Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

getting banded 10/02/06

I will joining the ranks soon. I have been reading posts on this site for about 2 weeks now and i have to say it has helped me understand some things.

I am nervous and excited at the same time.

but.....I"M READY!!!!!!

Hi and welcome to LBT! I remember what an exciting time it was during the pre-band stage. I couldn't wait for my date to get here.

Anyways, I am glad you found us. Please don't be afraid to ask questions. We are here to support and help one another.

i am being banded in chicago, Dr. Rispanti.

i am excited and nervous at the same time. i have to block out some of the negative comments i read because the make doubtful sometimes. i feel i need this now and not later because i am 40 and i have decided that i dont want age anymore as an overweight woman.

thank you all for the comments and encouragement, it really helps.

Beginning to wish I'd never had it done...hope you have better luck. Aftercare was wonderful for about the first month, had a fill here in Texas after 6 weeks, had no restriction, went back, got another fill, had WAY too much restriction. Couldn't eat anything heavier than yogurt and you just can't live on that. Called the doctor to tell him, never got a call back even after several calls. (Dr. Maese in Ferris, TX) Finally had a friend take some of the fill out, we're nurses so know how to do it and i was desperate....a person can't survive or have any energy on just liquids, I had to be able to eat or end up in the hospital after weeks of no food and doctors office not calling me back. You finally do what you have to do. Was back in Mexico later that summer so thought the dr. that did my band would be competent in giving me a good fill after telling him that 2.5 cc's was so tight I couldn't eat,he gave me 3.5 cc.......(what the heck was up with THAT????) I could barely swallow my own saliva. I called and called and called from San Diego after I got back to my hotel and realized how bad it was. Kept getting the run around from the patient coordinator Norma...gave me the doctors "cell phone" number and I could NEVER get it to go through, would call her back and she'd give me the number of the nutritionist who she had already told me the previous day was out ill. Of course he was STILL ill and would only refer me back to her. They knew the name and number of my hotel and knew I'd still be there for a couple of days as well as knew I could barely swallow but no one called even after I had let them know the problems I was having. AFter two days of this and the misery of everything I tried to drink just foaming back up in my mouth I finally dragged my ass back to Texas....got home at 0530, got a syringe and needle out of my car (I'm a home health nurse) took the darn fill OUT myself and said to hell with doctors, I am DONE!!!!!! this whole thing has been a nightmare...I was happy at the VERY first but you need follow up for much more than the first month or so...this is a life time committment and I feel I was hung out to dry. No care here in the US because I got it done in Mexico and no care from Mexico cuz they got my money and that gringo is back home in Texas so to hell with HER!!!! May not be the way it is but thats the way it looks to ME!!!!! and I believe anyone in my shoes would feel the same way. I'm normally a positive person as anyone will see that has read my few previous posts. However I think everyone should see both sides of it and mine has not been good. I called the doctor and staff in Tijuana desperately for 2 days and got no help. I had my little girl with me and was terrified of what would happen if I got so dehydrated before I made it home and could take the fill out myself and couldn't care for her. I made a few calls around San Diego and everyone said they had never even heard of a lap band which surprised me since they are doing them every day just across the border. i just thanked GOD I'm a nurse and could remedy the problem myself because Had I not been I don't know what would have happened to me. Just do your research and make sure you have good and caring aftercare. I've got this lap band in me that I paid out of pocket for and no one to take care of me. I just have very little fill and hope and pray that nothing goes wrong because I'm "hung out to dry and flapping in the wind".....EVERYONE else on these posts seems to be so happy and thrilled with their bands and totally pleased with the whole experience......wish I could say the same!! Again best of luck!! and do your homework!

i am being banded in chicago, Dr. Rispanti.

i am excited and nervous at the same time. i have to block out some of the negative comments i read because the make doubtful sometimes. i feel i need this now and not later because i am 40 and i have decided that i dont want age anymore as an overweight woman.

thank you all for the comments and encouragement, it really helps.

don't totally block out the negative comments....realize that they have vailidity too...I only WISH I had paid more attention to ALL the comments, had I done that I would have made a much more informed decision than just considering all the positive and deluding myself into believing that this would be the great experience it was for so many. Always consider that the negative comments (just like the positive) are just as much learning experiences as the positive ones.

So sorry Coogie that you are having a bad time and Thank God you are a nurse so you are able to help yourself! With everything in life, there is good and bad and we do have to go into this with our eyes wide open and for me the more I read the more I learn and I am hoping to learn as much as possible before I go in. I am sure I will have problems, hoping not too, and I am sure that there isn't any problems that have not been discussed on here and I will know how to deal with it. Please let us all know how you are doing.

So sorry Coogie that you are having a bad time and Thank God you are a nurse so you are able to help yourself! With everything in life, there is good and bad and we do have to go into this with our eyes wide open and for me the more I read the more I learn and I am hoping to learn as much as possible before I go in. I am sure I will have problems, hoping not too, and I am sure that there isn't any problems that have not been discussed on here and I will know how to deal with it. Please let us all know how you are doing.

thanks so much for the kinds words! I try to look on the bright side of things and even though I have not found support medically out there, the band is in there and even without an adequate fill I am not able to eat anywhere near the portions I was. I have no restriction but just the fact that my "usable" stomach portion is smaller makes a huge difference. I will just work with this and move on from here. I have read about people that never get a fill and still lose weight. Just make sure you have good LONG TERM (more than just in the immediate post op phase) medical support and I'm sure you'll do fine! Good luck!