Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Know I Need To Drink More, But How?

I am just about 6 months out and down around 80 pounds, so I am doing well weight loss wise. However, I am still having a huge problem with getting enough Fluid throughout the day. I am always feeling tired so I think I am dehydrated since I take my recommended Vitamins and supplements. I know we get told to just sip sip sip but for some reason I just can't do it. I used to be a gulper so am not used to taking smaller drinks. I just feel like when I sip, I am getting nothing done because it takes forever for the drink to be gone haha.

Right now I am probably only getting in 48-50 ounces a day which obviously isn't enough for me because I used to drink 80+ ounces a day when I could gulp...So I was just wondering if you guys had any tips on how I could maybe trick myself into getting more fluids or ways that I can overcome the problem of no longer being able to take large drinks at a time.

I eat a lot of ice pops.....or sugar free popcycles. Also, I take crystal lite, freeze it in at least 1/2 a bottle Water (I use a liter one), then add more in the morning. This way, I get cold liquids all day long. I have been very easy and liquids go down very well...much better than solid food. Oh, I also love Lean shakes. They are from GNC (can be a little expensive) have 25gr or Protein, 2gr of suger, and only 170 calories. Drinking two of these a day I get 28 more ounces of liquids than I normally would. Hope this helped a little. Best of luch to you.

6 months out you should be able to take descent sips. I am 3 months Ana can finish a snapped in 5. My trick is to plan my begs by size. Whether you work or not, decide you will do 5 12 ounce beverages. You'll finish 1 by x time, the second by y time etc... It's an old WW trick. If you fail to plan, plan to fail. Drinking was hard for mes, but the schedule helped. If I was going to the mall, I knew that I had to drink 2 12 oz drinks and I threw them in my bag...

I have a large lidded cup 32 oz, that I consume. I am able to keep track of my intake better. I use a straw too. I haven't had any gas issues from it. I drink Water plain, with lemon or lime, cukes, anything to keep it fresh with out going sweet. I am tired of sweet. I was also a gulper. I probably still am actually. I used to drink a gallon of water a day with out flinching. When I'm out I keep a bottle of water with me and drink, drink, drink especially at every stop light.

Do you have to take tiny sips? I found this way of drinking made me MORE uncomfortable. I was doing this right after surgery...sip, sip, sip but with each sip air is swallowed. When I finally let myself actually take a sustained gulp - just like I used to, not putting the bottle down, more of a guzzle...it worked so much better. I do have to burp a bit after, but I can get more down in each drink, at least 3-4 times as much as the sip approach.

Some people actually do better with a straw...it is not recommended because of taking in air, but everyone is different, and some can tolerate it quite well and manage to get more liquid down.

Set a timer/alarm. It works absolute wonders.

I set my timer on my phone to go off every 10 or 15 minutes. This reminds me to have a drink.

I set my timer on my phone to go off every 10 or 15 minutes. This reminds me to have a drink.

I am just about 6 months out and down around 80 pounds, so I am doing well weight loss wise. However, I am still having a huge problem with getting enough Fluid throughout the day. I am always feeling tired so I think I am dehydrated since I take my recommended Vitamins and supplements. I know we get told to just sip sip sip but for some reason I just can't do it. I used to be a gulper so am not used to taking smaller drinks. I just feel like when I sip, I am getting nothing done because it takes forever for the drink to be gone haha.

Right now I am probably only getting in 48-50 ounces a day which obviously isn't enough for me because I used to drink 80+ ounces a day when I could gulp...So I was just wondering if you guys had any tips on how I could maybe trick myself into getting more fluids or ways that I can overcome the problem of no longer being able to take large drinks at a time.

It seems I spent my days trying to get Protein and water!!! My skin was dry, although I was never dehydrated, I needed Fluid. I talked to the nurse and she although Water is what they prefer, just drink iced tea, coffee....anything sugar free and not carbonated. That conversation changed my life! I keep fresh brewed tea all the time and if I'm up, I have a glass with me most of the time. I drink 3 or 4 cups of coffee a day and will drink a little Water here at the house once in a while. I always have water when we're out and make it a point to drink it!!