Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kidney stones & Lap Band

:help: I suffer from kidney stones. By the time my stones let themselves be known to me, they are too large to pass. I have been treated with Extracorporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy (ESWL) in the past and want to know if this would have any adverse effects on the band?;)

Mrs. Husker, (I lived in Husker Territory at one time)

Interesting for you to bring this up. I have had to have the lithotripsy myself, stints and all of that fun stuff. That was almost five years ago. I haven't had to have it since. I was just banded last week, so I'm hoping I don't find myself in that situation again. I don't know how well the band would take to being beaten. Good question to bring up to your doctor. I put that down on my "list" of surgeries and hospital visits, but they didn't say anything about it or seem concerned.

I have no idea about having had stones in the past and having the lapband. But I do have an experience with this now. I was banded 5 weeks ago, and diagnosed 2 weeks ago with kidney stones. From all my reading, it seems that a decrease in liquids, higher Protein in the diet, and being and overweight female are all contributing factors. I am curious if this is a side effect of the surgery, and how common it might be. I know it could easily be completely unrelated to surgery, but I am curious. Anyone else with kidney stones after surgery??

I had kidney stones about a month after my surgery. From what I have been told that it is caused by dehydration. That would make complete sense to me. For the first 2 weeks after surgery, I was lucky if I could get Water down. I went to the ER for my kidney stones. No fun. I am one of the biggest water advocates you will ever meet. Did you have your 64 ounces today?

Irish girl,

Looking at your stats, where you banded in 2006 or 2005? Your fills kind of indicate 2005, but I was just wondering. I was banded August 28th, 2006. Anyway, I have not had my 64 oz yet today. It is hard for me to get it down. I wait an hour after eating, then just forget, until I am hungry again, and want to eat. I have really been working on that. Today, I have had 16 oz so far, then Breakfast, and now I need to wait another 45 minutes. But I did get myself 32 oz of crystal light that is ready and in the fridge in my Water bottle, all ready for me.

Out of curiousity, did your stones pass on their own, or did you have some help, and how big were they. I am wondering how long to live in pain, and when to go back to the doctor. Any help would be appreciated.

Becki

Becki....I was banded April 28, 2006. I didn't have a long term condition, they hit all of the sudden. I never saw the stones when they did pass. It was really weird...I was driving from errands with my son (around 2 in the afternoon) and I felt overwhelmed with cramps and nausea. My first thought was that it was a wicked period. But the nausea kept getting worse. I went home and tried to lay down and kept feeling worse. I couldn't sip Water because I would throw it up. Finally around 9:30, we called 911. I was losing sensation in my arms because I was hyper-ventilating and was in extreme pain (reminded me of labor) that nothing I took would help. They ended up passing on their own once I had an IV and dilodid (sp). The pain killer helped me relax and the Fluid from the IV flushed them out. No fun.

Irish Girl,

So we were banded the same day. I am curious how you had fills before you had the band though? I have yet to have a fill, as my doctor won't do them until 6 weeks post-op.

You are luck that that they didn't drag on and on. I have been in pain for 3 weeks now. I know I have pretty large stones, but they are waiting to see if they will pass on their own. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Becki

Mommyrkr....

I was banded in April, not August. And I am more than happy to share my experiences if they help shed light on issues for other bandsters.

Irish Girl,

Thanks, April makes a lot more sense than August. I am guessing from your fills that you have the VG band. How has it all been going for you? Your weight loss is impressive. I will be going for my first fill on the 23rd of this month. And I am anxious to get there.

Have you been eating healthier, or just less? Do you PB very often? Is there much you can't eat? Are you exercising regularly also, so see such great results?

Thanks