Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering Lap Band Surgery in Oregon

Hi Everyone,

I am seriously considering lap-band surgery in the state of Oregon. I have an appointment with my primary care Dr. tomorrow. To do a complete Physical before meeting with the nutritionist at the surgery center. I am just in the beginning stages of trying to get my insurance coverage, and to be approved for the surgery. I want to live a long and healthy life. Often the future doesn't look too bright for me, although I have allot to live for. I weigh close to 400 lbs. Much bigger than most people, my BMI is around 60, scary. I am turning 43 this month, and don't want to face 44 as a morbidly obese person. I guess I am looking for hope, I have had so many medical issues over the years.... I have moderate to severe RA (arthritis) and at my size this is not fun.... I can barely walk most of the time. I can stand up for 2-5 mins. at a time. I have to use a wheelchair if I need to walk to far, or stand for more than a few minutes. I am this huge person riding around Wal-mart in a motorized cart. If I have enough energy to go that is. I have 2 wonderful boys that my husband and I adopted at birth, they are now 12 and allmost 11 years old. I want to be around to see them grow up and get married and have kids.... Can anyone out ther offer hope, anyone been through something similar to me, and living post surgery who could share?

Thanks

Christina

Deciding on the band and actually starting the process is a huge step!! Good for you...I was banded in June and believe that I have done pretty good so far for myself with a long journey ahead of me...As my dr told me "the band is a tool, not a quick fix!"..One for sure has to stick to the rules and eat whats right and do your workout..My surgeon has me doing a 30 minute workout everyday, no sweets, no white flour and no Snacks and lots of Protein and Water of course...Its a very interesting journey as you learn how the band reacts to what you are doing but well worth the trip of course...I was very saddened in the beginning to think that I actually had to resort to having WLS but as the time got closer I was so very excited to see the outcome...I am excited for you, you can soon be on the other side (in bandsville)

HeavenlyHands, I understand what you are going through. Although I am 25 and you are 43, years don't matter when it comes to understanding how it feels to be morbidly obese. When you said, "I am the person in the motorized wheelchair at Wal-Mart", I could really relate. I feel the same way about many things. I am the person who asks for an extender on an airplane. I am the person who can't fit into a plastic lawnchair. I am the person that isn't comfortable in many cars. The great thing about these boards is that we are all those people, or have been those people.

I am seriously considering the surgery too. I have found in the short time I have been reading these boards that this is a safe place we can come to. I am so happy to hear that you are taking the first steps towards a better life! I will be getting insurance soon and hope to be following (in your soon-to-be) much smaller foot steps. Please keep posting to let us know your progress. We are all in this together and together we will lose weight!

Hi Christina,

Welcome to LBT! You will find many people here who have shared their stories and give hope to all of us. The band is such a wonderful tool and I am so thankful to have found it. It is like getting a second chance at life. I am sure this is a decision you will not regret. Please, do not hesitate to ask us questions. We are all here to support one another.

Hi Christina, I'm from Oregon too, down neer Roseburg. If your In. co. don't go for it like mine, I had to self pay and I'm going next Tue. for my pre-op, then wed for the band. It's costing us around $8,000 us. but worth every penny when it works. My Dr. is Dr.Kuri and he is in TJ. Mexico. I have herd the sometimes he will GIVE a band to People if they can't aford it eny other way..This Dr. is one of the best Doc. in Mexico and the USA..Good luck Ted