Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie from Illinois

Hi Lois.I just read your thread.Congradulations and I wish you all the best on your weight loss journey.Where is NYU Medical Center? I`ve been trying to find someone to do this for me that will accept Illinois Public Aid with no luck.So In August I started the documented dieting thing most of these places want you to have.I went on Adepex from my pcp and since Then I`ve lost about 25 pounds.It`s very slow going.I just wander if anyone will work with me now that I`ve been losing weight on this.I gave up searching for a surgeon in August when I got so down and fed up.The one I had, had to stop taking Public Aid.I had all my clearance testing done and everything.I know I`m slowly losing weight on these pills but I still want the lap band done.I Have been losing about 8-10 pounds a month but there are times when I get hungry and get the munchies and it`s very hard to stay in control.Good luck,and I hope to be on the losing side one of these days.

Kimberly Brich

Good Morning Kim,

I was banded in August 2006, by Dr. Shayani at Loyola University Health Systems in Maywood IL. My operation was covered by my insurance, but Loyola may accept Illinois Public Aid. Have you contacted Loyola? I absolutely love my doctor and the other lap band physicians at Loyola. The best of luck in your search. - LadyK :lol:

Hi LadyK.Sorry it took me so long to answere your post.I went to Dr.Shayani`s seminar in April this year.Saw him the next morning,he gave me the list of clearance tests I had to get done.I started getting them done right away.Then in June I started hearing rumors about him having to stop taking Il.medicaid .I finaaly got to talk to his staff and they definately are not taking medicaid any longer.They told me they would have to send me a paper to sign for them to release my medical records to me so I could find another Dr.I`m still not sure what the deal is but Loyola said something about not being certified and that they were in the process of getting their certification and that they didn`t know how long it would take to get their approval.I guess she was talking about medicaid.But this was in August.They still havn`t sent my medical records tho.I`m going to call today and see what the hold up is.I really liked Dr.Shayani and was very disapointed that I could no longer have him as my surgeon.

Hi Lois.Wow.I really like what you have to say about Dr.Field.He sounds like a very good Dr.But unless the funds he raises also includes the trip there and back,there`s no way I could possibly get there.I`m so so much poverty right now I`m barely affording to feed my son month by month:( .I`m losing weight slowly on the pills but I`m feeling hungry again more and more lately.I`ve been averaging 8-10 pounds of loss a month but I can guarntee it won`t be that much this month.But if there was a way for me to get there I would definately go anywhere to get this done.I was at the hospital yesterdy,my brother and his girlfriend just had a baby.I was in the gift shop with my brother,sister and my dad,and we were talking to the lady at the register about the baby and she looked at me and said,well it looks like your`e going to have one soon too.I was absolutely mortified!!!I wanted to just die right there:faint: .

I just wanted to say hello, I am also from Illinois (Chicago suburbs) and I am 3 weeks post-op out of the now defunct Wish Center in Aurora. I was self pay, so not much help on that front. Even when I did have insurance, the Drs I had did not feel as though the obesity cause any of my health issues. So, I took the money out of my house and that was that. Anyway, welcome to the board....

Hi LadyK.Sorry it took me so long to answere your post.I went to Dr.Shayani`s seminar in April this year.Saw him the next morning,he gave me the list of clearance tests I had to get done.I started getting them done right away.Then in June I started hearing rumors about him having to stop taking Il.medicaid .I finaaly got to talk to his staff and they definately are not taking medicaid any longer.They told me they would have to send me a paper to sign for them to release my medical records to me so I could find another Dr.I`m still not sure what the deal is but Loyola said something about not being certified and that they were in the process of getting their certification and that they didn`t know how long it would take to get their approval.I guess she was talking about medicaid.But this was in August.They still havn`t sent my medical records tho.I`m going to call today and see what the hold up is.I really liked Dr.Shayani and was very disapointed that I could no longer have him as my surgeon.

Stay the course, I am sure someone in Illinois should be able to help you. If I hear of anyone I will let you know. Best Regards.

I just wanted to say hello, I am also from Illinois (Chicago suburbs) and I am 3 weeks post-op out of the now defunct Wish Center in Aurora. I was self pay, so not much help on that front. Even when I did have insurance, the Drs I had did not feel as though the obesity cause any of my health issues. So, I took the money out of my house and that was that. Anyway, welcome to the board....

Welcome diane5467! I am also a from the western suburbs, I am 7 weeks post-op, I have had 2 fills and I am down 16 pounds. My first fill did not work well for me, but that second fill gave me all the restriction that I could handle. When you get health insurance, you may be covered for your fills. My friend went to Mexico for the procedure (self-pay), came back to the states and was doing self-pay for her fills; I researched and found that our insurance would cover her fills. Just an FYI... Take care.

I am in the Chicago bubs too, I'm in Romeoville, where is everyone else? Maybe we can all get together for lunch sometime soon? ~Mandy

I am in the Chicago bubs too, I'm in Romeoville, where is everyone else? Maybe we can all get together for lunch sometime soon? ~Mandy

Hi Mandy,

I am in Northlake which is near Elmhurst, it would be fun to get the Illinois group together.

Diane

Welcome diane5467! I am also a from the western suburbs, I am 7 weeks post-op, I have had 2 fills and I am down 16 pounds. My first fill did not work well for me, but that second fill gave me all the restriction that I could handle. When you get health insurance, you may be covered for your fills. My friend went to Mexico for the procedure (self-pay), came back to the states and was doing self-pay for her fills; I researched and found that our insurance would cover her fills. Just an FYI... Take care.

I have lost 21 pounds though 8 pounds was from the two week pre-op liquid diet I was on. All in all, a good head start. I will be getting a fill at 6 weeks, but I am doing well with the restriction I have with the band just being there. I have learned not to wait until I feel full and I eat out of a little oval bowl that only fits how much I should eat. If I am hungry in a few hours, I just eat again. I am calling it grazing all day. Works so far and I don't feel like I am giving up food at all.

Mandy (piercedqt) suggested a lunch outing, if you are interested put the city you are from and we can maybe see where the middle area would be.

TTYAS,

Diane

I have lost 21 pounds though 8 pounds was from the two week pre-op liquid diet I was on. All in all, a good head start. I will be getting a fill at 6 weeks, but I am doing well with the restriction I have with the band just being there. I have learned not to wait until I feel full and I eat out of a little oval bowl that only fits how much I should eat. If I am hungry in a few hours, I just eat again. I am calling it grazing all day. Works so far and I don't feel like I am giving up food at all.

Mandy (piercedqt) suggested a lunch outing, if you are interested put the city you are from and we can maybe see where the middle area would be.

TTYAS,

Diane

You have no restriction right now, just you wait. Once you have a fill, a good fill you will have to give up or relearn how to eat certain foods. Now that a have had my second fill at week 7, I an learning to eat 1/2 of what I ate over the last 6 weeks. It is certainly a different way of life now, but I have lost 4.5 lbs this week. lunch would be good, somewhere centrally located for all. Have a good weekend.

You have no restriction right now, just you wait. Once you have a fill, a good fill you will have to give up or relearn how to eat certain foods. Now that a have had my second fill at week 7, I an learning to eat 1/2 of what I ate over the last 6 weeks. It is certainly a different way of life now, but I have lost 4.5 lbs this week. lunch would be good, somewhere centrally located for all. Have a good weekend.

Lady K,

I had posted saying I do feel restriction with the unfilled band in place and that I using a bowl that helps me eat the correct amount.

You are telling me I don't have any restriction and I will have to relearn how to eat.

Pardon me for saying this, but everyone is different and I AM feeling restriction just with the band being in place. I will not have to "relearn" how to eat because I am not eating the wrong foods or the wrong amounts. I may choose to not get a fill right away because I am fine with losing slowly. I think I prefer the gentle reminder instead of the fears of getting stuck, slimes, and PB's unless my weight loss stalls.

Lady K,

I had posted saying I do feel restriction with the unfilled band in place and that I using a bowl that helps me eat the correct amount.

You are telling me I don't have any restriction and I will have to relearn how to eat.

Pardon me for saying this, but everyone is different and I AM feeling restriction just with the band being in place. I will not have to "relearn" how to eat because I am not eating the wrong foods or the wrong amounts. I may choose to not get a fill right away because I am fine with losing slowly. I think I prefer the gentle reminder instead of the fears of getting stuck, slimes, and PB's unless my weight loss stalls.

Yes you are correct, everyone is different. How each of us use the tool (the band) is a personal choice.

I know this thread is old, but I recently visiting Mount Sinai Hospital in Chicago. They accept IDPA or Illinois Public Aid and really took great care of me. You can reach them at 773-257-2020.

Ash.

Stay the course, I am sure someone in Illinois should be able to help you. If I hear of anyone I will let you know. Best Regards.