonexistent service today.

I have never seen that in a restaurant and have split plenty of meals. I would be irritated. I think if I was a regular I would politely ask my waiter about it or see if they have comment cards to fill out. I am surprised they didn't even bring you an extra plate or let you know ahead of time that there's a charge to split a meal now.

I used to work at a restaurant that charged a "plate fee" when someone split a meal. All the waitresses hated it. It pretty much guaranteed that we didn't get a tip. You really should have tipped the waitress. Most likely they didn't get any of the split fee . And if we didn't charge it and the manager found out we would have been fired. Not only that most of the times waitresses are paid minimum wage for tipped employees, which is much less than tipped employees. When the I was working tables the minimum wage was $5.25 but the minimum wage for tipped employees was $2.01.

That is ridiculous! So if you can't eat it all and get a take out container for the other half, are they going to charge a "split fee" as well?? I would at least complain and say that they have lost a loyal customer so that they realize the impact that their choice is having on business.

That sucks... I know when we go to byob restaurant some of them charge a corkage fee. I hate when the do that, I would be even more pissed about the plate fee.

Usually with the split fee you get an extra salad and they split the dish for you on two separate plates. This was an employee being lazy or forgetful or maybe both

Sent from my iPhone using VST

That is outrageous! And normally, I would ask you not to blame the wait staff...however, in this instance, it seems justified. They didn't have to push the split button. That is wrong ! I think I would have to pass on going to that place again.

Usually with the split fee you get an extra salad and they split the dish for you on two separate plates. This was an employee being lazy or forgetful or maybe both

Maybe, we didn't split it for them or bring an extra salad but we did bring an extra plate and silverware. The owner felt that justified the plate charge - but our's was just $2.00.

Split fees are actually quite common. Not all restaurants do it, but most do here in NYC. I haven't tested it yet since I'm only 6 weeks out and I'm trying to avoid restaurants.

It happens. But I agree that if they r going to charge a split fee they should at least split it for u and bring out two plates. That was crappy service.

Ya, for $3.50, the food should have been put on both plates AND dressed!! Otherwise you're paying for the waitress to set one plate of food on the table. And to not even bring the extra plate??? LAME. Talk about getting served the cold shoulder!

I can't object to a restaurant charging a "split fee" as most of what you are paying for when you go is he atmosphere & the experience, not to mention the convenience. You did get these. However as others have stated there should have been something provided for this fee & the fee should have been listed on the menu or clearly articulated.

As far as not tipping the waitstaff, I don't feel it's appropriate to punish your server for the reasuraunts policies. They provided you a service, and in return you picked their pocket. I have been guilty of doing this as a heated rash decision, but after calming down I felt it was my responsibility to return & make it right.

The sad part of it for the server...they paid taxes based on your meal. When I was a server we had to claim a minimum of 10 percent of our sales for taxes.

Well a full gamut of responses! It's kind of a mixed bag for us and I doubt we'll be back.

The restaurant is a run of the mill family restaurant in a strip mall, bad parking and the "decor" is kind of hokey home made looking artificial stone and cheap wood. It's OK but not the greatest. The variety of food is what we have always liked, they have stuff that other places just don't have, it's a Naplese Intalian restaurant. The restaurant is, to put it bluntly mediocre to say the best abouit it. A few people we've recommended it to said they would not return becasue it just wasn't "that good" and prices in this rural area a tad on the high side. We've previously had good food and good service, maybe we're just lucky.

The service was slightly less than aweful, the waitress gruff and impatient and she only took the order and gave us the bill, someone else brought the food and refilled my drink. As I stated it was served sans an extra plate and in addition NO salad at all, we skipped it even though it was included with the entree price. The booth we sat at smelled of sour milk - some previous patron must of spilled some, not bad enough to complain about but we noticed it when we sat down and soon didn't notice it. We're both blue haired and were eating at 5pm, only 3 or 4 booths out of 20+ were filled.

I think the management should consider that if they're going to stick people with a $3.50 split fee and provide crappy service that the chances of a tip and return patronage are slim to none. I posted this just to see if perhaps it ws ME that was a little off, looks like I wasn't.