Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Always Something, Never Nothing...

I am quite frustrated today...

I need to go over the lab and do my bloodwork, EKG and chest xray and then everything can be submitted to insurance. Which is great; however, apparently that yard work I did this weekend and pulling weeds included poison ivy and now I have a terrible rash that resulted in a steriod shot and a medrol dose pack for the next 10 days.

So, will this mess with my bloodwork results? Any nurses in the house to answer this one?

What do I do? Wait until all done with steroids or go ahead an have bloodwork drawn? (Keep in mind this is the baseline bloodwork for the surgeon...for example CBC, Lipid Panel, TSH, A1C, Thiamine, Folate, etc...

Usually when you are having blood work done, you have to fill out a questionnaire listing all medications you are on. I don't see why there would be a problem as long as you disclose everything on it, but I am not a nurse or doctor. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using VST

It can definitely mess with your fasting glucose level, if you are diabetic or pre-diabetic. It has been known to spike blood sugars in non diabetics. Short term use usually returns everything back to normal after stopping. Never stop prednisone suddenly, always taper down.

Ask your doctor.

LOL! I am not that stupid! I did indeed ask my PCP who administred the steroid shot and medrol dose pack; however, with that she stated she wasn't familiar with what they would be looking for in bariatric bloodwork. Just wanted to get the opinion of some of the nurses here that are familiar with bariatric protocol.

Thanks, NDN_RN for your response!

LOL! I am not that stupid! I did indeed ask my PCP who administred the steroid shot and medrol dose pack; however, with that she stated she wasn't familiar with what they would be looking for in bariatric bloodwork. Just wanted to get the opinion of some of the nurses here that are familiar with bariatric protocol.

Thanks, NDN_RN for your response!

I don't consider you stupid and assume you are asking a legitimate question. Sometimes there is nothing that will make up for the advice of the bariatric physician. My response was meant to be serious. My bariatric doctor's nurse takes all questions and passes those she can't answer on to the physician. If my pcp gave me that response, I would call my bariatric surgeon who would know what he is looking for. Sometimes "call your doctor" is the best advice you or I can get.

I had already placed a call into my bariatric surgeon's office - the nurse was gone for the day. They should be calling me back tomorrow. I was just hoping to get a jump start on understanding.

LOL! I am not that stupid! I did indeed ask my PCP who administred the steroid shot and medrol dose pack; however' date=' with that she stated she wasn't familiar with what they would be looking for in bariatric bloodwork. Just wanted to get the opinion of some of the nurses here that are familiar with bariatric protocol.

Thanks, NDN_RN for your response![/quote']

Any time. Your question was not specifically a bariatric question. 33 years of answering phone calls, and no, not all of them are turfed to the MD. It is what is called standards of practice. 4 years of intense college training and more for many of us, plus decades of work experience, we are expected to field calls that are common knowlege in the nursing field.

That said, Wait and see what the doctor says, hopefully it won't affect your blood work.