Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confused And A Little Concerened

I was sleeved on the 9th of Aug and Ive lost about 15lbs so far. My husband was sleeved 14 months before me and he has lost about 130lbs to date. He is very supportive and we did use the same dr for the surgery. My concern is that the meal plans that he received when he had his surgery and the plans that I recieved when I had mine vary greatly. For example my plan goes straight from full liquids(yogurt, puddings, strained Soups, ect) to what they are referring to as soft foods (tuna, lunch meats, oatmeal, mashed potatoes ect) and he is shocked that I would be able to eat that because I remember more of a mushy pureed transiotion phase in there when he was going through it. Also there has been some discussion in the house that if I want to "cut corners" I wont lose as much as him. I know he doesnt mean it the way he is saying it but I feel like somehow Im cheating if I eat the way Im allowed to eat per the diet recommendations.

Has anyone else went through this? Im not gonna lie, I severely miss being able to chew and being able to take something that resembles a normal lunch would make for way less questions when I go back to work.

I went from liquids (2wks) into mash tatters (3rd wk)to fish, tuna 4th wk.

However i tried ref Beans on 3rd wk but my stomach cldnt handle it. Your dr may hv realised tht he didnt hv to be tht extreme. As you hv prob seen on here most dr vary in wht they want their pt to do. My dr ws flexible & told me tht if my stomach cld handle it, i cld do it. I cldnt but did try diff things.

I followed the Kaiser Fremont Bariatric program, which went to soft foods at two weeks, as long as your 2 week surgeon appt. went well, which mine did. I really didn't eat foods that weren't Protein dense, such as oatmeal or mashed potatoes, till much later in the process.

I never stalled and have been maintaining since March, so I am quite happy with the food program I followed!

Here's at typical day for me at 2 weeks past surgery:

6:00 a.m: 1 cup Water

7:30 a.m: 1/2 cup fat free plain greek yogurt mixed with splenda (12 g. protein)

8:30 a.m. 1 cup Water

9:30 a.m. 1 cup water

10:30 a.m. 1 oz. lowfat cheese stick (7 g. protein)

12:00 noon: 2 oz. turkey lunchmeat (10 g. protein)

2:30 p.m: 1 cup water

4:30 p.m: 1 oz. shrimp, 1 oz. scallops ( 10 g. protein)

6:30 p.m: 1 cup water

8:30 p.m: Protein Drink with water and soymilk (27 g. protein)

Best wishes on your journey,

Lynda

Ok thanks so much for the reassurance. It is just difficult to merge what he was told with what I was told when its the same Dr. What you both have mentioned does make much more sense than the 2-4 week foods that my Dr listed on the sample menu. I am just going to take it slow and do what I know is right for me.

I followed the Kaiser Fremont Bariatric program, which went to soft foods at two weeks, as long as your 2 week surgeon appt. went well, which mine did. I really didn't eat foods that weren't Protein dense, such as oatmeal or mashed potatoes, till much later in the process.

I never stalled and have been maintaining since March, so I am quite happy with the food program I followed!

Here's at typical day for me at 2 weeks past surgery:

6:00 a.m: 1 cup Water

7:30 a.m: 1/2 cup fat free plain greek yogurt mixed with splenda (12 g. protein)

8:30 a.m. 1 cup Water

9:30 a.m. 1 cup water

10:30 a.m. 1 oz. lowfat cheese stick (7 g. protein)

12:00 noon: 2 oz. turkey lunchmeat (10 g. protein)

2:30 p.m: 1 cup water

4:30 p.m: 1 oz. shrimp, 1 oz. scallops ( 10 g. protein)

6:30 p.m: 1 cup water

8:30 p.m: Protein Drink with water and soymilk (27 g. protein)

Best wishes on your journey,

Lynda

don't forget about skim milk. i started and ended each day with a cup, 8 grams of Protein each cup. I still put the glass glasses in the freezer so the milk will be COLD!!!!!! i never could drink the water I should, the nurse told me at the one yr check up that they prefer water, but drink liquid! I usually only drink water when I have lemon or when we eat out....I drink iced tea and coffee, a lot and the 2 cups of milk. I have been watching the color of the water in the toilet for over 2 yrs now!! :)

Ok thanks so much for the reassurance. It is just difficult to merge what he was told with what I was told when its the same Dr. What you both have mentioned does make much more sense than the 2-4 week foods that my Dr listed on the sample menu. I am just going to take it slow and do what I know is right for me.

You can always ASK him about it, ask him why the different instructions. That's what I'd do, but I love to ask questions!