Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So ... I'm going away to college in January ... I'm nervous because I want to get my surgery before then. I'm with kaiser and all their appointments are always scheduled weeks apart. Has anybody been with kaiser? If so how long did the whole process take?

It took about 6 months with Kaiser OC. I had to get a referral from my primary, attend an orientation, get scheduled for 12 Options classes, do numerous tests during the course of the options class, and schedule an appointment with the surgeon. Such a long process but well worth it. :)

Ok I've been to my orientation ... Met with my surgeon and I have my nut class on Friday... I hope I can get it all done in time

@ Dorrie Robles did I have the actual surgery local??

I have kaiser oc and have my orientation this week.

Liamlover2011: I had my surgery at at Dr. LePort's office in Fountain Valley and the doctor I used was Dr Francis. Or is it Dr kelly. her name is kelly francis or francis kelly. However she is very straight forward and professional.

The Orientation is informative and there will be a lot of people there. Like a whole room of people and lasts about 45 minutes to an hour. The also have you fill out some paper work too. No big deal. That's where they tell that they will call you to schedule the Options class for 12 weeks. It took about a week to get my class schedule. I do recommend that you give them about 4 days and call the Orange Pavilion Health Care to find out if you can schedule an appointment. It doesn't hurt to be pro active. :)

Hope to see you here really soon! :)

Thanks for responding I have another question of you don't mind! I have had little communication from kaiser(I have had to call and push to get responses) if they offer the options program to you does that mean they recommend medically the surgery? I have only met with my pcp an she had me do labs and an ECG then I got a call to do the options.... Again thank you

It is up to you in whether or not you have the surgery. But if they have offered you the orientations class, then yes, surgery is an option. Their job is to educate you in different options and will offer you other ways to lose weight. When I began, I knew that I needed the surgery because everything else wasn't working for me. I would try different diets, lose, gain the weight back. I was always hungry. My focus was to attend the 12 required classes, do all the necessary tests, and get the referral for Dr LePort's office. They did require a certain amount of weight loss and I had lost some weight, but not all the weight. If you miss one of the classes, you will be required to make it up and that makes the process much longer. Good luck and keep your focus if you know that this is what you need. :)

Kaiser in Los Angeles requires the 12 week Options Program, then referral to the surgeon if you meet the criteria, which is participating in the program, keeping food logs and losing 10% before surgery.

Perhaps your Kaiser program is not so stringent??

Surgery is what I want to do. I have been looking into it for a while and just recently took action. VST has been such a find! It's been so nice to ask questions from people going through it or have had it. I'm going to look into your surgeon to see if I would like to be referred there. What was the weight loss you had to do? 10%??

Also where does Dr Leport preform the surgery? I have seen lots of great reviews. I work in healthcare and certain hospitals I have had negative experiences with...

Kaiser said they required 10% etc. But I didn't lose 10%. I lost less than that. However, I had a low BMI to start with and when I went to the surgeon's they almost denied me surgery because my BMI was too low. Since I was diagnosed with diabetes, I was able to get the surgery. I had met another person that didn't lose her required amount and she was referred to the surgeon's office also. I believe it's Fountain Valley Hospital. The hospital was kinda old but the care was great. No complications and I have lost 77 lbs since starting this journey. :)

Thank you all the info has been super helpful! I just found out a co worker had it done with the same surgeons office. She has a different insurance but said same thing has had a great experience.