Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Want2lose where are you? anyone offer post op experience

I am having surgery 1 week from today and I was just thinking how are you doing? Have you weighed yourself yet? How is your pain? Are you having any nausea? Are you feeling hungery?

Anyone can tell me your post op experience if you want I just know want2lose is still a fresh post op and thought she could give me insight as to what to expect next week.

:puke: :guess

Like I said I have exactly 1 week and am excited but wicked nervouse. I have had a hard time eatting for the past week and I think it is nerves. I know next Friday will be here sooner then I expect. At this time my sugery is scheduled for 9am but that may change.

I went to my pre op visit at the day surgery unit at the hospital. The did the pre op testing like EKG, had me sign papers and re did a urine test because mine from last week showed I have a Urinary track infection. I had a gynocological procedure and that urine test was part of that last week. They did not treat me because they thought it might have been a contaminated sample. So they had me do another test and the new test also showed I have an UTI so they started me on an antibiotic so it will be gone by next week. Day Surgery said that the Dr might have cancled my appointment if I did have an untreated UTI but now I should be Good to Go!!!:bolt:

Anyways I thought maybe everyone could share a story about their experience and that way it might help me pass time reading them before next week.

:D

I had my band placed on 9/11. It was a good surgery and I stayed in hospital 1 and 1/2 days. Care was so so. I think they are so understaffed. I had moderate pain. They did not schedule me, I had to ask for meds which I found odd. I learned to call early. I had Iv so had to ask to pee. Nothing but the IV and a few ice chips until they gave me a barium swallow. I have to say by far that was the grossest thing I have ever done. I had a few bouts of nausua before this and some after. They gave me a shot so it took it away.

Dr gave me anti nausua meds to take home. I have not had to use them. This is day 5 and I feel pretty good. All I have had to use for pain is liquid tylenol extra strength and I use the pm version first couple of nights. I do not like vicatin or percaset, they make me loopy. I had a wicked headache in hospital but this was from no coffee!! I walked right away and have walked even if around house every day. This will help with the trapped gas. gas-x melts have helped alot with this. All in all it has not been bad, no regrets.

I went to Walmart with my daughter yesterday and was discouraged that none of my pants fit!! My belly is still swollen. I have another week off from work so I hope it goes down!!! Good luck with your band.

Hi there

Go read the September bandsters thread, there is a lot of post-op comments and tips and tricks!

Good luck!

Sherry

Here I am. Today I am doing really well and even put on real clothes (ie no sweat pants).

I am down 4 lbs since Tuesday, and 7lbs since Sunday. Two days after surgery I was up 1/2 lb, which I assume was due to swelling / bloat.

The 1st day after surgery I took hydrocodone for pain every 6 hrs. Day 2 I took it 1st thing in the morning, then switched to liquid x-strength tylenol. Day 3 I didn't take anything, and nothing so far today.

Friday I got to take my bandages off, and found a small allergic reaction to the tape, which is itcy. I'm using benedryl cream for that.

For the first two days I took a LOT of gas x strips. I think I had about 6 the first day post op, and 4 the second day. They are peppermint flavored, and surprisingly very good. I think they helped a lot reducing my gas pains.

It was raining the first two days home, so I did a lot of walking around the house. I never had any problems going up & down stairs. Rolling over in bed was definitely a struggle for the first 2 days. But last night I even slept part of the night on my tummy :puke: .

I have been eating about 400 calories / day. I should have more Protein, but havent wanted to drink thick shakes. I have been using unflavored Protein with OJ and strawberries, which is quite tasty. lunch and dinner have been broth. I have a Jello cup at some point, and lots of Water. I'm not particularly hungry, but old habits die hard. I almost started munching on a pretzel the my daughter left out, just because it looked good. Fortunately I caught myself, lol.

I do have a fairly large lump above my large incision. Probably the size of an orange. I called my Dr. about it yesterday and he thinks it may be a hematoma (pooled blood) and didn't seem to be too concerned. I go in Monday for my post op check up so he will check it then. It does seem to be getting smaller which is good.

I was nauseous and dry heaving about an hour after surgery, but nothing since then. My tummy does gurgle and rumble a lot, but it's kind of funny.

I was driving 48 hrs after surgery with no problem. I chose not to tell my DD's (7&11) about my surgery. I told them I had Dr. appointments on Tuesday and they would be giving me medicine that would make me tired for a few days. I really don't think they have noticed anything really different. I went to bed about 6:30 Tue when I came home from the hospital, but I told them I would be tired. I was walking pretty slow on Wed, but I don't think they noticed. My husband works odd hours and we don't really get the chance to sit down for family dinner more then a couple times / week. My oldest is a vegetarian, so we always have many meal choices for dinner. I'm waiting for one of them to ask why I keep eating Soup for dinner, but they haven't yet.

Shell,

That is pretty much it. Let me know if you have other questions. This last week will fly by for you. I'm glad all your tests are OK now. Good luck!

In all honesty, I had a horrible post-op experience, and I'm only telling you that so that you can expect the worse!! I survived it though!! I was banded on Aug. 24, and I really didn't have much pain from the incisions, and the gas was moderate. Walking and the heating pad really helps. I was just SO SO very hungry. Frozen Slim-Fast eaten slowly with a spoon really helps with the hunger. But I went back to work way too early (4 days after surgery), and I would get terribly nauseated and dry heave like nobody's business. I was so weak and felt horrible. I really regretted having the surgery. BUT now I'm doing GREAT! If you have a hard time, just keep in mind that you will get through it. Those first 2 weeks went by soooo slowly for me. The only issue I have now is my protruding port. The nurse said that the more fat I lose behind the port, the less it'll show. Now I'm looking forward to my first fill in a couple weeks. I hope you do GREAT. Most people do. I just wish I had expected the WORSE!! GOOD LUCK!!!!

Okay,

I had this done on 7/10/06 so not that long ago. I didn't use any pain medicine. I didn't have any shoulder pain, but my port area was sore. I was up walking as soon as I got to my room and walked every hour. I had no nausea and they wrote me scripts for loritab and that phergran or however you spell it but hadn't had to use it. As I've said before, by day 4 I was doing everything I had ever done and day 10 we went riding 4 wheelers all day long with friends and when we ride we ride horrible trails that are steep and hilly and usually dangerous.

My doctor gave me 2 valiums to take one day before surgery and one morning of surgery because I was nervous but If I had known then how easy and simple it was I would not have wasted my time being scared, so don't worry, everything will be fine. I lost about 30 pounds the first month or 6 weeks or so, and now I've lost real close to 40 pounds and it's been 2 months.

My incisions healed up wonderfully and I just so far haven't had any problems. Good luck and we'll be praying for you and thinking about you as you have this done. Keep us informed on how your doing.

Yesterday was day 5 post op for me. I drove myself to Walmart just to get out and pick up a few items. I did not have too much pain but in afternoon the "dreaded" gas pains in sholders and neck came along. My daughter and grandaughter (7 months old and light of my life!!) came over and we walked a 1/2 mile slowly. Walking definately with gas-x strips helped. I actually slept on my side last night!!!! I feel good today and am taking it really slow. I have this week off from work still. I am so glad I took 2 full weeks. My stomach bloating is going down thank God!!! I was a bit unclear what I would be wearing to work. I have an office job but I wore some regular capris yesteday with the button kind of undone and a shirt down over it. I could button them but did not want to bother my port area.